Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Denied Boarding international flight, UA tik, CM flight because no return trip ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Boarding international flight, UA tik, CM flight because no return trip ticket

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MontGR
On a recent flight from Billings, Montana to Medellin, Colombia, via Denver and Panama, I was denied boarding the plane in Denver by Copa because I had no return trip ticket. I purchased the ticket from United's website. There was no indication I would need a return trip ticket, and have never been required to have on the 6 or so times I had made the same trip. I ended up having to pay $1350 for a new ticket to continue on the trip. United and Copa refuse to take responsibility for this. I feel that United should reimburse me for the new ticket. Any suggestions on what recourse I might have would be appreciated.
None. It's pretty common for airlines to ensure passengers meet entry requirements and this is one of them. Fine and cost of return on the spot makes them antsy. If you have gone 6 times and thus come back 6 times, you could have bought a one way return ticket changeable and refundable, which, with Copa is not even all that expensive. Less hassle than watching the plane leave.

I wonder if a history of 6 one way trips to Medellin made their computer be more insistent. Who knows what programming they employ? Anyhoo whatever the reason, they were right. Since you have to come back, (or at least leave Colombia) or their point would actually be proven, why would they bear the cost of an exit ticket?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
If you were at a CM counter at DEN, why would you not simply purchase the return ticket on the spot, rather that messing around with UA, particularly when you had IT problems?.
Or a ticket from Medellin to Panama, El Salvador, anywhere really. Of course then down the road upon boarding that flight in Medellin they refuse boarding again and on it goes.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
... the need for a return ticket can be a requirement of the countries you are traveling thru. It is the passenger's responsibility to have read and understood the transit and entry requirements.
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's because it's the passenger's responsibility to be aware of international travel and documentation requirements. Having a return ticket is a pretty basic requirement of entry to most countries.
Originally Posted by Often1
First and foremost, it is always 100% the responsibility of the passenger to have in his possession all of the documents required for travel. This includes a return or onwards ticket is that is what a country requires. It is not UA's job to tell you what you need.
It's not what you want to hear, but my fellow FTers above are correct: it's your responsibility as the traveler to ensure you have required travel documents. And, failure of the destination country to not enforce their requirements on past trips doesn't grant you an entitlement to have them waived in the future.

There are many reasons this is and must be the case: there are way too many variants of circumstance for the website to be able to tell you up front exactly what applies in your situation. TIMATIC is a good start, but even there there will be text descriptions of certain requirements that require a human to interpret. For example, you may be traveling on a type of visa that doesn't require a return ticket (such as an immigrant visa), you may have dual citizenship, or any number of other situations.

Also, there's no particular requirement that the onward/return travel be on the same carrier. I've had situations where I'm traveling on award tickets, with outbound and return flights on different carriers. The outbound carrier and its computer have no way of knowing what other arrangements I've made. I've had to present proof of onward/return travel at check-in, which consists of proof that I have such a ticket on another carrier, in cases where the outbound carrier can't "see" it in their computer.

As far as any extra costs you incurred in this situation, mark it down as tuition: you now know something you didn't before.
LadyShiva likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:28 pm

No one will reimburse you for the extra costs as it is the passengers responsibility to check for entry requirements. Have been the victim of the same thing last year when I had booked a Stockholm to Minsk flight via Moscow on Aeroflot. Apparently the Moscow-Minsk flight departs from a terminal that requires you enter Russia, thus you need a transfer visa. Even though I was frustrated to be denied boarding at the gate, I had only myself to blame. Since then I rigorously check the entry requirements for where I am going, even for the transfer points.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MontGR
....United and Copa refuse to take responsibility for this. I feel that United should reimburse me for the new ticket....
Unfortunate, but United assumes you take responsibility for knowing the travel requirements. In this case, UA would rightly assume you would have bought a return ticket from another carrier or travel agent. It’s not United’s responsibility to ask you about your travel arrangements. There’s actually quite a few countries that want to see exit plans on entry. At least you can tuck this experience away for future travels.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It's perhaps also worth pointing out that, by being denied boarding in Denver, you were saved the trouble of being denied entry to Colombia and getting stuck in whatever holding facilities they have before you can be deported.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Not sure this thread or OP will benefit from yet another post pointing out that he/she is not due any compensation, and that it was his/her responsibility to check onward ticket requirements.

