Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

People Mover/ATS @O’Hare/ORD shuttle train ceases ops until 202? [REOPENED 11/3/21]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: onthesam
Update 10/29/2021:

Per the Chicago Tribune, quoting a spokesperson from the Chicago Department of Aviation, the ATS is set to reopen "within the month".
---

On October 18, 2019, the Chicago Department of Avaition announced that the People Mover / Airport Transit System (ATS) will remain closed until at least early 2020.

From the official ORD airport site

Transportation Between Terminals (ATS & TTB)
The O’Hare Airport Transit System (ATS or “people mover) is closed 24/7 to finalize modernization efforts and expansion of the system.

In order to maintain a travel connection between all of O’Hare’s terminals and parking lots, the CDA will operate shuttle buses to transport passengers and employees between terminals (Terminals 1, 2, 3 and 5) and from the terminals to each economy parking lot (Lots E, G, H); the Multi-Modal Facility, where rental cars are housed; and the Metra O’Hare Transfer station. The buses will operate continuously to ensure prompt and reliable service while the ATS is closed.

If connecting between domestic Terminals 1, 2 & 3, you DON’T have to take the shuttle buses, you can walk. Simply follow in-airport signage.

The CDA is committed to providing a quick and reliable bus shuttle service as the ATS modernization is finalized. The new ATS is scheduled to open sometime in 2020..
This has been a long-planned / announced Airport Transit System (ATS) Improvement Project

For airside T3 to T5 transfers - AND EFFECTIVE 6/14/2019 T1 to T5 Transfers
you can take a Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) from Terminals 1 and 3 to Terminal 5 and bypass the security checkpoint in Terminal 5. The Terminal Transfer Bus service is year round with operation hours as follows: 11:00 am - 9:00 pm. If you are arriving into the domestic terminals and need to collect your luggage (exit the security side of the airport) and recheck in T5, you will not be able to use this service. Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 Pickup Locations
Gate B1
Gate G17
Gate K20
Gate L24
You must have your onward (international) BP and Passport in order to board the TTB from either T1 or T3 to T5.

If you arrive at O'Hare on an international flight and have a connecting domestic flight, you will arrive at Terminal 5 and will need to take the ATS {shuttle bus transfer service} to the domestic terminals. You will need to clear security again at the domestic terminals.

Print Wikipost

People Mover/ATS @O’Hare/ORD shuttle train ceases ops until 202? [REOPENED 11/3/21]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
3 hours will work. UA will be only 5* club option
Old Aug 16, 2019, 2:32 pm

I think you have the option of re-clearing security and taking the airside bus (reports that this takes a lot of walking, and no Pre -- but no traffic), or taking the landside bus and clearing security in T1.

More discussion on the non-UA thread:

ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Sorry, holiday travelers: Reopening of O’Hare ‘ people mover’ delayed again, to early 2020

Annnndddddd:

Chicago Department of Aviation Commissioner Jamie Rhee announced Friday that upgrades to the popular “people mover” now are not expected to be completed until early next year. She blamed an unspecified “mechanical issue discovered during on-track testing.”
And now the city expects the system to open back up in “early 2020,” according to Rhee’s letter, although she noted that “at this time, there is no specific date.”

“We are very close. But ... this is a driverless system, featuring proprietary automated technologies that have not been used before and that require a rigorous testing program,” she said.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/inves...m7u-story.html

Will update wiki.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Chicago ORD Management proves it’s incompetence again

Amazing. Failure after abject failure. I’m going to start flying MKE-ORD to avoid this stinking mess. Enough already. Adding 40 minutes to my trip home every flight just to get to my car is beyond tolerance.

