Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Links to past/current threads on this topic and related GS threads:
2020 Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2001958-consolidated-global-services-thread-benefits-questions-experiences-2020-a.html
Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2018]
Thread on 2019 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2019 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:

• GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits

• Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
GS now what?

Just got granted GS status today (first time) but recently bought several tickets, some as recent as yesterday, to various location about the globe literally. Some are on other carriers (AS) so not much to do about that but with UA tickets I purchased I assume I will be granted GS status even though purchased when not GS? Also, I applied instruments to everything even some short hop runs like SFO -LAX and back which I now feel I will roll the dice on a CPU so I assume I can call and just pull them? On my longer flights TCONs, TPACs, and TATLs I have applied GPU which I fell like I may let them ride but any advice on this would be appreciated as this is now all new to me. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nomad420
Just got granted GS status today (first time) but recently bought several tickets, some as recent as yesterday, to various location about the globe literally. Some are on other carriers (AS) so not much to do about that but with UA tickets I purchased I assume I will be granted GS status even though purchased when not GS? Also, I applied instruments to everything even some short hop runs like SFO -LAX and back which I now feel I will roll the dice on a CPU so I assume I can call and just pull them? On my longer flights TCONs, TPACs, and TATLs I have applied GPU which I fell like I may let them ride but any advice on this would be appreciated as this is now all new to me. Thanks in advance.
Naturally now that you are GS all your reservations should have that status. What I would do is check all your TCONs, TPACs and TATLs to see if on any of those flights there is PN fare available as that is the upgrade fare for the GS GPUs. PN opens before PZ so increases your chances for upgrades.

I forgot to say: "Congratulations!"

Last edited by StuckinITH; Jan 24, 2019 at 3:37 pm
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Naturally now that you are GS all your reservations should have that status. What I would do is check all your TCONs, TPACs and TATLs to see if on any of those flights there is PN fare available as that is the upgrade fare for the GS GPUs. PN opens before PZ so increases your chances for upgrades.
Interestingly I of course checked for PZ space and found none (no surprise) at booking. So far (as of an hour ago) nothing has cleared (instrument wise) so I will run through some of the flights and look for PN as I believe I did indeed see some of the long runs with PN>1. As I noted this is a bit of a game changer for me, I previously would throw as many as 10 GPUs out at the end of the year unused. So over the last couple of years I basically automatically applied them to EVERYTHING I booked. This year I guess I will go back to not using them on the short flights and reserve them for the longer runs.

Sorry a couple of additional questions. Can GS pax get a CPU on PS routes or do you still need to apply instruments on those? If you use mile for a purchase is GS pax legible for CPU on those tickets.? TPAC and TATL also eligible for CPU / instant upgrade depending on the class of ticket.? BTW, I did read the wiki and will continue to study it but thanks in advance. Any and all help is much appreciated.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 24, 2019 at 10:30 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:51 pm

Sorry a couple of additional questions. Can GS pax get a CPU on PS routes or do you still need to apply instruments on those? If you use mile for a purchase is GS pax legible for CPU on those tickets.? TPAC and TATL also eligible for CPU / instant upgrade depending on the class of ticket.? BTW, I did read the wiki and will continue to study it but thanks in advance. Any and all help is much appreciated.
For sure TPAC and TATL are not CPU eligible. You need to apply an instrument for the upgrades: GPUs or miles + copay (on some high fares there's no copay needed). On TPAC and TATL there is no instant upgrades for the Y/B/M fares like for domestic flights. The instant upgrade is if you find PN>0 at time of booking (and your fare is W or higher) and apply an upgrade instrument.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:52 pm

You'll need an RPU.
Yes.
Yes. but still clear into PN, and before any non GS members.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Interestingly I of course checked for PZ space and found none (no surprise) at booking. So far (as of an hour ago) nothing has cleared (instrument wise) so I will run through some of the flights and look for PN as I believe I did indeed see some of the long runs with PN>1. As I noted this is a bit of a game changer for me, I previously would throw as many as 10 GPUs out at the end of the year unused. So over the last couple of years I basically automatically applied them to EVERYTHING I booked. This year I guess I will go back to not using them on the short flights and reserve them for the longer runs.
One thing to look for even if PN is unavailable is for P class inventory on a flight. Many of us have found this to be the best proxy for PN clearing. In personal experience, when I waitlist a instrument where P=9 at booking, at times my waitlist clears instantly, other times in a few days.

You may may still want to apply the RPUs domestically ... CPU are becoming much rarer, even for GS, due to cheap P fares and TOD but up offers at checkin.

Welcome to the group!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by greenpau

One thing to look for even if PN is unavailable is for P class inventory on a flight. Many of us have found this to be the best proxy for PN clearing. In personal experience, when I waitlist a instrument where P=9 at booking, at times my waitlist clears instantly, other times in a few days.

You may may still want to apply the RPUs domestically ... CPU are becoming much rarer, even for GS, due to cheap P fares and TOD but up offers at checkin.

