FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1936905-3-class-f-seat-now-sold-domestic-f-polaris-bus-gs-j-c-d-1k-may-select-pre-olci.html)

WineCountryUA Oct 23, 2018 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler (Post 30348279)
I’m assuming if I select a former GF seat now for a flight in March, and I lose my 1K status on Feb 1....That I’ll get swept out of the seat?

I would doubt it. Seat swepts for E+ occur on aircraft changes and that is the bigger likelihood for flight in March -- an aircraft change to a true Polaris seat.

Seat swepts are not done on status changes for E+.

findark Oct 23, 2018 5:54 pm

Agreed -- your odds of Polaris seats are the real limiting factor.

rotnkornkid Oct 24, 2018 8:51 am

🤷🏻.♂️

Here’s something I can’t explain.... I have a roundtrip Z/P class ticket on a 777-200 out of SFO departing in about a month. I requested miles + cash upgrade on the outbound only. I’m Premier 1K.

I just randomly checked on the reservation in my United app and noticed the following:
1. It (still?) says J-class requested on the outbound.
2. My seat has been changed to 1A in first on the return flight- where I hadn’t requested an upgrade.
3. I have access to first class on the seat map for the outbound flight as well now and was manually able to assign myself 1A.

What the heck just happened....

StuckinITH Oct 24, 2018 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Johnallent (Post 30350551)
Here’s something I can’t explain.... I have a roundtrip Z/P class ticket on a 777-200 out of SFO departing in about a month. I requested miles + cash upgrade on the outbound only. I’m Premier 1K.

I just randomly checked on the reservation in my United app and noticed the following:
2. My seat has been changed to 1A in first on the return flight- where I hadn’t requested an upgrade.
3. I have access to first class on the seat map for the outbound flight as well now and was manually able to assign myself 1A.

Rules changed this past Saturday. There are different threads where this has been reported and discussed but I need to look for them. If you had applied an instrument for waitlisting on the outbound, they will return the instrument. Editing to add that they will not charge you the miles + copay.

Thread you are looking for is: 3-class First seats now considered Domestic F/Polaris Business & selectable by 1K/GSs

bilofsky Oct 24, 2018 9:27 am

Thanks for posting! I am flying IAD-SFO next month in ZN and was able to reassign from row 7 (8 across facing backwards) to 1H and 1K (4 across angled seats, according to the seatmap).

findark Oct 24, 2018 12:14 pm

I would also recommend getting your miles refunded and the waitlist removed now rather than after UA changes their mind about GF seat selection.

BusinessElite25 Oct 24, 2018 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH (Post 30344953)
Yes, there are other threads that discussed this issue this weekend. Many FTers jumped at the chance of seating in those better seats. What is your status? Where you trying to do that on an existing reservation or a new one? There's still the possibility that your plane will be switched to one with the new Polaris seats where there will be no old Global First seats.

Thanks! good to hear, I am traveling with a 1K who had a few GPU to burn. I'm hoping they don't switch the plane by Jan.

In2ishn Oct 24, 2018 7:44 pm

Best course of action now?

I’m a lowly Plat. booked J on a 772 ORD TPAC. I used miles&$, was put on the GF waitlist, and chose good seats in J.

Now the app says “J Class Requested”, I am “in” seat 2H (yay!) but the icon is square and no other seats appear available. I am concerned that I will not really be upgraded, will have already lost my good business class seat (aisle access is a must), and will spend 14 hours annoyed and annoying others by stepping over them.

Is there any chance this upgrade will stick?

StuckinITH Oct 24, 2018 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by In2ishn (Post 30352829)
I’m a lowly Plat. booked J on a 772 ORD TPAC. I used miles&$, was put on the GF waitlist, and chose good seats in J.

Now the app says “J Class Requested”, I am “in” seat 2H (yay!) but the icon is square and no other seats appear available. I am concerned that I will not really be upgraded, will have already lost my good business class seat (aisle access is a must), and will spend 14 hours annoyed and annoying others by stepping over them.

I was told on this thread that unless there's a change of plane, the upgrade to a seat in the First Class area for my wife who is in the same situation as you will stick. She's Platinum like you and she also gave away a very good aisle business class seat for a 16 hours TPAC flight. The only difference is that she was able to do it without waitlisting miles and copay for her seat. So, your miles and copay will be refunded if they have already charged that but most probably they were not going to charge it until at the gate and so will not be charged.

We have to wait one month and a half for our flight which means one month and a half of worrying about what will happen to her seat. If your flight is before that, let us know the outcome.

telemark27 Oct 25, 2018 12:03 am

Adding in my experience - Booked Z Class back from NRT to IAD a few weeks ago for a flight today10/25). Was originally in 6C, and then my seat was changed to 2C in last 24 hours or so where all GF seats had been open prior to my arrival in Japan.

jsloan Oct 25, 2018 2:59 am

Originally Posted by In2ishn (Post 30352829)

The only person so far that has reported losing out on the GF seats after having a seat assignment there was in the same situation as you were — waitlisted upgrade, then assigned into the F cabin with a message saying “J class requested.” When that passenger called to remove the upgrade request, the call center rep reseated said pax into row 6.

I’d expect the upgrade will stick as long as you don’t call any attention to the record, and there isn’t a plane swap. In fact, you’d probably need two plane swaps to have a really bad seat — the most likely swap would be between the 3-class 772 and the reconfigured 772. The first swap (to the reconfigured plane), you’d get some all-aisle access Polaris seat. A second swap could put you just about anywhere. :/

manstein58 Oct 25, 2018 6:34 am

Need some straightforward advice. What is the best way for a GS with fare "flexibility" to secure a former GF seat instead of J on former 3 class planes? TIA

villox Oct 25, 2018 6:58 am

Originally Posted by manstein58 (Post 30354237)
Need some straightforward advice. What is the best way for a GS with fare "flexibility" to secure a former GF seat instead of J on former 3 class planes? TIA

Just.... do it? It should let you select it at booking. Your only risk is if it swaps to a Polaris plane.

Supima Oct 25, 2018 8:56 am

Originally Posted by villox (Post 30354317)
Just.... do it? It should let you select it at booking. Your only risk is if it swaps to a Polaris plane.

I'm heading to HKG soon - I noticed that all of the GF seats on UA 895 are already snagged -- I'm assuming by shrewd FT's - on the day I need to go (Nov 5) - it pays to check out the seat maps before you choose your route in order to be sure to get a GF seat....

findark Oct 25, 2018 10:05 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 30353788)

The only person so far that has reported losing out on the GF seats after having a seat assignment there was in the same situation as you were — waitlisted upgrade, then assigned into the F cabin with a message saying “J class requested.” When that passenger called to remove the upgrade request, the call center rep reseated said pax into row 6.

I’d expect the upgrade will stick as long as you don’t call any attention to the record, and there isn’t a plane swap. In fact, you’d probably need two plane swaps to have a really bad seat — the most likely swap would be between the 3-class 772 and the reconfigured 772. The first swap (to the reconfigured plane), you’d get some all-aisle access Polaris seat. A second swap could put you just about anywhere. :/

My one concern is that the "J class requested" will clear at some point and trigger a human on the UA side to look at the reservation.