Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Plus Fare in GDS (for sale starting 3 Dec 2018, travel after 30 March 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DetroitFlyer
UA PP mini site online, thanks @coolbeans202
http://view.ceros.com/united/premiumplus/p/1
  • United® Premium Plus will be available for sale beginning December 3 for travel March 30 and beyond.
  • Long-haul flights that will offer United® Premium Plus include trans-Pacific flights, trans-Atlantic flights and flights from the U.S. to these South American destinations: Buenos Aires, Lima, Rio de Janeiro, Santiago, São Paulo. For a complete list of planned PP markets, see the press release below.
  • Revenue Premium Plus fare codes are O, A, and R.
  • Award Premium Plus fare code is ON.
  • Upgrade Premium Plus fare code is RN.
  • Earn 150% Premier qualifying miles and 1.5 Premier qualifying segments when you purchase a fare in United® Premium Plus.
  • Upgrade instruments (GPU or miles+cash) can be used to upgrade to PE and/or J. There will be no fare class restriction for Y -> PE upgrades, and no fare class restriction for PE -> J upgrades.
  • If a pax requests an upgrade to either cabin, and clears into the PE cabin, they will remain waitlisted for the J cabin but the instrument will considered used for the PE upgrade (except miles+cash is expected to have a separate upgrade chart and a partial refund will be issued in this case).
  • PE fares will delegate to B (Economy) on UA domestic sectors and will allow free E+, and lowest available up to Y/U/Q on partner metal sectors with a UA code.

United Airlines Announces Sale Date for United® Premium Plus, Airline's Premium Economy Offering

CHICAGO, Nov. 30, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, United Airlines announced that its newest premium seating, United® Premium Plus will be on sale beginning December 3, for travel on select international flights starting March 30, 2019. The new premium economy experience will be available on 21 routes by the end of May 2019.

"United® Premium Plus gives our customers more options so they can choose the best experience that fits their wants and needs when they travel," said Andrew Nocella, United's executive vice president and chief commercial officer. "United® Premium Plus includes some of our high-end amenities from United Polaris, and is the perfect option for someone who wants an upgraded experience in the Economy cabin."

Customers traveling in United® Premium Plus will enjoy an elevated travel experience before their flight even leaves the ground, receiving complimentary standard checked bags, as well as Premier Access check-in and priority boarding. United will also offer discounted entrance at United ClubSM locations for customers traveling in United® Premium Plus.

For more images visit United's media gallery on the United Hub.

Once on board, customers will enjoy a spacious seat with more legroom, elbow room and recline than a standard Economy Plus® or Economy seat, as well as a hearty welcome meal, mid-flight snacks and a pre-arrival dining service. In addition to beer, wine and non-alcoholic beverages, liquor will also be complimentary in United® Premium Plus. Customers will also receive an amenity kit, a Saks Fifth Avenue blanket and plush pillow, as well as noise-reducing headphones, making it easier to enjoy hundreds of hours of entertainment on larger seatback entertainment screens. Seats will also be equipped with individual power and USB outlets, dedicated overhead bins and extra storage for customers to keep devices at hand throughout their entire flight.

United®Premium Plus Aircraft and Routes

The new premium economy seats debuted on select Boeing 777-200ER and 777-300ER aircraft earlier this summer, and United took delivery of its first 787-10 aircraft earlier this month with United Polaris business class and United® Premium Plus seats installed. All aircraft with United® Premium Plus seats also feature the airline's signature United Polaris business class direct-aisle-access seats. On average, United is adding one aircraft with United Polaris business class and United® Premium Plus seating every 10 days from now through 2020.