I will state though, that at the very least, it would be nice if UA's system would catch such negligence by a traveler at the start of their journey (in OP's case, BIL) and not only after already having completed a segment.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Wasn't this easily solved by booking an award ticket on the spot, boarding, and then cancelling said award ticket 23 hours later once in Colombia for free?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Wasn't this easily solved by booking an award ticket on the spot, boarding, and then cancelling said award ticket 23 hours later once in Colombia for free?
Assuming, of course, OP has/had sufficient award miles, or is even a MileagePlus member.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:54 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I have said this before and would suggest it to anyone about to get in a long frustrating argument with an airline rep or customs official, or anyone about to be denied boarding and miss their flight:

Governments are stupid for thinking that a simple airline ticket proves anyone's intent to stay or leave the country. Save your frustration and just buy a refundable ticket, play their game better than they do, and get it refunded later.
jsloan and drewguy like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or an qualifying refundable ticket.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by narvik
I will state though, that at the very least, it would be nice if UA's system would catch such negligence by a traveler at the start of their journey (in OP's case, BIL) and not only after already having completed a segment.
I know UA's systems do catch these issues, it happens to me several times a year. At my departure airport, for the connection to a hub, I can't on-line check in, and kiosk check-in produces yellow screen requiring agent verification of visa/onward travel. Maybe the UA/CM combo fouled things up.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Unfortunate, but United assumes you take responsibility for knowing the travel requirements. In this case, UA would rightly assume you would have bought a return ticket from another carrier or travel agent. It’s not United’s responsibility to ask you about your travel arrangements. There’s actually quite a few countries that want to see exit plans on entry. At least you can tuck this experience away for future travels.
united doesn’t just ‘assume’ you take responsibility - they have already gotten you to agree you have taken responsibility for knowing travel requirements - that is in the COC. True, you don’t really ‘have’ to, as is the case here. But you already signed (so to speak) that right away when you purchase the ticket. Customs may have not asked about it, but they could have. And Copa didn’t want to take that risk. Not something I would be unsympathetic to.

Originally Posted by TA
I have said this before and would suggest it to anyone about to get in a long frustrating argument with an airline rep or customs official, or anyone about to be denied boarding and miss their flight:
maybe so, but it’s what customs officials appear to accept as proof. What else would be a better document with proof?

Originally Posted by YadiMolina
I know UA's systems do catch these issues, it happens to me several times a year. At my departure airport, for the connection to a hub, I can't on-line check in, and kiosk check-in produces yellow screen requiring agent verification of visa/onward travel. Maybe the UA/CM combo fouled things up.
or there are certain things that are easier for a computer to verify then others.

Not having an appropriate visa is probably the number 1 reason for entry denial, and is easy for the airline to check. Return ticket is also easy to check, but given that not everyone buys a round trip ticket, not necessarily a matter of if the carrier bringing you in can see one. UA rarely checks travel docs at an outstation except at check in, usually only doing so at the gate of the departing international flight. If I check in online for a flight to say, Canada, using my existing passport that UA has in the the system, the outstation doesn’t ask me for it (unless I’m checking a bag). I only get asked, at say, ORD, when boarding the actual flight to Canada. If I left my passport at home, say, no one would know until I couldn’t board the plane at connection point.

Interestingly, other countries work differently. I’ve been on departing international flights on at least a half-dozen carriers out of India, probably more, and only UA, and maybe one other, checked for anything ID-wise at the gate. Even though it’s not legally required ex-US (IIRC), UA always checks when boarding international flights - this is for their own protection so they aren’t fined and forced to return a passenger back if they show up trying to enter a country without required docs.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
UA rarely checks travel docs at an outstation except at check in, usually only doing so at the gate of the departing international flight.
I had an open-jaw ticket into the Philippines, which has a reputation for being strict about requiring an onward ticket. (I've never actually had an immigration officer ask for one, but YMMV). I was traveling via NRT on a US passport -- no visa required. UA happily checked me through to MNL; at NRT, the NH staff refused to allow me to board until I provided the ticket information for my ex-MNL flight, despite the open-jaw return being already on my record. The fact that it would have been impossible for me to board my return flight in HKG without leaving the Philippines wasn't sufficient.

It's possible that UA is less stringent about proof of onward travel than CM and NH are.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:08 pm

Yes, as others have said, your responsibility to have an onward ticket. If need be a throwaway ticket on an LCC to a nearby country would have done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.