Wiki Posts
Search

Problems upfaring on new website

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Problems upfaring on new website

Until recently, the new UA website would still revert to the "old" website at points during the booking process. I used to regularly book an economy ticket, wait for the receipt and then change the flight using the link in the reservation. I'd select the same days but change the class to Business/First and pay the difference. I've do this hundreds of times as a way for my company to buy me an Economy ticket and I pay the difference in fare out of pocket.

Now, when you go through these same steps, the website doesn't seem to allow you to complete the same procedure. The current flight that I'm trying to change is showing "Not Available" so I can only switch to a different flight , not change class of service any longer.

Anyone else see this?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 12, 2018 at 6:00 pm Reason: Rephrased title to make issue clearer
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:49 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I have had intermittent issues with "Change Flights" not working properly. I don't know what the cause has been, but typically have had to call and get the request processed over the phone when the web site gives a "Not Available" (or, worse, an outright error) for the flight changes.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by limey1K
Until recently, the new UA website would still revert to the "old" website at points during the booking process. I used to regularly book an economy ticket, wait for the receipt and then change the flight using the link in the reservation. I'd select the same days but change the class to Business/First and pay the difference. I've do this hundreds of times as a way for my company to buy me an Economy ticket and I pay the difference in fare out of pocket.

Now, when you go through these same steps, the website doesn't seem to allow you to complete the same procedure. The current flight that I'm trying to change is showing "Not Available" so I can only switch to a different flight , not change class of service any longer. ....
I have done this on the new website and I have seen the issue you are referring to on the old website. I have never figured out why it happened but calling usually works but occasionally it was discovered the desired flight did not have discount Business/First available.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

It's definitely repeatable for me. In the last 2 hours, I've booked three Y tickets and then immediately tried to change the reservation to the same flights but the F cabin. I've verified seats are available up-front but no luck on any of the three I've tried. I completed this same procedure 100 times this year under the old website. Something has definitely changed.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Delta Gold
Removed, OP wants something else

Last edited by danielSuper; Dec 13, 2018 at 3:51 pm
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:12 pm

Did you try doing the same using the app? I had luck going that route when the website has given me issues in the past. I do the exact same thing as you on most of my flights....just tested for a flight, not offering any upgrade options on full website, app offers upgrades for purchase.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

I am changing a flight from a Y ticket to a P/C/D ticket, not trying to upgrade. I used to be able to buy, ticket and confirm the reservation in Y, then click Change flight (see below), select the same dates and time of travel but check First Class as the search criteria.

Previously, the website would show the delta between what I paid for the Y and the F ticket. I could then change the flight and pay the difference (UPFARE). However, now it removes the option to select the same flights as originally ticketed in Y (see below 12:36 departure)

Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The bottom screen shot is not the screen I get for Change Flight.
Is that the regular flight search?
What is the Expert Mode for that flight?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

I just made a new reservation:

Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:19 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
What happens if you don't select "Business or First" from the options and search based on economy? Does it offer first on the flight in the results then?

The new "Change Flights" interface is very spotty IME. I have had to call several times rather than use it; maybe 1 time in 4 has it even made a basic change for me.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I didn't even know you could upfare that way online. Interesting ... once it is fixed.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
I didn't even know you could upfare that way online. Interesting ... once it is fixed.
Works best if you do within 24 hours of booking otherwise it charges a change fee -- have to call to get the GG BUYUP fee waiver
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Works best if you do within 24 hours of booking otherwise it charges a change fee -- have to call to get the GG BUYUP fee waiver
o.k., thanks. Thought this was a way to get the change fee waiver online w/o calling. Would have been too good to be true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.