China can build 18,000 miles of high speed railway In under a decade and we cannot extend an existing shuttle train 1/8 of a mile in over two years time. The old system was driverless and saying the new system is driverless and that’s why it’s taking so long is lousy excuse-making. MKE can take my parking dollars and the walk from the surface lot or garage is almost instantaneous. My United Club membership is going to go on hold for 2020 unless this problem gets fixed.
Miggles, narvik, atword and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Is this the same train that goes to the parking lot and the new rental car center or is that a different train wreck?
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Is this the same train that goes to the parking lot and the new rental car center or is that a different train wreck?
Same one.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Yes, once it opens, the line is extended to the new rental car center. I believe some maintenance overhaul was also being done.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Yes, once it opens, the line is extended to the new rental car center. I believe some maintenance overhaul was also being done.
From what I recall, it's an all-new system, including new cars, that happens to utilize the existing track plus an extension to the new rental car center/garage.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by tryathlete
Amazing. Failure after abject failure. I’m going to start flying MKE-ORD to avoid this stinking mess. Enough already. Adding 40 minutes to my trip home every flight just to get to my car is beyond tolerance.

China can build 18,000 miles of high speed railway In under a decade and we cannot extend an existing shuttle train 1/8 of a mile in over two years time. The old system was driverless and saying the new system is driverless and that’s why it’s taking so long is lousy excuse-making. MKE can take my parking dollars and the walk from the surface lot or garage is almost instantaneous. My United Club membership is going to go on hold for 2020 unless this problem gets fixed.
You may or may not be serious, but after moving to WI I learned that the fastest way to ORD was ex-WI on UA or AA. TSA is a breeze and people are happier. Not dealing with ORD parking and security lines is so, so, so nice!
wrp96 and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atword
You may or may not be serious, but after moving to WI I learned that the fastest way to ORD was ex-WI on UA or AA. TSA is a breeze and people are happier. Not dealing with ORD parking and security lines is so, so, so nice!
I might guess that if you start north of Libertyville, even, it would be worthwhile to go MKE.

And in another scenario, if arriving TATL and using CTA to Chicago, it's almost worth adding a connection at IAD.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:38 am

MKE can take my parking dollars and the walk from the surface lot or garage is almost instantaneous. My United Club membership is going to go on hold for 2020 unless this problem gets fixed.
I've never had much of a delay walking from the ORD garage to T1. Depending on which level you're on, it usually takes less than 3 minutes. Not sure how much shorter the walk is in MKE.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Luckily I only arrive on the early LHR or FRA flights and have never experienced any significant delay waiting for the transfer bus.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by threeoh
I've never had much of a delay walking from the ORD garage to T1. Depending on which level you're on, it usually takes less than 3 minutes. Not sure how much shorter the walk is in MKE.
Those who park in the economy lots E,F,G & H, however, have been taking a shuttle buses since the ATS was shut down.

When on OPM, I park at the $40/day indoor Garage Lot A. Otherwise, it's the blue line for me.

Unsolicited OT pro tip: When parking in the garage (lot A), ignore the signage and proceed to Level 4, Blackhawks level. There you will find a bridge that takes you directly to the departures level @ T1, bypassing the long walk through the underground tunnel and subsequent 2-story escalator journey. Works in reverse as well!
Xyzzy and Dublin_rfk like this.

Last edited by onthesam; Oct 19, 2019 at 12:45 pm
Old Oct 19, 2019, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by onthesam
Those who park in the economy lots E,F,G & H, however, have been taking a shuttle buses since the ATS was shut down.
Economy lots H, F & G have always required a shuttle bus (though new F won't, after the project). Currently Lot E is less convenient, I agree, but not less convenient than MKE's economy lot, which also requires a bus.

That's why I'm confused. OP was comparing MKE's walking-distance lot to ORD's remote lot, which doesn't make any sense to me. Both airports have convenient lots, directly connected to the terminal, and less convenient lots connect by bus.

When on OPM, I park at the $40/day indoor Garage Lot A. Otherwise, it's the blue line for me.
Sure, I usually take the blue line or a taxi, but I've parked in Garage A, Economy E, Economy G, and off-site shuttle places (also taken ATS to Pace Bus 250!) depending on the circumstances.

Currently I'd park in A (convenient), G (cheap), or F (covered, mid-price). Not a lot going for Lot E right now.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Clarification

Originally Posted by threeoh
milwaukee surface lot parking is a few steps from the terminal and costs about the same as the E and F lots which take as long as 30-40’minutes at peak times to get to. That’s my point. Parking at MKE and flying to ORD given I live equidistant from the two airports is My strategy until the train runs. It’s just so much easier. Yeah I need to allow connection time in ORD but that’s less frustrating than those crappy busses at ORD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.