Awards and Upgrades
In addition to purchasing a United® Premium Plus seat, MileagePlus members will have the option to book award travel in United® Premium Plus by using their MileagePlus miles. For upgrades, either a single Global Premier Upgrade or a MileagePlus Upgrade Award can be used to move up to a United® Premium Plus seat or to United's Polaris business class cabin. For more information on United's premium economy experience visit united.com/PremiumPlus.
Print Wikipost

Premium Plus Fare in GDS (for sale starting 3 Dec 2018, travel after 30 March 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA MM/Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
I have an answer to my own question. I checked this morning and it looks like we got moved from 20KL to 30JL.
Same damn thing happened to me for my May SFO-HKG itinerary.
Currently my Feb SFO-HKG itinerary has me in 19 but I'm not holding my breath.
I bought both tickets on Black Friday (K for $675 each which is a steal), prior to the Dec 3rd "go live" hoping UA would be generous, but they're not. I called and spoke with a supervisor and sent in a letter requesting that they honor my original seat location, or the next closest spot which would be 20. It's stretch, but the transaction was done before the administrative change and I am hoping they show some generosity.
As it is, I'm close to just moving to SQ because their Premium Economy is so much better and I can still get UA PQM, not that they're worth much these days.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by transportprof
What do FT sages think of suggesting to the powers that be that Mileage Plus rules be changed to allow using RPUs to upgrade Y>PE and GPUs to upgrade Y>J ? That would simplify the upgrade system, and take the pressure off frustrating RPU waitlists for domestic F. Perhaps I should have posted this suggestion in the RPUs are useless thread?
I wouldn't be surprised if this is where they end up. It also would be a better explanation for the cap of RPUs at 4 than simply there are too many out there. But with PE only just getting rolled out midyear, and not on all planes, it may not be ready yet to do that.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
UA's PE fares to Asia must reflect a baked in healthy corporate discount. There's no way they are going to compete with the asian carriers (or even AC) on any one-stop or even the non-stop itineraries I've pulled up for some sample west-coast itineraries. The product doesn't look that great (i.e. not even a dedicated lav) compared to CI, BR, NH, CX. With both CX and SQ coming to SEA soon, and UA not having much PE seats in these markets, not sure where they expect this pricing power.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I have to say, UA has probably got this right, if things work as I expect. They're creating an incentive for me to buy R as a 1K, so that I've got a real shot at clearing into PZ (which I suspect will become even less confirmable in advance). We'll see how the combination of pricing and UA's back-end systems play out though.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prestonh
UA's PE fares to Asia must reflect a baked in healthy corporate discount. There's no way they are going to compete with the asian carriers (or even AC) on any one-stop or even the non-stop itineraries I've pulled up for some sample west-coast itineraries. The product doesn't look that great (i.e. not even a dedicated lav) compared to CI, BR, NH, CX. With both CX and SQ coming to SEA soon, and UA not having much PE seats in these markets, not sure where they expect this pricing power.
As pointed out up-thread, they're not really UA's fares. It's a JV with NH, so these are really NH's fares.

I don't think UA is looking to try to draw pax from competing PE products as much as they're looking to try to get existing UA pax to buy up into PE to avoid the E- experience, When the lowest available fare is a K, I don't think it will work. When the lowest available fare is a Q or an H, PE will suddenly start to look compelling; it's easier to justify $3200 vs $2400 than it is to justify $2700 vs $700.

I predict P+ cabins will be nearly empty two weeks prior to departure on TPAC routes. The question will be what happens during those last two weeks. If they're overselling Y and having to op-up pax to P+, it's going to be a massive failure. If they manage to convert some sales from high-priced Y to higher-priced P+, it'll be a success.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
As pointed out up-thread, they're not really UA's fares. It's a JV with NH, so these are really NH's fares.

I don't think UA is looking to try to draw pax from competing PE products as much as they're looking to try to get existing UA pax to buy up into PE to avoid the E- experience, When the lowest available fare is a K, I don't think it will work. When the lowest available fare is a Q or an H, PE will suddenly start to look compelling; it's easier to justify $3200 vs $2400 than it is to justify $2700 vs $700.

