Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Another year of disappointing Platinum status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another year of disappointing Platinum status

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
But, I don't think you can judge your upgrade rate by looking at what is (or usually is) the ONLY lie flat service between IAD and SFO. My guess is you are booking the 777 because it has lie flats and is a wide body, but then so is everyone else. Lots of GS book that flight hoping to get upgraded, and lots of other elites just buy F on the flight. (or as a 1K pray for an upgrade).
I was on the Tuesday PM 772 ER IAD-SFO earlier this week. I was something like 40/60 on the upgrade list with a totally full F cabin (no upgrades post T-24). 12 GS, approximately 9 1K (first time i'd see GS > 1K). Meanwhile, the flight was so lightly loaded overall that virtually everyone in E+ had a block of 3 seats to themselves. Group 1 was much bigger than group 2. Rough calculation then is something like 1/2 to 2/3 of plane was elite travelers of some type.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:54 pm

my 1k experience this year was quite pleasant. I am EWR based 1k.

85% of my flights EWR <-> DTW were upgraded (over 5 month span)
EWR to CUN was upgraded. The impressive part was that I was among plenty of frequent travelers
EWR <-> IAH no upgrades
a bunch of trips to IND were upgraded

im barely going to make platinum this year. I will surely miss 1k, the pre-boarding and snacks
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by prometa
I was on the Tuesday PM 772 ER IAD-SFO earlier this week. I was something like 40/60 on the upgrade list with a totally full F cabin (no upgrades post T-24). 12 GS, approximately 9 1K (first time i'd see GS > 1K). Meanwhile, the flight was so lightly loaded overall that virtually everyone in E+ had a block of 3 seats to themselves. Group 1 was much bigger than group 2. Rough calculation then is something like 1/2 to 2/3 of plane was elite travelers of some type.
IAD-SFO has to be one of the more elite heavy routes in the US for UA. I have NEVER had a CPU or instrument upgrade on this run in the last 3 to 4 years but I only do this run about twice a year.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:57 pm

It really depends on the route that you fly.

I'm just Gold and got upgraded LIH-SFO B752 Lie Flat on a Saver (XY) ticket. (My husband would've been upgraded if they still did it for the companion too...but they didn't)

I also got upgraded once from IAH-FLL on the morning flight and once from EWR-RDU on my connection to SF.

Well I guess that's not saying much for a years worth of traveling...lol

Last edited by SFnFlaGuy; Dec 14, 2018 at 3:11 pm Reason: KOA corrected to SFO
Old Dec 7, 2018, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I can echo a lot of sentiments in this thread. I have split my travel between OW and *A in recent years, which has worked out to UA Platinum for the last five or so years. I typically fly into EWR and then on to southern Florida, and would always be upgrade on the latter leg. Not so much now. Also, now that 1Ks get to board ahead and Golds are in 1, the whole boarding situation has deteriorated. Next year, less OW.

Edit: the cruel joke is that, under pressure from Mrs LE, I just booked six J flights to our place in Florida after Christmas, taking me to something like PQM 98,700k
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by prometa
I've taken quite a few IAD-SFO trips this year and have noticed the same. F cabin is full where people at the back have blocks of 3 seats to themselves. I even flew 737 once in F and when I walked back just for a stroll I was kind of jealous some E- people had their own version of lie-flat seating. 5-6 hrs in F seat on 737 can be quite tiring.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
I’ll finished this year with close to 250,000 butt in seat miles for 2018, and a not a single RPU/GPU cleared never mind complimentary upgrades. With some that rolled over from last year, I will finish the year with over 30 expiring unused.

As someone who flies different destinations daily as opposed to a specific routing, I laugh at the lack of clearances. I couldn’t clear Houston to Dallas, Austin, San Antonio on multiple attempts despite using instruments. Couldn’t clear a single flight out of IAD. EWR. ORD or DEN. No transcons cleared, no mid cons cleared, and none of the above type sub 90 minutes cleared. Not a single time. As I book travel for now 12 people who are all traveling most days, I see more or less the same on their travel patterns. Certainly less than 5% upgrades across the board for the 12 of them. We are not locked into any elite heavy routes, and are not all on the same reservations etc.

So, being 1K or Continental Platinum for the last 15 years straight, I’d say there has been a rather large decline in upgrades
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
I’ll finished this year with close to 250,000 butt in seat miles for 2018, and a not a single RPU/GPU cleared never mind complimentary upgrades. With some that rolled over from last year, I will finish the year with over 30 expiring unused.

As someone who flies different destinations daily as opposed to a specific routing, I laugh at the lack of clearances. I couldn’t clear Houston to Dallas, Austin, San Antonio on multiple attempts despite using instruments. Couldn’t clear a single flight out of IAD. EWR. ORD or DEN. No transcons cleared, no mid cons cleared, and none of the above type sub 90 minutes cleared. Not a single time. As I book travel for now 12 people who are all traveling most days, I see more or less the same on their travel patterns. Certainly less than 5% upgrades across the board for the 12 of them. We are not locked into any elite heavy routes, and are not all on the same reservations etc.

So, being 1K or Continental Platinum for the last 15 years straight, I’d say there has been a rather large decline in upgrades
The "people you book for" do not have any status. Any elite member would be ahead of them on the pecking list. So, 5% upgrades across the board for the 12 of them is pretty good imo.

A bit confused how you, 1K, have 0% clearance rate, but non-elites that you book for have 5%.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
The "people you book for" do not have any status. Any elite member would be ahead of them on the pecking list. So, 5% upgrades across the board for the 12 of them is pretty good imo.
If you think a 5% upgrade rate for non-elites on instruments is "pretty good," you must think a 4% CPU rate for a 1K would also be pretty good? A non-status passenger on an instrument is ahead of a 1K CPU, after all.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
If you think a 5% upgrade rate for non-elites on instruments is "pretty good," you must think a 4% CPU rate for a 1K would also be pretty good? A non-status passenger on an instrument is ahead of a 1K CPU, after all.
On some routes, yeah i wouldn't be surprised.
I'm quite surprised about the 0% rate of a 1K on instruments though? But I guess YMMV depending on routes / time of day.
Still, it's quite surprising to me. Not even @nomad20 is 0%
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I burned my RPU last year on YYZ_ORD-MCI, as there was R when I booked... I can't believe the # of flights, off peak, where as a Plat I'm sitting >6 places on the list, even on 20F short flights (e.g. YYZ-ORD).

I don't even bother for the upgrades, it doesn't happen anymore. Its more useful for the award changes these days but methinks it isn't really worth it at all anymore.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
The people I book for ALL have status. Of the 12, 9 are 1K, 2 Platinums and one Gold. So, less than 5% is not good
Old Dec 9, 2018, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by renebt
any thoughts on < 1K on the DCA-SFO route?
As 1K I was recently able to use my GPU on SFO->DCA, but did not clear until just before boarding. I was 1st on list which I attribute to GPU as usually I am about 10-20 deep.

Flying the return DCA-SFO I was 3rd on the gate list and did not clear with GPU. So if you are <1K I would say your chances are poor.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Zero upgrades as a Plat this year. Routes between EWR, SFO, ORD, BOS did the trick.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:53 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Let’s not forget that UA’s broken SDC tool this year slowed people in Paid F on routes like LAX-SFO to SDC to (and waste space on) virtually any other hub routes, like LAX-IAH-DEN-LAX-EWR-IAD-SFO like I did once.

Not only does this waste front cabin space but probably also bloated the ranks of elites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.