Community
Wiki Posts
Search

posting miles - why the delay?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Before the merger, my flights always posted immediately. At some point after the merger, this changed to 2 days after. I remember noticing the change. Is it possible that they feel that there needs to be some time for any issues to be resolved prior to posting? I'm sure they could post immediately if they wanted. If I buy something using MileagePlusX, the points post immediately. Funny that it takes longer for flights to post than for some other mileage earning methods.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
And yet they manage to send out the post-flight survey almost immediately - assuming of course the flight was normal, when UA messes up I never get a survey.
Halo117 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
I'm not sure whether to believe it or not, as no hard evidence was forthcoming, but a former-CO employee once told me that there was all kinds of reconciliation that needed to happen between the ticket and the PNR. Basically, that the mileage system DIDN'T know whether you'd actually flown a flight or not, until the ticket was reconciled. The only live processing happened on the PNRs, and you could be booked on multiple simultaneous flights on a PNR, which didn't actually reflect which segments you were going to fly. Tickets were all handled in batches, and some processes only ran once per day.

It sounded plausible at the time, since this was at the HEIGHT of the whole "Your reservation has changed..." de-sync problems requiring ticket re-syncs. I have no idea how the internals actually work, and how they reconcile the actual tickets, as opposed to just looking at the PNR data. *shrug*
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
pmUA would sometimes post before my flight even landed.

pmCO posted about what you see now. Obviously, as many have mentioned, because the current UA is using pmCO technology.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:22 pm

It’s the same for status changes. The delay provides UA additional earnings by way of those achieving status mid trip and accounts not reflecting status until return flight completed. Just another UA benefit. AA updates miles right away.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by shadesupordown
It’s the same for status changes. The delay provides UA additional earnings by way of those achieving status mid trip and accounts not reflecting status until return flight completed. Just another UA benefit. AA updates miles right away.
sorry, UA doesn’t get any ‘additional earnings’ when status changes are posted at the completion of a trip. Mileage for all flights after the one you earned the status are retroactively updated to correctly correspond to the new status. I seem to recall it happening simultaneously when the updated status posts.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH FT, Marriott Plat, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PPlus
Remembered this thread: I was on LH flying from FRA to JFK and arrived just beofre 8pm. Miles and everything posted at 930am the next day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.