Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Yet again standby passengers upgraded before regular waitlist

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist

beeb wait listed for three months was number 3 with four seats and then four standby passengers all upgraded. Not the first tine how does this happen
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Not sure, but looks like Smisek is now using his middle name to travel.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
My guess is RUB and at least one SMI were Global Services.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I see you pointedly did not show the Upgraded list. From what you show, there is no evidence they were upgraded. They could have been standing by for F, or were disserviced F passengers from another flight.
GFrye and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I see you pointedly did not show the Upgraded list. From what you show, there is no evidence they were upgraded. They could have been standing by for F, or were disserviced F passengers from another flight.
This.
chebert999 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:18 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
You can call 1k customer service and they can see if it was a nonrev that was upgraded instead of you.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There's definitely something funky here. You can't standby for the premium cabin.

Though it's not necessarily shenanigans. There have been lots of issues with the app display recently, as UA makes changes to fare buckets and other features.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
There's definitely something funky here. You can't standby for the premium cabin.

Though it's not necessarily shenanigans. There have been lots of issues with the app display recently, as UA makes changes to fare buckets and other features.
The upgrade list for that flight (now that it's closed) doesn't show anyone upgraded, so part of this could be funkiness with app. And given that app is no longer showing upgrades, also possible the Smisek family was using GPUs and/or had higher fare class than OP, but hadn't checked in (and showed as standby not upgrade because the app's upgrade list is crap these days).
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by drewguy
The upgrade list for that flight (now that it's closed) doesn't show anyone upgraded, so part of this could be funkiness with app. And given that app is no longer showing upgrades, also possible the Smisek family was using GPUs and/or had higher fare class than OP, but hadn't checked in (and showed as standby not upgrade because the app's upgrade list is crap these days).
Yeah I think it's hard to draw any conclusions at all about the upgrade process right now based on what the app displays.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
YES you can, when you are protected you are on the premium cabin standby list. You won't see them on the app screen. Last week out of ORD I was protected on flight and was on standby list.
geckoflyer likes this.

Last edited by ZZYZXROAD; Nov 15, 2018 at 10:31 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
YES you can, when you are protected you are on the premium cabin standby list. You won't see them on the app screen. Last week out of ORD I was protected on flight and was on standby list.
You're on the upgrade standby list. That's different.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
What good would it do? United removed all upgrades from the app once cleared for international flights. The list would be blank. The only help the upgrade list would show is where the people upgraded stood on the list *before* they were upgraded.

This has been reported repeatedly now on the boards (including by me). United will now only show 1K and lower upgraded after check-in and on domestic flights only. GS on domestic won't even show up as upgraded any longer based on many reports.

-RM
drewguy likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:50 pm

Employee class trumps paying passengers ...
fotographer and Silver Fox like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
I can assure you that minutes before this screen showed that me and two above me were going to clear before it went SMI X 3 and as other poster says they were not shown on regular standby list
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:01 pm

Not sure how the logic is when displaying NRPS these days, but something to consider.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.