Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Sell me or talk me out of switch from DL to UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sell me or talk me out of switch from DL to UA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Wimsta
Plot twist: if this year progresses as expected/hoped I'll be moving into the Akron/Cleveland area. That will probably renew the motivation to switch. Akron's DL service is only to ATL and that will likely be a much more convenient airport then trekking into Cleveland.

That said, any UA advice for a person based in Ohio?
I live between CLE and CAK and probably 75%+ of my trips are scheduled through CLE. CAK is very convenient as you can almost fall out of your car and onto the plane and they even have TSA PreCheck. UA has increased their service from CAK as it was once ORD-only but they've increased ORD frequency to 4/day and added EWR (2X) and IAH (1X), too. By contrast, DL recently eliminated CAK-DTW service.
andol469 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Kacee
For travel to Bakersfield, have you considered flying into BUR and renting a car? It's like 150 feet from the UA counters to the car rental lot.
^This is the best advice on the whole thread. Coming out of Burbank, OP would avoid most of the horrendous LA traffic, and his trip to BFL would likely remain close in total transit time, with much more convenience and comfort.
faerieloch likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: United
landings are the best

fwiw dh,dds, and i have flown more than a million miles in the past decade. lots of different airlines mostly star alliance.

we like different ones for different things.

we are with UA because of their landings. their pilots consistently land better than any other airline we have flown. and i love that.

and the points are good. and they have never left us stranded. and their ground staff are good at thinking outside the box when prompted. (eg. "really, i just need to be within a day's driving distance of london. what are the flights into paris like?" or "i know AC has a nonstop at 12h00. is there space on it?")

hth
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by zombietooth
^This is the best advice on the whole thread. Coming out of Burbank, OP would avoid most of the horrendous LA traffic, and his trip to BFL would likely remain close in total transit time, with much more convenience and comfort.
If I were going to rent a car would Burbank be better than FAT?

I'm currently waiting for another flight to LAX, I'll make two more trips already booked, but there may be a third one and I'm considering a rental car option at that time.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Might not figure into your calculations much, but the United Club in ATL is tiny and limited. As in, Priority Pass is a lot better.
It’s amazing how many different perspectives on this kind of thing can be had. I absolutely love the ATL club. One of my favorites in the system. Super friendly staff, great tarmac views and self-serve wine and beer. What’s not to love? It’s never overly crowded either. It’s small, I’ll give it that. But it has all the amenities and is still in great shape since the move.

I’m an EWR based flyer but ATL is one of my primary destinations. UA runs a solid operation there. First of all, they’re in the T concourse, so no air train needed to get from checkin to gates to parking to baggage. All super easy. Secondly, the club. Third, the staff. They’re well organized and do a great job handling the boarding process etc.

Always a pleasant destination in my book. I think it’s actually one of the most solid “super sized airport” ops in United’s system.
MarkyMarc likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
If I were going to rent a car would Burbank be better than FAT?
Hmm ... I think either is a pretty good option; it all comes down to the particulars.

There is some traffic you can hit between Burbank, California, and Bakersfield, California. You just need to be north of Santa Clarita, California, by ~4:00pm to avoid the worst of the traffic (maybe ~3:00pm on a Friday ). So if your flight into BUR allows for that, it's a pretty good option.

Both BUR and FAT see a lot of CR2s. Personally, I won't sit in one of those for over an hour. So BUR-SFO would be an option for me, as would FAT-SFO or FAT-LAX. I'll fly BUR-DEN ... if it's the one flight per day on the A319. But I think that United only flies CR2s into FAT. So, if you care about that, it might drive a decision between the two.

The drive between Burbank and Bakersfield is pretty scenic north of Santa Clarita. I happen to like driving through the San Joaquin Valley, too, but it's not everyone's cup of tea (and understandably so).
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by iapetus
The drive between Burbank and Bakersfield is pretty scenic north of Santa Clarita. I happen to like driving through the San Joaquin Valley, too, but it's not everyone's cup of tea (and understandably so).
I-5 gets awfully boring even through the Grapevine after the third or fourth time. I keep looking for other ways through, but nothing seems even remotely time-efficient.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Hmm ... I think either is a pretty good option; it all comes down to the particulars.

There is some traffic you can hit between Burbank, California, and Bakersfield, California. You just need to be north of Santa Clarita, California, by ~4:00pm to avoid the worst of the traffic (maybe ~3:00pm on a Friday ). So if your flight into BUR allows for that, it's a pretty good option.

Both BUR and FAT see a lot of CR2s. Personally, I won't sit in one of those for over an hour. So BUR-SFO would be an option for me, as would FAT-SFO or FAT-LAX. I'll fly BUR-DEN ... if it's the one flight per day on the A319. But I think that United only flies CR2s into FAT. So, if you care about that, it might drive a decision between the two.

FAT is a CAT II/III airport and skywest is a Cat II carrier. I'm not sure what BUR is rated for but most flights except zero vis. make it into FAT. Of course if it's tule foggy you don't want to be driving to/from bakersfield unless you have a death wish.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by dmurphynj

It’s amazing how many different perspectives on this kind of thing can be had. I absolutely love the ATL club. One of my favorites in the system. Super friendly staff, great tarmac views and self-serve wine and beer. What’s not to love? It’s never overly crowded either. It’s small, I’ll give it that. But it has all the amenities and is still in great shape since the move.

