Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO-SIN Route Performance

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
If I had to guess the likelihood of this happening is low due to the ANA JV. Off the top of my head, I can only think of DPS as a notable hole in the ANA SE Asia network. Where UA and SQ should partner up is secondary Indian cities - apologies if we are saying the same thing but I think of India as a separate region from SE Asia.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Agree on codesharing on SQ’s Southeast Asia flights!
Originally Posted by Kacee
Now if only they would do some serious codesharing with SQ . . . .
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by entropy
but in general, SIN has historically been hard to get to due to how darn far away it is, the longer range (and more efficient) aircraft help that. Given there is a strong financial sector as well as high tech and research there, its not too surprising, but nice to see of course!
and it is a gateway to the large & growing Indonesian market.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 764toHI
If I had to guess the likelihood of this happening is low due to the ANA JV. Off the top of my head, I can only think of DPS as a notable hole in the ANA SE Asia network.
I don't disagree from UA's perspective, but from the passenger's perspective, SIN is an attractive connection point for most of SE Asia. And NH's use of regional aircraft on many routes longer than 5 hours is a big negative. The timing of the TYO flights is also an issue - if you're going to SE Asia, you get a late night arrival (from the US), and an early morning departure (back to US). While that works for some, others (including me) prefer the opposite.

As a practical matter, UA not codesharing with SQ can be the difference between flying UA or choosing another carrier (e.g., SQ, CX, or BR) that offers more attractive options to SE Asia. That's been my story this year.
764toHI and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by Kacee; Oct 4, 2018 at 12:40 pm
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
I don't disagree from UA's perspective, but from the passenger's perspective, SIN is an attractive connection point for most of SE Asia. And NH's use of regional aircraft on many routes is a big negative. The timing of the TYO flights is also an issue - if you're going to SE Asia, you get a late night arrival (from the US), and an early morning departure (back to US). While that works for some, others (including me) prefer the opposite.
Completely agree with this.

I've started taking a lot more risky UA + BR connections in TPE for this very reason. Even though it's a separate ticket, and I run the connection risk, it's USUALLY ok, and I can get to many SEAsia destinations a few hours earlier than via TYO. When that's the difference between getting to my hotel at 11pm or midnight, versus 1 or 2am, it's a fairly significant difference indeed!
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:26 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Singapore is a great layover, too. Perfect city for a day and a half.

UA will do even better on this route when it has Polaris seats on the 789.
Now if only they would do some serious codesharing with SQ . . . .
They just don't play well together @:-)

There's a reason why SQ's codeshares in US are on AS and not UA
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
They just don't play well together @:-)

There's a reason why SQ's codeshares in US are on AS and not UA
Actually, SQ codeshares with UA on some domestic flights now (and possibly with B6 also? I seem to remember that). So, here's hoping the relationship is thawing. (The codeshares are ex-IAH, which is probably why they picked UA, but, still, baby steps.

Still, between UA preferring to put people on NH and SQ preferring to have people fly SQ metal TPAC, it's hard for me to see there being a huge market for UA codeshares on short-haul SQ flights (or for UA fares that allow the use of those same SQ flights; the codeshare isn't really necessary).
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
I don't disagree from UA's perspective, but from the passenger's perspective, SIN is an attractive connection point for most of SE Asia. And NH's use of regional aircraft on many routes longer than 5 hours is a big negative. The timing of the TYO flights is also an issue - if you're going to SE Asia, you get a late night arrival (from the US), and an early morning departure (back to US). While that works for some, others (including me) prefer the opposite.

As a practical matter, UA not codesharing with SQ can be the difference between flying UA or choosing another carrier (e.g., SQ, CX, or BR) that offers more attractive options to SE Asia. That's been my story this year.
I had read somewhere that NH is scheduled to receive a handful of new 777-300ERs, 787-9s, and 787-10s in 2019. I believe the 777-200s are all being phased out and the 767-300ERs are being relegated to domestic duty. The A380s entering HNL service in Spring should free up more Dreamliners as well. Hopefully this all results in a positive change for flights to SEA.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by spin88
There is a hell of a lot of high tech/bio-tech traffic between the bay area and SIN, and I don't doubt that UA can run a very profitable flight on this route. However, as SQ continues to fly more comfortable aircraft (A350 with PE and better Y and J seats) and as it adds this very month (October) flights to LAX and EWR, and ups its flights ex-SFO to 10x week (27 total from the three airports) it will clearly impact UA's bottom line.

