FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   What would your GS program look like? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1948118-what-would-your-gs-program-look-like.html)

wanderingkev Dec 29, 2018 7:15 pm

What would your GS program look like?

Just thought I would throw this out as a year end teaser as GS roll call and PQ everything are top of mind .. what would you be your top three to five attributes be of the top tier ??. Not completely re designing modifying what is current.
For fun ...here are mine
1. Make the min requirement transparent
2. Make it elite - raise the entry bar ...min of $75k maybe a $100k or some points number equating
3. Really personalize the service- True GS line- direct contact for Irrops issues etc
4.Keep the current system of looking for cheap mileage fares but add upgrade confirmation
5. When booking family they get E plus at booking instead of the 10 people traveling with you deal- reduce that to 4 -6

There go... Bon Annee !!

globetraveler Dec 29, 2018 8:11 pm

Here are a few of mine!

1) If GS member is waitlisted for a CPU/RPU/GPU, T-24-48H, GS upgrade clears ahead of any buy up offers for other passengers. One could argue that this would encourage less premium fare spend, but if that’s the case then the GS wouldn’t requalify... would be nice when traveling for leisure!

2) More flexibility from GS phone agents. I have found over the past year that agents are far less flexible.

3) Complimentary United Club Membership!

4) Polaris Lounge Access on Transcon (PS only) when ticketed in Business Class! (AA is FAR superior in this category with their premium lounges at JFK and LAX for example). Being denied access as a GS on a full fare transcon PS is embarrassing for UA, particularly when the fare is sometimes $5K!

5) Reserve a handful of Econ+ premium aisle seats for GS/1K members. I can’t tell you how many irrops have resulted in no available F seats, and being stuck in a non Econ + seat. It would also be nice for booking last minute when the seat maps are typically full.

getagb Dec 29, 2018 9:39 pm

All I want is better support for when I’m on a paid ticket and my companion is on an award ticket
  • Put us together on the upgrade list
  • Let me put them in E+ without calling
  • Let us SDC together
Probably 80% of my calls to the GS line are about my award companion

flyerbjorn Dec 29, 2018 10:03 pm

I'm pretty happy with the current program.
  • T -> XN for 1+ family members, even when I'm not traveling with them. (This used to be the case. It changed on Dec 12)
  • Domestic lounge access.
  • SDC of maybe 36-48h, so you can SDC once a day international flights.
  • E+ for immediate family, even when I'm not traveling with them.

TexasAggie02 Dec 29, 2018 10:03 pm

Consistency would be nice.

That goes towards:
Phone agents
Flight Attendants
GS agents
Airport transfers (golf cart or tarmac)
Overall benefits.

I expect inconsistencies - and am surprised when it all works (about 5-10% of my segments). If it worked consistently as designed there would be a lot more happy GS.

flyerbaby19 Dec 29, 2018 10:15 pm

P = PN
S converts to saver regardless of whether traveling or not
Basic Economy earns PQM (1/2), PQD and Lifetime miles

CDSEA Dec 29, 2018 10:16 pm

Less members, higher entry threshold.

LordHamster Dec 30, 2018 6:27 am

Make pre-board and picking former GF seats a GS exclusive. No 1Ks allowed.

Often1 Dec 30, 2018 8:32 am

Just like all qualifications for everything "special," make the minimum qualifications exactly those which I meet and boot everybody below me.:p

BeanTownBoy Dec 30, 2018 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by globetraveler (Post 30586721)

3) Complimentary United Club Membership

Was speaking with a GS CSR recently giving general feedback and observations. Noted that many GS would like UC membership included. Rep replied that UC membership has been on the GS wishlist for many years and UAL has given no signs of giving in, but...one can never tell.

UA_Flyer Dec 30, 2018 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by BeanTownBoy (Post 30588596)
Was speaking with a GS CSR recently giving general feedback and observations. Noted that many GS would like UC membership included. Rep replied that UC membership has been on the GS wishlist for many years and UAL has given no signs of giving in, but...one can never tell.

Do DL and AA provide lounge memberships to their GS-equivalent passengers?

Often1 Dec 30, 2018 1:35 pm

DL comps diamonds (or at least makes it an option for a diamond's "choice benefit.") That is an earned status, roughly equivalent to 1K.

But, I do not see UA budging on this issue.

dlflyer00 Dec 30, 2018 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30588743)
DL comps diamonds (or at least makes it an option for a diamond's "choice benefit.") That is an earned status, roughly equivalent to 1K.

But, I do not see UA budging on this issue.

Delta 360 (roughly GS) gives a family membership as well. But 360 lacks in most other places.

Baze Dec 30, 2018 1:48 pm

Surprised no one has said this, If it is "my" GS program I will always be GS no matter what I do. Everyone else would need to meet the requirements to get the benefits.

Requirements - $100K spend on premium class tickets only on UA metal only.
Benefits -
All family members get highest class of service on flight offered up to the number of seats in the class.
First to board before pre-boarding.
Personal concierge at every departure and arrival point.
United club membership and entry to Polaris lounge if there is one.
First choice of meal
Personal cart or car for any connections.
Ability to book any flight even if oversold
Pick any seat even if someone else has already selected the seat. (I do have a heart, if person already seated in the seat I can't boot them out of the seat).
Get same benefits on other airlines if UA doesn't go there, UA would make it happen.

Hey, you did say what would be "my" GS.

jpezaris Dec 30, 2018 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by CDSEA (Post 30586929)
Less members, higher entry threshold.

Fewer members ... really? I rarely see more than 1 or 2 GS during pre-board, and as a 1K, I'm usually really close to the cutoff for upgrades (either just above, which means all GSes are happy, or left in the dust at #1 , which means that all GSes are happy, too).

What sort of jam-packed GS competition exists that us lowly 1Ks don't get to see?