I predict P+ cabins will be nearly empty two weeks prior to departure on TPAC routes. The question will be what happens during those last two weeks. If they're overselling Y and having to op-up pax to P+, it's going to be a massive failure. If they manage to convert some sales from high-priced Y to higher-priced P+, it'll be a success.
But that's the PE market at the moment. It's bracketed by E/E- on the low end (which is trashed in Asia) and J on the high end which is quite competitive in the one-stop market from the west-coast via asian carriers. I didn't even mention the subtleties of most of the PE fare rules on OAL's which include low to no change fees, extra baggage allowances, priority boarding, stopovers, etc. And if you compare the soft product of UA to say AC, NZ, BR, or even NH and you believe UA is going to sustain a premium, LOL. Heck even SQ matches BR's fares. Maybe you are right, this is just an upgrade-co-pay slot for the corporate contract. If so UA will be laughing all the way to the bank. But the spreads are too great atm vs. the co-pays and the market so I don't think they have it priced right.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But that's the PE market at the moment. It's bracketed by E/E- on the low end (which is trashed in Asia) and J on the high end which is quite competitive in the one-stop market from the west-coast via asian carriers. I didn't even mention the subtleties of most of the PE fare rules on OAL's which include low to no change fees, extra baggage allowances, priority boarding, stopovers, etc. And if you compare the soft product of UA to say AC, NZ, BR, or even NH and you believe UA is going to sustain a premium, LOL. Heck even SQ matches BR's fares. Maybe you are right, this is just an upgrade-co-pay slot for the corporate contract. If so UA will be laughing all the way to the bank. But the spreads are too great atm vs. the co-pays and the market so I don't think they have it priced right.
I think we should wait until they actually start selling these things before we worry too much about the price, as it seems to be very much up in the air right now.

I just repeated my AUS-SIN search from yesterday; whereas then, I got fares between $2700 and $3200 for P+, today I see a $1265 RT fare with no penalties that books into R (RLE08BUL, May 8 - May 22, for the curious).

As far as the other things you mention -- baggage allowance, stopovers, etc. -- they haven't announced any of those details yet, so I don't see any reason to assume the worst.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Have you actually flown PE on any of the asian carriers you mentioned ? CX and NH PE you got the same meal like in the back, out of all the ones you mentioned, basically SQ and BR are the only two stand out, only two worth the price.

A recent check for ORD-HKG, CX PE charge the outrageous $2200 while one stop AA PE charge $1500, at least on AA PE you are going to get served a domestic F meal in PE, i am not sure who is paying that price on CX.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I've sat in it, it's not competitive at all to other PE cabins I've seen. I won't personally be paying for it since I fly TPAC and they have to price it with NH (which is absurd $$, you can get CX PE for 1/2 to 1/3 of NH PE and DL and AA for even less than that).

Originally Posted by cricketer
I have to say, UA has probably got this right, if things work as I expect. They're creating an incentive for me to buy R as a 1K, so that I've got a real shot at clearing into PZ (which I suspect will become even less confirmable in advance). We'll see how the combination of pricing and UA's back-end systems play out though.
I don't know about USA-Europe routes, but for TPAC and USA-(most)Latin America PZ is quite easy on a number of routes, I don't see that changing.

The question will be what happens during those last two weeks. If they're overselling Y and having to op-up pax to P+, it's going to be a massive failure. If they manage to convert some sales from high-priced Y to higher-priced P+, it'll be a success.
That's exactly what happens with NH PE on many routes now, they oversell Y like crazy and upgrade ppl to PE for free, then upgrade *G to business. I've had this happen countless times on NH. Having said that NH has a very high proportion of premium seats to regular economy seats, so have a feeling that plays into it as well. UA still has a lot of E+ and E- seats in the back, so many not need to use them for upgrades nearly as much as NH does.

