Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Partner flight discontinued / canceled route on UA award ticket, what are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2021, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Unfortunately, partner route discontinuances can happen and this presents a difficult situation. Note we are not talking about day-of-travel cancellations but rather schedule changes where service is no longer offered on the preferred day of travel.

If a partner cancels and UA can not get you there on UA-operated flights, the most common outcome is a refund.
But first, try to see if you can find alternative partners to get you there (including alternative dates), UA will re-book you but if there is a fare / mileage difference you may be responsible for that
UA can not force award space on partner flights but will on UA operated flights (even if you change partner flights)

The reality is there is no obligation to find a solution but UA agents are generally very willing to be creative (within the rules)

If when looking at alternative options, no award space is available, one can check if UA will contact the partner (via UA's partner liaison) and request new space. This is rarely successful and reports of success would be appreciated.
Print Wikipost

Partner flight discontinued / canceled route on UA award ticket, what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Whats weird is that SFO to ICN (OZ211) is available on dates in December. I think it's selective blackouts.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Flamenguista
Whats weird is that SFO to ICN (OZ211) is available on dates in December. I think it's selective blackouts.
If between Dec. 5 and 31, it's likely phantom space.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

So they charged another $200 to change the tickets again. Is this mandatory like I was told? Or do the booking staff have the right to waive these fees under these obvious circumstances that call for it? I did fill out the refund request online after I got off the phone with them.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:59 pm

So they charged another $200 to change the tickets again. Is this mandatory like I was told? Or do the booking staff have the right to waive these fees under these obvious circumstances that call for it? I did fill out the refund request online after I got off the phone with them.
They charged you to make a change after the flight was canceled? That's simply not correct.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
They absolutely should not do that.

If they do not promptly refund that fee, file a DOT complaint.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
They charged you to make a change after the flight was canceled? That's simply not correct.
Yeah, I couldn't believe it.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 1:29 pm

Yeah, I couldn't believe it.
I canceled my orig. booking and the agent said it'll be refunded with no cancellation fee. I don't see refund amount on my card yet, but I'll wait.

You can always call back and confirm abt the fee.

======

btw, I finally booked it. I am arriving at KUL and will take low cost flight from KUL to REP. Cost me ~$120. Couldn't avoid it.

Let me know if I had other alternate option that I could have considered.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 17, 2016 at 7:32 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:31 am
Original Poster

So my refund requests were denied!

Curious Gal, did you receive a refund?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:48 am

So my refund requests were denied!

Curious Gal, did you receive a refund?
I did. Are you saying the agents on the phone are also denying it? Try couple more. And after that, dispute with our credit card company.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by curiousGal
I did. Are you saying the agents on the phone are also denying it? Try couple more. And after that, dispute with our credit card company.
Thanks. No, the agent on the phone when I made the change stated that I needed to fill out a request online. I filled out the request online, and 6 days later I get an email saying the refund was denied. I guess I will call today. I have to say, the quality of customer service for United is lacking big time.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:31 am
Original Poster

So I went through 2 hours of being bounced from reservations to refunds to reservations to refunds to supervisors. No one wanted to take responsibility. Even the supervisor tried to tell me to wait 5 months until after I take the flight to go back online and fill out a refund request. Then she tried telling me the change fee was called for because it was a flight operated by Air China. Finally she let up and said she doesn't know the rules for rewards flights but she will "let it slide" and refund the $100 per ticket.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:32 am

Partner Flight Discontinued on UA Booked Reward - What Are My Options?

Apology if this isn't the correct forum.

Wife and I booked a business class awards ticket using united miles from AUS-LAX-DUB on 6/1 of next year. the LAX-DUB route is on Ethiopian Airlines.

From a couple articles I've seen in the last day it loos like Ethiopian Airlines is cancelling that LAX-DUB route as of around the end of this year.

What are my options for re-booking? Obviously I'd really like to keep the business class flight (got it on a saver award). Will united open up inventory for me since the flight was cancelled and I booked it through them?

Thanks,

-Dan

[Moderator note: ladies and gents please AVOID using non-descriptive titles. "Quick question", "Strange issue", "odd experience", or "canceled route question" do little to help other readers see what the thread's about.]

Last edited by J.Edward; Oct 18, 2018 at 8:25 am Reason: Improve thread title.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Suggest you read this ET LAX-DUB-LAX Cancelled?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Presumably EI, because it now operates LAX-DUB, was behind EY losing its traffic rights on the route. I wonder if the remaining rights would permit award tickets, as that's the key question as to whether the OP's reservation will stick.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dweyant
What are my options for re-booking? Obviously I'd really like to keep the business class flight (got it on a saver award). Will united open up inventory for me since the flight was cancelled and I booked it through them?
Yes. As soon as the cancellation is noted in your record, you should be able to call and get UA to open award space on its own flights to DUB. You may need to call a couple of times, as some agents are better than others.

The best way to proceed is to do a search for AUS-DUB on that date and pick out whichever option appeals to you, ignoring the number of miles required. I note that AUS-FRA-DUB is available, but you could likely get them to switch you to AUS-EWR-DUB, AUS-IAH-LHR-DUB, etc. if you prefer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.