I’m an EWR based flyer but ATL is one of my primary destinations. UA runs a solid operation there. First of all, they’re in the T concourse, so no air train needed to get from checkin to gates to parking to baggage. All super easy. Secondly, the club. Third, the staff. They’re well organized and do a great job handling the boarding process etc.

Always a pleasant destination in my book. I think it’s actually one of the most solid “super sized airport” ops in United’s system.
I spent many many hours in T club. I completely agree with your assessment of the staff, comfort, and convenience. The only thing I would add would be Wedding soup days were the best.

Now that I'm using Delta's sky clubs, however, I've really come to appreciate airport showers and a full bar.

I will probably not renew the SC membership and go back to using UA lounge day passes next year.

That said, any word on Cleveland or Akron clubs, I didn't think about that at all in thinking about UA later this year?

Remember when it had Christo's yellow umbrellas? That was great.

Originally Posted by findark
I-5 gets awfully boring even through the Grapevine after the third or fourth time. I keep looking for other ways through, but nothing seems even remotely time-efficient.
There was a period when I'd drive through Tehachapi on trips to San Diego and bypass the Grapevine, but nothing to change for trips to LA without adding at least 2 hours.

Originally Posted by prestonh
FAT is a CAT II/III airport and skywest is a Cat II carrier. I'm not sure what BUR is rated for but most flights except zero vis. make it into FAT. Of course if it's tule foggy you don't want to be driving to/from bakersfield unless you have a death wish.
Twice I was on flights into BFL that circled and eventually landed somewhere else, is this related to Cat?

Jan. 4, 1999, we were warned in PHX that we might not be able to land in BFL, and end up in Santa Barbara. I ended up turning 21 in the air as the flight ended up ticking past midnight. Didn't help though, since you had to be 25 to rent a car, so I found other passengers I could share the car with.

Dec. 24th, flight was diverted to LAX, I completely missed all Christmas Eve with the family. (probably 2005 or 6).

The worst part of driving in the Bakersfield fog, in my experience working in the oil fields was all the drivers who didn't slow down at all. Guys gotta get to work, so while you're worried about rear ending someone, you're usually more worried about someone slamming into the back of you.
dmurphynj likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 26, 2019 at 1:43 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Remember when it had Christo's yellow umbrellas? That was great.

There was a period when I'd drive through Tehachapi on trips to San Diego and bypass the Grapevine, but nothing to change for trips to LA without adding at least 2 hours.

Twice I was on flights into BFL that circled and eventually landed somewhere else, is this related to Cat?

Jan. 4, 1999, we were warned in PHX that we might not be able to land in BFL, and end up in Santa Barbara. I ended up turning 21 in the air as the flight ended up ticking past midnight. Didn't help though, since you had to be 25 to rent a car, so I found other passengers I could share the car with.

Dec. 24th, flight was diverted to LAX, I completely missed all Christmas Eve with the family. (probably 2005 or 6).

The worst part of driving in the Bakersfield fog, in my experience working in the oil fields was all the drivers who didn't slow down at all. Guys gotta get to work, so while you're worried about rear ending someone, you're usually more worried about someone slamming into the back of you.
Yup, BFL IIRC does not have Cat II or III equipment. I believe UPS/FedEX mostly paid to install it at FAT. When I lived in Visalia, every year there were massive pile-ups on 99 when the tule fog rolled in. It taught me the lesson to drive in the night before and stay at the airport, not worth the risk.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to keep in mind, that the drive thru the Grapevine can become tricky during (one of the few rain) days, resulting in snow & icey roads.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Sometimes I take Elizabeth Lake Road to get to the San Gabriel Valley (SR138 - Pine Canyon Rd - Elizabeth Lake Rd - SR14 - Angeles Forest Hwy - SR2) but even that adds almost an hour even if it a spectacularly better drive. I'm really sick of I-5 Last time I did it, I was thankfully counter-commute but shocked at the heavy traffic going the other way as apparently people in Lancaster have decided to commute on this route.

Originally Posted by prestonh
Yup, BFL IIRC does not have Cat II or III equipment. I believe UPS/FedEX mostly paid to install it at FAT. When I lived in Visalia, every year there were massive pile-ups on 99 when the tule fog rolled in. It taught me the lesson to drive in the night before and stay at the airport, not worth the risk.
Yeah, CAT I only at BFL.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
I spent many many hours in T club. I completely agree with your assessment of the staff, comfort, and convenience. The only thing I would add would be Wedding soup days were the best.
Now that I'm using Delta's sky clubs, however, I've really come to appreciate airport showers and a full bar.
I will probably not renew the SC membership and go back to using UA lounge day passes next year.
That said, any word on Cleveland or Akron clubs, I didn't think about that at all in thinking about UA later this year?
The only thing better than the wedding soup was the “tequila chicken fiesta soup” that made a quick appearance this past fall... my goodness is THAT delicious! I know the ATL UC doesn’t have a full bar but I can survive just fine with wine and beer. That’d be my preference anyway. As I understand it, there’s some legal reasons for that and not just a lack of space. Not sure what those are, but the rules and regulations around liquor are incredible around the US! You can definitely tell we have a Puritanical heritage ...

Anywho - as for clubs; it’s been a long time since I’ve been in the CLE club but I remember it as acceptable, if slightly dated. Can’t speak to Akron, as my other destination in Ohio is usually CMH — which, in my book, desperately needs a United Club. Simply because it’d be convenient for me and a few coworkers. ;-) It’s genuinenly my only ‘routine’ work destination without one.

So I usually spend as much time as I can at the Dublin Marriott’s M-club instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.