UA is able to pull traffic via SFO because their is no other good one stop service to SIN from most other cities, but SQ will provide direct competition via two gate ways on the west coast, and will provide a vastly superior experience ex-NYC area. Some if not most of the high value traffic from the East (BOS/NYC, etc) that UA is currently getting for the SFO-SIN flight will go away.

It will be interesting to see if UA cuts back to a daily flight (from two) as SQ ramps up its expanded service with better soft and hard product.
If UA retreats and reverts to one daily flight, it will free up an aircraft for SFO/LAX-BKK.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
Still, between UA preferring to put people on NH and SQ preferring to have people fly SQ metal TPAC, it's hard for me to see there being a huge market for UA codeshares on short-haul SQ flights (or for UA fares that allow the use of those same SQ flights; the codeshare isn't really necessary).
I think there's a business case on both sides - UA would pick up business that would otherwise fly other carriers TPAC, while SQ would pick up connecting traffic that would otherwise route through TYO on NH.

Not saying it will happen. The comment which sparked this discussion was aspirational, not predictive.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
There will be 13 additional 787-9 scheduled to be delivered to UA from 2020 onwards.

Originally Posted by SS255

If UA retreats and reverts to one daily flight, it will free up an aircraft for SFO/LAX-BKK.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 764toHI
There will be 13 additional 787-9 scheduled to be delivered to UA from 2020 onwards.
Kind of curious to see how these get deployed - it doesn't seem like it will be quite in the window for the older 772 retirements, but 789 is too much plane for the routes plied by 763/764. I hope there are some new routes ^, although I'm sure part of it depends on the price of oil / distillates when they get delivered.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
789 is too much plane for the routes plied by 763/764
I'm not sure what that means. They are very close (esp 764) in seating capacity. While 789 has greater range, it's also an efficient aircraft and need not be used on ultra-long haul to be profitable. Other airlines (e.g., NH) are using it for medium range flights. (And UA already uses it on some of the 5-6k mile routes that can also be flown by 763/4).
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:04 pm

Yikes! Looking to travel SFO-SIN Dec 15th - Jan 6th. The lowest fare on the non stop flight is approx $7.5k (the other option is $10k).

Don't recall it being this high in previous years(s).
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I think there's a business case on both sides - UA would pick up business that would otherwise fly other carriers TPAC, while SQ would pick up connecting traffic that would otherwise route through TYO on NH.

Not saying it will happen. The comment which sparked this discussion was aspirational, not predictive.
I just don't see the business case for SQ to code share with UA in a major way (other than at a hub with no options). There is no steam of traffic that UA is going to feed into SIN that SQ can't already carry. No new markets open up for them that AS/B6 does not offer them. All UA would do would be to put someone into a SQ regional/shorter range flight off the long UA SFO-SIN flight, which (a) has lower profits, and (b) SQ could sell to directly. And given that UA has an incentive to route the traffic via the ANA JV, the rates that UA is going to give is not going to be favorable. The result is not much of a market, and one that would be cannibalizing from sales that SQ might otherwise get on own metal on the head to head SFO-SIN flights (or off the new new EWR/LAX flights).

And on the other end, SQ has no shortage of options (except at IAH, where they do code share) which is happy to take the feed and evidently offer a better deal than UA is.

If SQ were to fly into DEN or into ORD, Then i would expect them to code share, but not ex-SFO.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
And given that UA has an incentive to route the traffic via the ANA JV, the rates that UA is going to give is not going to be favorable.
To add to that, there would need to be reciprocal code sharing on SQ for beyond SIN markets. By far the largest of those is India (and SQ serves India well) but for United India is part of the Lufthansa JV, and LH would not take too kindly to UA pulling its feed out of (mostly) FRA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.