Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MP locked my account due to "Fraud", Help {caused by UA error, access restored}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
Lessons Learned
  • Don't assume members whose accounts are locked did something bad
  • UA agents seem to be unable or unwilling to help when accounts are locked
  • In post #21, OP said: "The situation has been resolved after escalating to the [email protected] , funny how one email to the right address is more useful than over 30 CS agents at the elite desk."
Print Wikipost

MP locked my account due to "Fraud", Help {caused by UA error, access restored}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy
Just curious... How do you know they were "random Indian passengers" and what airline could they have used UA miles on for an upgrade at 15k a piece? That seems very low. UA doesn't even fly to or from Russia.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Gabdawg
Just curious... How do you know they were "random Indian passengers" and what airline could they have used UA miles on for an upgrade at 15k a piece? That seems very low. UA doesn't even fly to or from Russia.
U beat me to it. (Random Indian passengers could be because OP knows their names.)
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gabdawg
The only Star Alliance Upgrade Award that costs 15K and includes Russia is an intra-European Business to First award. Unless LH operates an F cabin on some of its Russian flights, some detail seems wrong.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
When I redeem miles for an air travel award, under account activity you can click and they show you the traveller names. OP could have done this and seen 2 Indian names. Also, 15k is the upgrade cost for someone booked into Y from Europe -> US.

Edited to add, I don't think there are any direct *A flights from Russia to NYC, so it could be an upgrade award on just Russia-somewhere in Europe before the TATL leg
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zymm
When I redeem miles for an air travel award, under account activity you can click and they show you the traveller names. OP could have done this and seen 2 Indian names. Also, 15k is the upgrade cost for someone booked into Y from Europe -> US.

Edited to add, I don't think there are any direct *A flights from Russia to NYC, so it could be an upgrade award on just Russia-somewhere in Europe before the TATL leg
Actually, your first interpretation might be more reasonable -- it could have been two travelers booked in Y who upgraded only the UA part of the flight.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Update,

So The situation has been resolved after escalating to the [email protected] , funny how one email to the right address is more useful than over 30 CS agents at the elite desk.

To clarify the situation so to help someone else in the future.

Yes the upgrades were of 15k for 2 passengers, the reason I know the names of the passengers is due to the fact that they appear in the online profile statement. I looked before calling to report the suspicious activity in my account. I knew they were traveling from russia to NYC as that is what the CS rep told me when I called in the activity. They were actually in the air at that time.

The fraud department or what ever you want to call it confirmed that it was a human error by the same CS agen that processed my RPU, No hacking or mal intended activity. So the freezing of the account was done as a preventive measure under my consensus. Nobody wants their MP piggy bank to be drained.

End of story. to summarize, only one department can resolve these kinds of issues and it sucks that there is not phone number to call. At the end of the day you have to play the email rulette and wait for them to get to you.

Cheers for the people that actually tried to help rather than infer actions that were never remotely mentioned in my description.
SK, jsloan, lensman and 23 others like this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by pmlflyer
Update,

So The situation has been resolved after escalating to the [email protected] , funny how one email to the right address is more useful than over 30 CS agents at the elite desk.

Yes the upgrades were of 15k for 2 passengers, the reason I know the names of the passengers is due to the fact that they appear in the online profile statement. I looked before calling to report the suspicious activity in my account. I knew they were traveling from russia to NYC as that is what the CS rep told me when I called in the activity. They were actually in the air at that time.

The fraud department or what ever you want to call it confirmed that it was a human error by the same CS agen that processed my RPU, No hacking or mal intended activity. So the freezing of the account was done as a preventive measure under my consensus. Nobody wants their MP piggy bank to be drained.

End of story. to summarize, only one department can resolve these kinds of issues and it sucks that there is not phone number to call. At the end of the day you have to play the email rulette and wait for them to get to you.

Cheers for the people that actually tried to help rather than infer actions that were never remotely mentioned in my description.
Great update. Glad it all worked out. Sounds like you have full access to your account again. ^
It does seem that United should have better directed you during all those interactions with the premiere desk...
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
read the thread again... someone did imply it pretty explicitly

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I don't think ANYONE said he is in violation of the T&C.

They are saying United thinks he is in violation of the T&C

United, generally doesn't lock someone account for S&G, they generally have a reason. Then they investigate to either prove or disprove that reason and take appropriate action from there

Either way, the account is locked and until they get good and ready to look at it, you have to sit tight and wait.
Silver Fox, wrp96 and jinglish like this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Yes the upgrades were of 15k for 2 passengers...
Glad account access got restored. Did you also get the miles back?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
It's advisable to put messages in the message field, not the title field.
canadiancow and jinglish like this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by narvik
Glad account access got restored. Did you also get the miles back?
Yea all 30k miles were redeposited no questions asked.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks OP for updating us the results. Interesting...I am curious that...

Did the agent who processed the RPU somehow upgraded these 2 passengers by mistake? Did the agent forget to "logout" of OP's account?

Also, it seems UA's process is somewhat broken that agents keep a "hands-off" attitude (probably with a hint of suspicion on the victim) when this happens and left the victim to struggle on their own?
Silver Fox and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, MileagePlus Gold
Update,

Great to hear! I’m sorry you had to go through that . . . and that much of the feedback you got on this thread consisted of accusations that you were engaging in fraud.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Curious: Is this the first instance of someone coming to FT with an issue with a frozen MP account, where it is a legitimate mistake?
Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
Curious: Is this the first instance of someone coming to FT with an issue with a frozen MP account, where it is a legitimate mistake?
Not sure. But I am pretty sure this isn’t the first time I read a report here where a customer’s account was accidentally used to upgrade/book an award for a subsequent caller.
wrp96, Often1, IndyHoosier and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.