Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Currently inflight and fearing lost bag (bag tracker not showing bag made the flight)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Currently inflight and fearing lost bag (bag tracker not showing bag made the flight)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AMEX Plat
How soon would the app alert a mis-route? We’re 40 minutes out and still nothing.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn
How soon would the app alert a mis-route? We’re 40 minutes out and still nothing.
I don't believe any updates are made unless any changes are made. So if the bag is scanned again you'll get an update. Perhaps the fact you've not had an update suggests it's on your flight and misregistered, or perhaps it means it's just sitting in BOS.

The advice fastair gave earlier is good: just see what happens when you get to LAX. However, in the mean time don't give too much weight to what the app says, as it can be incomplete or misleading.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
When you check in early UA has a propensity for sending your bag on the next flight and holding at your arrival. In such cases, the bag trcker can get confused. The last time I did this the the bag tracker apologised to me for mis-routing my bag and requested I contact United to schedule delivery. However, it was sitting there for me when I actually arrived.
But will they send the bag on a connecting itinerary when the passenger is booked on a nonstop? If so, the bag could easily have gone out on UA 448 to DEN and then on UA 1613 arriving LAX at 8:30 - an hour before OP's scheduled arrival.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
I had a connecting flight with a 3 hour connection recently. My bag never showed any progress until I got to my final destination.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Bag was first one out.
wxguy, as219, Miles Ahead and 6 others like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: None anymore
Bag was first one out.
Awesome!!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
I don’t want FT to do anything, but I did want to hear from people who have experienced the app not showing as on board and then the bag arriving with the flight, which sounds like is possible, based on the replies.

Like I said in the first post, I’ve never had it show as not checked, so I wanted to know if that means it will not be there.
Gotcha. I haven't had the bag tracker work consistently but also rarely check bags.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by warrenw
Awesome!!
So I guess they located it at the last minute - "oh crap, another one for LAX!" and the scanner guy had left or didn't pull out the scanner for the last bag on.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Oops, guess I'm late.

Anyways, general advice, I've had this happen a few times. Usually, the app message will change by the time I've landed to say it did not make the flight. Then it might take a while (sometimes up to the departure time of the next flight) to know which flight it is rerouted on. If you don't have time to wait, goto the baggage office and tell them to courier it to you once it arrives. Otherwise, if you really need the bag, wait for it.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kale73
But will they send the bag on a connecting itinerary when the passenger is booked on a nonstop? If so, the bag could easily have gone out on UA 448 to DEN and then on UA 1613 arriving LAX at 8:30 - an hour before OP's scheduled arrival.
Not sure; I don't think I've ever seen a connection added for a bag. More often if the passenger is connecting when there is a direct, the bag will be put on a direct.

Bag was first one out.
Happy ending! Strongly suggests --
Originally Posted by drewguy
So I guess they located it at the last minute - "oh crap, another one for LAX!" and the scanner guy had left or didn't pull out the scanner for the last bag on.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is almost always the result. The bag was either intentionally or negligently not scanned onto the aircraft. Thus, just like the old days, you find out that it has arrived when it pops onto the carousel.

The number of bags which actually are not loaded is small, particularly on nonstop routings. The number which are not on the next flight or close to that is even smaller. Given generous carry-on allowances, none of this ought to be a significant issue for the first few days (some who are obsessive about carryons wouuld say, weeks).
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
I place a Tile in my suitcase. Doesn’t always work; but, it’s given me peace of mind when it does.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:16 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Bag was first one out.
Can you still access baggage tracking for that flight? I'd be curious of it shows being scanned coming off the flight, even though it never showed being scanned onto the flight.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Often1
Given generous carry-on allowances, none of this ought to be a significant issue for the first few days (some who are obsessive about carryons wouuld say, weeks).
Ever had your bags not make it on a ski trip . . . ?
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1984SW
Can you still access baggage tracking for that flight? I'd be curious of it shows being scanned coming off the flight, even though it never showed being scanned onto the flight.
Tracking still states bag is "en route". It seems like this opens up United to passengers potentially receiving their bag, but being able to file a claim for reimbursement. Also, while I was inflight United's twitter team told me that my bag was in fact still in Boston.
wpcoe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.