Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA eliminating PHL-IAD flights. UPDATE - Flights Being Restored as of OCT 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA eliminating PHL-IAD flights. UPDATE - Flights Being Restored as of OCT 2019

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

UA eliminating PHL-IAD flights. UPDATE - Flights now being removed as of March 4

Update again, Now all flights being removed as of March 4 2022

Last edited by ednort; Jan 12, 2022 at 2:23 pm Reason: Fights being removed as of March 4 2022
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, ednort!

Originally Posted by ednort
Just seems conceding this service to AAL would not be a good move.
How are they conceding it? AA doesn't fly this route.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

AAL will maybe add the flight or they will add DCA-PHL later in 2019, leaving even less competition in PHL.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Really? I take those flights fairly often.. sometimes with killer fares from LAX. I normally do LAX IAD PHL and get to use the Turkish Airlines club at IAD and the American Express lounge at PHL.. there goes that fun
ednort likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

That 1 hour flight sure beats the highway 95 traffic or Amtrak delays😁

That 1 hour flight sure beats the highway 95 traffic or Amtrak delays😁
Old Nov 12, 2018, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It closes off a lot of UA connection options, especially for UA TATL flights as well as those operated by partners who don't operate from PHL.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
From past several months, they had IAD-PHL fare priced at $384 which was extraordinarily expensive and planes were flying at much lower capacity. My skeptic mind sees this as some kind of secret handshake with AA where AA gave up a route letting United build monopoly and United gave up IAD-PHL to let AA have that monopoly. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but United had no reason to price that fare so high several months in advance. Unless, they wanted to show there wasn't enough capacity to justify flying that route!!
manstein58 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by hokiebuy
From past several months, they had IAD-PHL fare priced at $384 which was extraordinarily expensive and planes were flying at much lower capacity. My skeptic mind sees this as some kind of secret handshake with AA where AA gave up a route letting United build monopoly and United gave up IAD-PHL to let AA have that monopoly. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but United had no reason to price that fare so high several months in advance. Unless, they wanted to show there wasn't enough capacity to justify flying that route!!
Not discounting your theory, but isn't it typical for short flights like this to have high fares? Few people probably use this flight for O&D, and UA doesn't want to be in a position to not be able to sell a $1500 flight PHL-IAD-LHR because the seat is taken up by someone flying a $150 fare PHL-IAD. Relatedly, anyone who buys that flight only from PHL-IAD is probably willing to pay a premium. (Same issue with any non-stop but probably even more true for these ultra-short flights.) What's the history of fares on this route?

I used to fly US Airways often from BWI to connect in PHL (some 90 miles), and saw the same pattern; can't imagine that many people were O&D in BWI and PHL.
drewguy and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
YAHOO!! Christmas comes early! I used to flug PHL - IAD - XXX and return monthly and one of the few things that I could count on was [Moderator edit] airframes and delays and missed connections. Not to mention usually higher costs. Thanks UA, For helping me to discover the Choo - Choo to EWR. Better costs and lounges.
Xyzzy likes this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Nov 13, 2018 at 8:24 am Reason: Per FT Rules against vulgarities even if disguised.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
YAHOO!! Christmas comes early! I used to flug PHL - IAD - XXX and return monthly and one of the few things that I could count on was [Moderator edit] airframes and delays and missed connections. Not to mention usually higher costs.
Those are the same reasons PHL-EWR service went away a few years ago.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Nov 13, 2018 at 8:25 am Reason: Conforming moderator edit to original quote.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Sad to see this go. For a long time, that was the best way to get a later flight to DEN from PHL. The DEN-PHL-DEN schedules have been variable over the years and often no very business friendly.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hokiebuy
Sorry, but that's nonsense.

There is almost zero O&D traffic for the WAS-PHL market. They're only about 120 miles apart and have frequent train service. This is especially true for PHL-IAD; people who live / work in or near DC aren't going to schlep all the way out to IAD just to get on 20 minute flight to PHL -- blocked at an hour due to taxiing on both ends, and still likely late because 120-mile United Express flights are among the first to get delayed.

The very small number of PHL-WAS travelers were likely flying AA to DCA anyway. This isn't some big lucrative market for either AA or UA.

Almost everyone who would have flown PHL-IAD was connecting -- and connecting fares have absolutely nothing to do with the fares on the individual legs. UA has decided that it would rather route PHL travelers through western hubs, or via the train to Newark. Now, this will definitely cost them some business -- it's hard for me to imagine remaining a UA loyalist if you need to fly from Philly to Florida or Philly to Europe, for example -- but it's not the business you've identified and it's not some grand conspiracy.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by tods27
Sad to see this go. For a long time, that was the best way to get a later flight to DEN from PHL. The DEN-PHL-DEN schedules have been variable over the years and often no very business friendly.
Certainly not now as you'd have to make a 2:35 PM flight from PHL to IAD to connect to DEN. The N/S flight is an hour or so later than that one.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Similar pattern with adding COS-DEN to a trip. It’s a very short flight and actually a reasonable drive, but UA is all over the map on what it adds now, sometimes nothing, sometimes adding $500 to the ticket cost.

Based on some comments UA should walk away from secondary airports to nearby Hubs?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
secondary airports that are hubs for competitors...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.