Welcome to the group!
Agreed.

I was out of 2019 RPUs and didn't want to use any of my 2020s (hoarding them now that we only get 2)
My CPU cleared EWR-FLL but flight was delayed and after the switch I was number 2 on the list because another GS member was WLs with an RPU
Currently posting from the back of the plane lol
At least I got my free beverage..
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:57 pm

Thanks again to all and I will probably be asking some future dumb question so I apologize now. I have a family member (nephew) who has been GS for several years and he said while technically TPAC and TATLs and eligible for CPU upgrades he said even for GS they are becoming rare, so much so that over they last two years either he bought up to biz or used instruments. Just curious what do others have to say about this issue. I know that after years of 1K even with an instrument international flight upgrades were become very hard to come by. So much so that I stopped using them all together and bought up to Biz for my international travel rather than risk an E+ seat to SIN for example.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
A datapoint here around TODs: my wife (also a GS) was booked in Y on an SFO - IAD. I’m forget the fate bucket but J was $2k. She was offered a TOD for $200 upon check in
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I know that after years of 1K even with an instrument international flight upgrades were become very hard to come by. So much so that I stopped using them all together and bought up to Biz for my international travel rather than risk an E+ seat to SIN for example.
GS offers a much better chance of seeing confirmable space at booking. If you are not willing to fly a segment in Y, waitlisting is still a bad idea.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks again to all and I will probably be asking some future dumb question so I apologize now. I have a family member (nephew) who has been GS for several years and he said while technically TPAC and TATLs and eligible for CPU upgrades he said even for GS they are becoming rare, so much so that over they last two years either he bought up to biz or used instruments. Just curious what do others have to say about this issue. I know that after years of 1K even with an instrument international flight upgrades were become very hard to come by. So much so that I stopped using them all together and bought up to Biz for my international travel rather than risk an E+ seat to SIN for example.
Wow congratulations! I hope you report on your upgrade successes as often as you have reported on your failures in the past. Note that TPAC and TATL are NOT eligible for CPU. I think you have a typo in your message but just wanted to be sure.

As I mentioned previously, through some combination of planning, flexibility, and judicious usage of instruments, I had a 100% upgrade rate out of SFO last year (including 6 SFO-SIN T->XN->PN and multiple PS segments).
jjmoore likes this.

Last edited by SFOdelayed; Jan 25, 2019 at 5:35 am
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed

Wow congratulations. I hope you report on your upgrade successes as often as you have reported on your failures in the past. Note that TPAC and TATL are NOT eligible for CPU. I think you have a typo in your message but just wanted to be sure.

As I mentioned previously, through some combination of planning, flexibility, and judicious usage of instruments, I had a 100% upgrade rate out of SFO last year (including 6 SFO-SIN T->XN->PN and multiple PS segments).
I wonder if the decrease in RPU / GPU accrual this year will result in more op ups on TPAC / TATL / PS in 2020 once the dust settles. I see instances where these flights oversell and the upgrade list usually takes care of it... but now that the likelihood that far fewer will be on these upgrade lists, there will be some "CPU's" in the form of op-ups..... would be nice!!
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:47 am

I have a family member (nephew) who has been GS for several years and he said while technically TPAC and TATLs and eligible for CPU upgrades he said even for GS they are becoming rare......
I seriously doubt that that statement is true. For TPAC and TATL even a GS needs to apply a GPU or the other upgrade instrument.
TavionT likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by SFOdelayed

Wow congratulations! I hope you report on your upgrade successes as often as you have reported on your failures in the past. Note that TPAC and TATL are NOT eligible for CPU. I think you have a typo in your message but just wanted to be sure.

Thanks much and I only hope my success with upgrades and instrument use will be better than with 1K status. In fact I will be glad to post some successes. I was literally at a point of moving my business to other carriers, in my case AS. In fact I already purchase several tickets with AS prior to getting the GS invite. I actually have a couple of runs with AS to KOA and SEA over the next couple of weeks with zero status of course. I am going to book some TCONs and at least one TATL and see what happens and I'll let you know how that goes. I may actually try to book a SFO-EWR-SFO run later this day if I have time. My wife is happy as she got the status through our both being UA Million Milers. She may actually end up using the benefits more than me in 2019.

Oh yeah, perhaps I read the response wrong to my question above but I thought someone said that GS pax WERE eligible for CPUs on TPAC and TATLs but not too surprised to learn we are NOT. However, from what you state clearing instruments as a GS is FAR easier than as a 1K.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I seriously doubt that that statement is true. For TPAC and TATL even a GS needs to apply a GPU or the other upgrade instrument.
Sorry as I noted I read one of the above responses incorrectly where I thought GS WERE eligible for CPUs on TATLs and TPACs but obviously I now know otherwise. Admittedly when I spoke with my nephew yesterday he seemed puzzled and said he always used an instrument with his international flights. Thanks to all for the clarification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.