Community
Wiki Posts
Search

posting miles - why the delay?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
posting miles - why the delay?

I'm guessing it has to do with legacy airline systems, but i'm curious why in 2018 it takes DAYS for United to post to mileage plus for a flight completed?

Granted, i work in tech and cloud and all that blah blah, but seriously - once you're on a plane and the door closes their systems KNOW this, so assuming the plane reaches the destination airport (also known once wheels down) crediting the miles for the flight should be essentially instantaneous.

What gives?
drewguy likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Good question . . . other airlines seem to manage credit by the end of the day of the flight if not sooner.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
DL supposedly does this (I rarely fly them, and as such, don't generally check right away). Don't know about other carriers, except for Aeroplan, which definitely never credited instantly either.

I'd guess it's a conscious decision to have the mileage posting delayed. Why is an open question, and it's just a guess.

UA also, IME, likes to batch things, and based on reports that mileage tends to post at a specific time during the day (I can't recall the thread(s) that talk about this, but I definitely remember seeing them), that would be a reason why it doesn't instantly post. Interestingly enough, my TravelBank credit posted a day before (at least) mileage on my last trip - I don;'t recall seeing that before.

If I had to guess on why they delay, it's possible it gives the system a chance to verify data. I'm not talking about that you actually took the flight - as mentioned, they know this instantly. I'm talking about a chance for the system to ensure it is posting the right mileage - by class paid vs. class flown, for example, which can be different in a number of different scenarios - IRROPS, upgrades, buy-ups, etc.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
What intrigues me is what the process is from knowing that I flew a flight, to posting my miles. If it were automated, then, unless they built in a xx hour delay, they would post immediately. If they built in a xx hour delay, then they would post reliably xx hours after the flight. But they post a random time later, which suggests that some individual somewhere has to get round to running a process. That's a redundant job if ever I saw one.
mr8 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Before the merger I found my miles posted very often the same day as the flight. I would therefore presume it is the wonderful software which came with the merger.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Legacy systems from PMCO, batch processes, no financial incentive to improve.
brp1264 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mduell
Legacy systems from PMCO, batch processes, no financial incentive to improve.
Yeah it's the same answer for processing upgrades. They have to run sweeps.

They have moved up the timing recently . . . used to be around 1 pm Houston time two days after the flight, now somewhere around 12 hours earlier than that.

DL I will often see the flight credit while I'm at baggage claim (which is never a long wait with them . . . the bags often beat me to the carousel).
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
In my experience, posting for UA flights has been very, very consistent. It’s always two days after the flight, usually right at the 48 hour mark.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
They have moved up the timing recently . . . used to be around 1 pm Houston time two days after the flight, now somewhere around 12 hours earlier than that.
Agreed. Oddly, recently I've noticed my connecting flights will post at different times. I'll notice an unexpected value and go into the activity log to find that one leg has posted but not the other one. (It doesn't always seem to be the earliest flight first, either). A couple of hours later, they're both present.

Originally Posted by zrs70
In my experience, posting for UA flights has been very, very consistent. It’s always two days after the flight, usually right at the 48 hour mark.
That's not my experience at all. Mine's closer to Kacee's; they used to post around 1 PM CT on the second calendar day after departure, and now they're posting sometime earlier that day. Perhaps your flights often depart around 1 PM CT?

Originally Posted by corbetti
Granted, i work in tech and cloud and all that blah blah
I'm guessing your job doesn't involve hooking together legacy systems.

It's not that MileagePlus can't be updated in real time; it absolutely can (and is, by systems that choose to do so, like the MileagePlus X app). It's that the backend flight audit systems seem to feed data in batches after whatever end-of-day validation is needed.

Out of all of the things I'd like to see United IT spending its time on, faster MileagePlus postings is near the bottom of the list.
Kacee likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Some years ago I had a situation where I was booked LHR-YYZ-ORD on AC (ticketed on 016 stock), but due to bad winter WX at YYZ and the risk of delays and I called and had my iternary changed to LHR-ORD on UA . About a week went by without my miles/PQM/PQD posting so I called the 1k line and asked about the delay in the credit. She looked into it and discovered a new PNR was created (on top of another PNR from a change on the outbound!) and the system didn't automatically close out the ticket. According to her ticket closeout happens automatically at approx 24 hrs after the segment, with the flight credit to show in FF accounts within the next business day. I've kept that timeline in mind since then and have noticed credit generally follows that pattern.

I also fly AA extensively and I've had flight credit show as soon as 12-15 hrs after the segment. Different airlines, different software. As long as the credit is correct then it's all good by me.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
Thanks!

Great discussion and very helpful. Thanks everyone!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
Agreed. Oddly, recently I've noticed my connecting flights will post at different times. I'll notice an unexpected value and go into the activity log to find that one leg has posted but not the other one. (It doesn't always seem to be the earliest flight first, either). A couple of hours later, they're both present.
It seems to me that my UAX flights post after my UA flights even though usually on the outbound I take the UAX flight first. On the last trip, it took half a day longer to post the UAX one.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: CO Gold
the funny part is when I fly for example UA-UA-LH ........and then the miles from LH post 24 or 36 hrs ahead of the ones from UA
brp1264 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by wolfie_cr
the funny part is when I fly for example UA-UA-LH ........and then the miles from LH post 24 or 36 hrs ahead of the ones from UA
This is also my experience. LH will post faster than UA, but only when it is 016.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wolfie_cr
My flights on OS and EW also post faster than flights on UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.