Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Partner flight discontinued / canceled route on UA award ticket, what are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2021, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Unfortunately, partner route discontinuances can happen and this presents a difficult situation. Note we are not talking about day-of-travel cancellations but rather schedule changes where service is no longer offered on the preferred day of travel.

If a partner cancels and UA can not get you there on UA-operated flights, the most common outcome is a refund.
But first, try to see if you can find alternative partners to get you there (including alternative dates), UA will re-book you but if there is a fare / mileage difference you may be responsible for that
UA can not force award space on partner flights but will on UA operated flights (even if you change partner flights)

The reality is there is no obligation to find a solution but UA agents are generally very willing to be creative (within the rules)

If when looking at alternative options, no award space is available, one can check if UA will contact the partner (via UA's partner liaison) and request new space. This is rarely successful and reports of success would be appreciated.
Print Wikipost

Partner flight discontinued / canceled route on UA award ticket, what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:53 am

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful advice. I'm fine with a longer layover in HKG and the final destination is served on UA metal via SFO, so it seems things should work out one way or the other.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: united
Years ago I was booked by UA on VARIG, at the time a Star Alliance carrier, from LAX-LIM roundtrip. VARIG then eliminated the route. United transfered my ticket onto LAN, which was part of OneWorld, and even credited the FF miles I would have earned.

I have never forgotten that.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The key is to have done the legwork before calling UA. If UA serves the final destination, start with UA options. If it does not, move on to *A, and then other carriers with which it may partner or at least interline. The key is to have the dates and flight numbers handy.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FormerLurker
While all of this is good advice, be aware that UA will not follow it 100% of the time. I recently had a flight booked on a combination of UA and OS. OS completely removed the connecting flight from the schedule resulting in a 5+-hour connection compared to the original 90-minute connection. UA would not budge (despite having flights on its own metal from origin to destination) and said that the best they could do was another OS flight. Three different phone reps, including one claiming to be a supervisor, said the same, so YMMV. (This is also different than my experience over 15+ years as a UA elite of one flavor or another, so maybe there is something unique about OS? though I doubt it.) So if HX cancels your flight, but has another later in the day/next day, you might want to be prepared to have to fight through a very extended layover. (I resolved it by forcing them to cancel/refund and rebooked elsewhere.)
Time to go through the BBB for example to get a decent response. Unless they can find OS flights that can get you to your destination at an equivalent time ... they should absolutely be accomodating you on their own metal.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
United award, partner (Air China) cancelled flight - recourse?

Hi All,

I have two award tickets booked for my parents SIN to LIH using United miles. Original trip was SIN -> PEK, PEK -> HNL, HNL -> LIH with first 2 legs on Air China. Air China has canceled the PEK -> HNL route as of Aug 27. I just happened to see it in the news. Checked the reservation and there is no middle leg showing up anymore. United has not reached out in any way. Before I call, what rights might I have in this case? Alternate options to HI in Dec are extremely expensive now
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
United will rebook on its own metal, regardless of award values now.

They will be much less likely to rebook on partners if the award value has gone up.

Problem is, everything all UA metal will route through SFO, with a decent layover. But they could break up the trip that way also.

See what pops up on just a revenue flight and try pushing those to the agent.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:40 pm

They probably can book you on SIN to NRT on NH (since it’s a JV anyways and codeshared) and then United to HNL and then onto LIH. Through SFO probably will work as well but kinda long unless you are upfront.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Sin-nrt-hnl would be my pick, if available. Icn also works.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by myperks
They probably can book you on SIN to NRT on NH (since it’s a JV anyways and codeshared) and then United to HNL and then onto LIH. Through SFO probably will work as well but kinda long unless you are upfront.
JV and codeshare are irrelevant.

OP: UA can open award space on its own metal, but not on partners. Do an award search -- not a paid search -- for those dates and see what comes back. Ignore the number of miles required. If you see something that you like, call and request to change to it.
PTahCha likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If in J, I would do SIN-SFO-HNL on UA metal (maybe a shorter routing if I space is around), in Y look for X space to NRT or GUM and take UA from there.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
If in J, I would do SIN-SFO-HNL on UA metal (maybe a shorter routing if I space is around), in Y look for X space to NRT or GUM and take UA from there.
Out of the two, I'd recommend NRT. Award space to GUM is going to end up being something like SIN-MNL-GUM. I don't really recommend transfers at MNL (although, it should be better now that UA is in terminal 3).
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
Out of the two, I'd recommend NRT. Award space to GUM is going to end up being something like SIN-MNL-GUM. I don't really recommend transfers at MNL (although, it should be better now that UA is in terminal 3).
Fair - just looked it up and didn't realize NRT was that close to the GC route on SIN-HNL.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:36 pm

JV and codeshare are irrelevant.

OP: UA can open award space on its own metal, but not on partners. Do an award search -- not a paid search -- for those dates and see what comes back. Ignore the number of miles required. If you see something that you like, call and request to change to it.
Of course JV and codeshare is relevant. United is more likely to rebook OP on ANA then Singapore airlines, in my experience. Do a paid search and ask United to open up space with star alliance liaison. Doing an award search ignoring the miles in theory is valid but anything that includes a partner that shows up on United dot com is saver anyways. You won’t see better flights that don’t have saver partner award availability in saver, where the liaison may be able to open up for the OP. If it’s all united, then it doesn’t matter.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course JV and codeshare is relevant. United is more likely to rebook OP on ANA then Singapore airlines, in my experience. Do a paid search and ask United to open up space with star alliance liaison.
What you're describing, I'd suggest as a last resort. (And even if JV were relevant, codeshare isn't: you can't book an award on a codeshare flight).

Doing an award search ignoring the miles in theory is valid but anything that includes a partner that shows up on United dot com is saver anyways. You won’t see better flights that don’t have saver partner award availability in saver, where the liaison may be able to open up for the OP.
There are multiple reports on FT about UA being unwilling / unable to open partner space, liaison or not. Yes, it's theoretically possible, but the only time I'd go to that much trouble is if there's literally no other alternative -- because if there is an alternative that doesn't involve a partner opening space, UA is likely to try to push for that anyway.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:07 pm

What you're describing, I'd suggest as a last resort. (And even if JV were relevant, codeshare isn't: you can't book an award on a codeshare flight).

There are multiple reports on FT about UA being unwilling / unable to open partner space, liaison or not. Yes, it's theoretically possible, but the only time I'd go to that much trouble is if there's literally no other alternative -- because if there is an alternative that doesn't involve a partner opening space, UA is likely to try to push for that anyway.
fair points. It’s just that the only way for united to get the op to the destination from Singapore is through SFO. That should be no problem at all. All other routes require some sort of liaison since if the flights are the same saver price with partners, then it would be a non issue for united to replace.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.