Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

WOW! Haven't heard this in a long time...FA announced gate #'s for connecting flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WOW! Haven't heard this in a long time...FA announced gate #'s for connecting flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I'm in the camp of not wanting gate assignments on the plane - mostly because if cutting off IFE and for me it is just unnecessary. Even I remembered/wrote down the announcement, personally - I wouldn't trust it, I'd still seek out a monitor when I land.....
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Ok, first of all, the less talking the FAs do the better. Second, the Hemisphere magazines are yours for the taking. So don’t feel guilty. Finally, gates change all the time so that announcement is likely to be 75% correct.
Miggles likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
As long as it doesn’t cut into the time allowed for the credit card application announcement.........
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
I like the very rare gate announcements only because I am impressed and happy to have a FA on the plane that actually cares about its passengers and puts in an effort.
The actual information is just about useless to me, but it's the thought that counts! ^
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Sykes
It's one of the things that turns me off about AA.
Don't know the last time you've flown AA but since the merger they have done away with the inflight gate announcements.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I was just thinking the same thing. Had a pretty tight connection at IAH due to a delay leaving me about 10min to get to my gate before boarding ends (luckily the gate was only 2 away). I think many people had tight connections as later I saw people running past me up the gate bridge (probably had to connect to another terminal. The FA read many connections out. Usually, you just hear them refer you to the GA.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: United 1K
My preference is for flight attendants to personsally notify individual passengers with tight connections. I feel that gate announcements over the PA are reasonable when a large number of passengers have the same tight connection due to a delay. Using the PA for gate announcements is also reasonable when the flights attendants must remain seated due to turbulence.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by mozilla
Dedicated jetway-facing transfer information screens - with customized information for the transferring pax on the flight - seem to be a good compromise.

The disadvantage is that they may create a bottleneck of pax consulting the screens, clogging the jetway.

There were monitors like that just opposite the end of the jetway at Munich, if I remember right, causing an entirely predictable bottleneck. I commented to our handicap assistant that whoever decided to put that there wasn't thinking. She said there was always a slowdown as people stopped to look for their connecting gates.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
It (announcements of gate #s for connecting flights) may not happen often but for flights that were already delayed and with significant numbers of passengers connecting, the FAs will have their game faces on anyway because of the number of questions they would be getting en-route.

For myself, on my LAX-SFO flight on 12/18/18 where we were waiting for SFO runway paint to dry and ended up arriving over 3 hours late, the purser was providing feedback on gates to folks over the PA going to ACV, etc. It also happens a bit on late flights into either SFO or LAX when other passengers are connecting to TPAC flights (SYD, MEL, etc.) What matters is usually the distance to the next flight gate and particularly how many folks are connecting onward.

David
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
As long as it doesn’t cut into the time allowed for the credit card application announcement.........
No worries there. I have heard the credit card announcements at the beginning of flights recently.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Indeed it does but those maps by themselves aren't that helpful (especially if you can't sneak one off the plane)
You don’t have to “sneak”. It’s okay to take the magazine.

However, it is NOT okay to rip pages out of the magazine and leave the mutilated copy in the seat back to frustrate the next passenger.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by kale73

You don’t have to “sneak”. It’s okay to take the magazine.

However, it is NOT okay to rip pages out of the magazine and leave the mutilated copy in the seat back to frustrate the next passenger.
I've actually heard a few FA's make an announcement pointing out the airport map at the back of the magazine and actually say "feel free to tear it out and take it with you"

Originally Posted by mozilla
Dedicated jetway-facing transfer information screens - with customized information for the transferring pax on the flight - seem to be a good compromise.

The disadvantage is that they may create a bottleneck of pax consulting the screens, clogging the jetway.
I wonder how much of a bottleneck was created by the person who took that photo.

Also, keep in mind that even in this day and age, not everyone has the United app, knows how to use their smartphone, or even owns a smartphone. Knowing the gate prior getting off the plane on a very tight connection can be helpful even if one should check the monitors too but those arent always close by.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by eng3
I've actually heard a few FA's make an announcement pointing out the airport map at the back of the magazine and actually say "feel free to tear it out and take it with you"
Of course I could always grab a copy of Rhapsody and Hemispheres at the UC if they still have those there. Can anyone recall if they still do (wasn't looking for it when I was at the BF UC lounge at SFO last week)?

-James
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
I had a great purser the other day on BUR-SFO (A319) in First thank every passenger by name for their loyalty, and if they had a connection he had looked up the gate on his phone and informed them of it and how far of a walk it would be from the gate that we were parking at.

I've had this guy twice (once on P.S.) and he is by far the best flight attendant I've seen in the system to date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.