Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching from SQ into UA?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Platinum,SQ, DL, AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by OpenSky
I think you will find the service to be quite lacking, and a shock on UAL, bordering on junk.
I must disagree with you on this as I have flown them for over 10 years from SIN and most of the FAs are good.

Originally Posted by OpenSky
The typical US flag carrier non sense.
Entitled staff. ( a good example of this is when a pilot diverted an entire plane to HNL for a personal emergency, but kept flying

I was on this flight and it is NOT as what you stated. They did NOT divert the flight for the Pilot to get off at HNL. I suggest you read this post on the incident as me and others have provided some accounts to what happened.
jsloan and SFOdelayed like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, OZ
Originally Posted by chrisksc
Hi ShenW

There are quite a number of us who are based in SIN who are UAMP.

I personally also used to have both UAMP (1K) and SQKF (Gold) but due to cuts in travel and the fact that SQ has become pricier and stingy in awarding miles, I have stopped accruing on SQ and focus on UA. However, I still maintain SQ for the purpose of depositing my credit card miles earned and use them for SQ premium awards.

For UA, I will probably attain 1MM next year as I have just ended 2018 slightly over 100K to maintain 1K for 2019. I would have achieved 1MM this year if it wasn't for UA to discontinued NRT/HKG flights 2yrs/1yr ago. I was really disappointed and angry with UA for this as it has cost me more to travel on other airlines and clock in lesser PQM. Nevertheless, such is life, we adopt and move on.
Thanks for the sharing.
I think I will keep my SQ KF as well, for some flight class where UA did not give any PQM.
Yes, I like your comment that "such is life, we adopt and move on".

I used to have SGD4k short to reach PPS, but decided to drop the idea to fork out myself to achieve it, due to lack of time, also it was a huge amount to me.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
To the original poster : the only benefit I see to switching to UA is better US connectivity to the interior, i.e Kansas, Austin etc.
If you go to the coasts, you can skip UA. Anther solid reason is perhaps the OP wants Americans style service, sundaes etc, and doesn't like the robotic nature of SQ.
I will say though the dine on demand is not consitent , that the FA's go out of their way to forget ( on UA), but will reluctantly do it if you ask. Reluctantly.

KF Gold is kind of whatever. 2 extra bags in Y, Krisflyer gold lounge access plus star gold lounge access ( including UA domestic) .
The real difference is when you qualify for PPS, and have access to the PPS club coordinator, who can do favors for you ( sometimes) like clearing waitlists etc.
But really status is not necessary on SQ since premium pax get treated well regardless.

On UA its do or die, you're basically a pariah without status.

If I'm flying to SIN unless UA is substantially cheaper by several thousand, I don't see the point. In fact often UA fares are sometimes higher than SQ.

After many years, I'm kind of jaded. I've done everything from Connoisseur class to the current Polaris. Life is too short for mediocrity…...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 22, 2018 at 12:55 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s); snark removed
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ShenW
Thanks for explanation, my ignorance, on the difference in PQM and redeemable miles.
I just checked again, actually, I might have been wrong in checking the PQM! The below screenshot (of my flights) actually means 20580 PQM one way, right? As for the redeemable miles, it will be 16303 one way, for silver.
So I will have about 40k PQM for a round trip. Which means, I will need about 10k PQM by end of the year. Still slightly impossible though.

Screenshot of P Class PQM
For now, decreases to 15k next year.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, OZ
Eventually, got my UA gold for the time being. Still not sure if I will get frequent trip to US in the next 12 month, especially now that P class PQM is getting lower
Also, I realized there are some pro and cons when redeeming UA miles (vs SQ miles) on other star alliance flight.

All in all, it will be a new experience for me, and too bad I have to say goodbye to SQ gold (for the time being).
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.