Wiki Posts
Search

Green tag bags sent to baggage claim

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Green tag bags sent to baggage claim

A rather odd occurrence last night at SYR. Flew in on 6232 from IAD which arrived about 10 minutes early. As soon as the door opened, one of the ramp agents said all bags (including green tag bags) would be sent to baggage claim. Bags didn't show up on the belt until 30+ minutes after arrival. Not sure if this is a staffing issue, but it was a bit annoying given that it was almost midnight and I wanted to get home as soon as possible after a long day. Even worse, 3 DL flights arrived after us and had their checked bags on the belt before we got any of our bags (carry-on or checked).

Has anyone seen this happen before? I've flown plenty of UX flights over the past few years with no experience like this. Not a huge deal at the end of the day, but not the most "flyer friendly" experience.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by smxflyer
.... all bags (including green tag bags) would be sent to baggage claim.
Has anyone seen this happen before? ...
Have heard this announcement on rare occansions for UX flights, I thoightit might be a airport specific issue but this seems to be your home airport. My have been a gate specific issue or a staffing issue.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:05 pm

I have experienced it at ASE on the odd occasion over five years ago, not recently - annoying when you have no checked baggage.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Has anyone seen this happen before? I've flown plenty of UX flights over the past few years with no experience like this. Not a huge deal at the end of the day, but not the most "flyer friendly" experience.
It happens on rare occasion in ROC too; generally when the weather is bad and they don't want people standing in the jetway or when it's a tight turn and they want to expedite boarding of the return (neither of which sounded like it was responsible for yesterday's event).

And don't fret, our baggage claim is just as slow in ROC as it is in SYR. 30+ min to offload a E145 is normal.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I have had it happen a couple of times @ CLL, The excuse was a broken conveyor belt that never seemed to get fixed
Of course this is a 2 gate airport, so not really a big deal as the bags are always delivered within 5-10 minutes of landing.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:09 pm

A rather odd occurrence last night at SYR. Flew in on 6232 from IAD which arrived about 10 minutes early. As soon as the door opened, one of the ramp agents said all bags (including green tag bags) would be sent to baggage claim. Bags didn't show up on the belt until 30+ minutes after arrival. Not sure if this is a staffing issue, but it was a bit annoying given that it was almost midnight and I wanted to get home as soon as possible after a long day. Even worse, 3 DL flights arrived after us and had their checked bags on the belt before we got any of our bags (carry-on or checked).

I had it happen to me once on a flight to Canada. Of course, my passport was in my carry-on bag and that caused me to miss a flight. I confirmed with 3 people that my bag would be at the top of the gate in ORD before they took it.

I haven't had to green tag a bag since, but I've been on loads of flights where green tags are sent to the baggage claim area. Just to be on the safe side, I'd say always count on baggage claim being a possibility.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by michicago
I had it happen to me once on a flight to Canada. Of course, my passport was in my carry-on bag and that caused me to miss a flight. I confirmed with 3 people that my bag would be at the top of the gate in ORD before they took it.

I haven't had to green tag a bag since, but I've been on loads of flights where green tags are sent to the baggage claim area. Just to be on the safe side, I'd say always count on baggage claim being a possibility.
Sorry to hear that ... passport should always be in the front pocket of your pants or shirt, i.e., on your person at all times during the flight. I've stopped changing into the PJs on overnight transatlantic flights because I want my wallet and passport with me, not in the overhead bin.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Sorry to hear that ... passport should always be in the front pocket of your pants or shirt, i.e., on your person at all times during the flight. I've stopped changing into the PJs on overnight transatlantic flights because I want my wallet and passport with me, not in the overhead bin.
Yeah, that was nobody's fault but my own. I always have my laptop bag with me and there's a special pocket where I keep my passport so it's never an issue. It just happened to be, on that flight of course, that I threw it in the other bag during some frenzied packing.

Lesson learned!
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I've had that happen on late night arrivals at smaller outstations where all pax are terminators and the airplane is due to RON. Off the top of my head, I recall it at TUS, GUC, EGE and SBP, at least. In the case of SBP, IIRC it was on a pretty cold evening and nobody was very interested in waiting outside for the cart.

Not all that much difference in time at smaller stations, IMO, and sometimes it's welcome.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
This happens occasionally at EAU. Honestly it's normally not ultimately much slower than waiting on the jet bridge, and when you've got 50 people coming off a CRJ, everyone standing waiting in the jet bridge for bags is pretty annoying itself.

I think sometimes they may do this if the incoming is late and they are trying to turn the flight quickly - they'll pull the bags and then get the next flight out before going back to get all the previous bags unloaded. Or if they are short staffed and don't have someone to handle the bags right away.

But even when I end up picking up my bag at bag claim at EAU, it's still almost always faster than picking up my bag at the jet bridge in ORD.

Last edited by raehl311; Oct 29, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I've had it happen. Usually poor weather or an apparent staffing shortage. At a station where one is not likely to be connecting, it ought not to be an issue. But, 30 minutes for bags at ROC suggests a serious staffing problem.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:32 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
happens all the time at yyc because their vendor is always short staffed. very mediocre.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott LTPP
Happens at MTJ now and again, especially in the winter. Normally weather related but sometimes staffing. Annoying as the wait can be a lot longer but what ya gonna do?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, HH-Gold, MR - Gold, HY-Explorist
I have seen it a number of times when it is the last flight of the night. Actually motivated me to go shop for a bag that would fit on a CR or CR7 overhead.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Has happened to me at BUR when traveling Express. Not often, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.