One point you're missing though in UA converting high priced Y to higher priced P+, in many cases in the past, what I've seen is that PE will sell out slower than Y, so it'll go to a tipping point where Y is more expensive that PE, people will start booking PE until it sells out or re-adjusts to the higher fare. I've had exactly that same thing happen on NH before, the one and only time I booked them in PE directly, it was short notice, I booked a one way from CLE-NRT and the cheapest was PE, not Y. Needless to say, I just upgraded it and flew C anyway.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dvs7310
One point you're missing though in UA converting high priced Y to higher priced P+, in many cases in the past, what I've seen is that PE will sell out slower than Y, so it'll go to a tipping point where Y is more expensive that PE, people will start booking PE until it sells out or re-adjusts to the higher fare.
UA has the ability to address this by using differential pricing the way they do in the domestic F market. I saw some early fares a month ago that were set up that way, but the TPAC fares are not. I wonder if there's something in the JV to make that difficult. I can't imagine they'd ever want the cheapest P+ seat to be less than the cheapest Y seat.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Have you actually flown PE on any of the asian carriers you mentioned ? CX and NH PE you got the same meal like in the back, out of all the ones you mentioned, basically SQ and BR are the only two stand out, only two worth the price.

A recent check for ORD-HKG, CX PE charge the outrageous $2200 while one stop AA PE charge $1500, at least on AA PE you are going to get served a domestic F meal in PE, i am not sure who is paying that price on CX.
I have actually. The economy meals I've had blow away anything UA offers in E and come close to some of the J service I've had on UA. Plus you get served promptly and have more food than you can eat. I value the comfortable space, dedicated lav, prompt service/snack/bev service you get with the Asian carriers than what UA may be offering at the moment.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Looks like AOR are in GDS as well, all zeroed out at this moment.

Code:
1 UA 058 J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 O0 A0 /SFO I FRA 1 1350 0955+1E0/77W 11:05
R0 Y9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N9

Made a dummy booking for Apr 10 ~ Apr 18 SFO-SIN in R, comes out $1311.46 all in, NH leg in K though. SFO-PEK at $1404.40 <100 premium over W, I am 100% sure 1Ks will buy R over W in this case.
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gokeeper
Made a dummy booking for Apr 10 ~ Apr 18 SFO-SIN in R, comes out $1311.46 all in, NH leg in K though. SFO-PEK at $1404.40 <100 premium over W, I am 100% sure 1Ks will buy R over W in this case.
Unless PZ is open. And given the opportunity, of course. If traveling for work, P+ may not be allowed.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA has the ability to address this by using differential pricing the way they do in the domestic F market. I saw some early fares a month ago that were set up that way, but the TPAC fares are not. I wonder if there's something in the JV to make that difficult. I can't imagine they'd ever want the cheapest P+ seat to be less than the cheapest Y seat.
TPAC is getting published with a differential faring scheme, and is mind-blowingly cheap. Seems like they're deciding to go stick it to NH and price-match SQ and BR after all. SFO-SIN from $1,282 r/t a/i

Eighth position is the secondary inventory (non-differential fares published as R-R) and the fare differential is $250 per direction.

Code:
FARE CLS  EXPLANATION                            BOOK CODES    
--------  ----------------------                 ----------    
RLXRIF5K  NO ADDITIONAL FCL TEXT DATA FOUND      R             

BOOKING CODE EXCEPTIONS                                       
   VIA UA  K/R   PERMITTED R   WHEN K AVAILABLE  R-K FARES     
                               BETWEEN USA-AREA 3  AND         
           K/R   PERMITTED R   WHEN K AVAILABLE  R-K FARES  FLTS
                               0001-2839  AND                  
           K/R   PERMITTED R   WHEN K AVAILABLE  R-K FARES  FLTS
                               3150-6399
Looks like PE has been loaded fully as it shows in expert mode too (zeroed out): O ON A R RN

Not entirely sure what that means for award travel in PE to start out. They have also fixed the bug where a/c with PE had JCDZP mis-coded as United Polaris first.

Last edited by findark; Dec 1, 2018 at 8:01 pm
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Does that fare book into PE or Y on NRT-SN?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.