Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Power Outlets... why United requires devices to be unplugged?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Power Outlets... why United requires devices to be unplugged?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AS also requires devices to be unplugged for takeoff and landing.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Also of note....

The chargers must be unplugged from the outlet, not from the iphone/ computer/ etc. In other words, you can't leave the club in the outlet, even if it's not plugged into the unit.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I've also heard the tripping concern, but if so, wouldn't that also necessitate that headphones be unplugged also when the seatback screens have the headphone jack integrated?
I've actually seen FA request headphones be unplugged a couple of times.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA MP
United's safety preference I'd presume, doesn't have to be anything "official"
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I don't think that UA is "afraid" of anything. It is simply a common-sense safety precaution in case an evacuation is required. Thus, in UA' safety & security policy filed with FAA.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I think the bigger issue is how bad Uniteds power outlets are. 75% of the time, I can't even get my simple apple cube to plug in, the outlets are just so weak. My cube sits at like a 30 degree angle because it can't stay in. The other 20% of the time I have to unplug and replug until my light stays green (also, why does hitting that little button that sticks out turn my connection red?). The other 5% seems to be okay.

I seem to have better luck with 3 prong cables.
BearX220, demkr and drewguy like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BThumme
I think the bigger issue is how bad Uniteds power outlets are. 75% of the time, I can't even get my simple apple cube to plug in, the outlets are just so weak. My cube sits at like a 30 degree angle because it can't stay in. The other 20% of the time I have to unplug and replug until my light stays green (also, why does hitting that little button that sticks out turn my connection red?). The other 5% seems to be okay.
Wow, that is some bad luck.

What kind of plane? Hundreds of flights, I've never had an issue charging my apple device.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Wow, that is some bad luck.

What kind of plane? Hundreds of flights, I've never had an issue charging my apple device.
Going back through my flight history, a lot of 737s. I don't usually seem to have issues when the plug is in front of me (those are mainly airbus planes I think?), only when it's under the seat i'm in.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

This was my thought. A fly landing on it would cause the plug to fall out of the outlet. How can they possibly be a tripping hazard?
BThumme likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
For what it's worth, recently flew UA ATL-EWR-CDG-IAD-ATL, and not once did any FA ask me to unplug anything at anytime.

While on China Eastern, every flight I've had with them this year (12) they require earbuds to be removed during takeoff and landing, and require everything to be unplugged. Delta doesn't require any of that and neither does Air France.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

UK plugs fit the "universal" AC plugs. They are rarely loose on domestic US planes. Get yourself a UK-US adapter. I carry one and it works like a charm.
BearX220, Xyzzy and atword like this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Catbert10
UK plugs fit the "universal" AC plugs. They are rarely loose on domestic US planes. Get yourself a UK-US adapter. I carry one and it works like a charm.
I'll keep that in mind.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:08 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Speaking about headphones, AC requires all headphones/buds etc to be removed for takeoff and landing EXCEPT Air Candad's
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Catbert10
I'll keep that in mind.
I’m flying domestic on a UA flight. The answer is to get a UK adapter? Um, that would be a no.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Weekend Away
While on China Eastern, every flight I've had with them this year (12) they require earbuds to be removed during takeoff and landing, and require everything to be unplugged.
This makes sense to me. I recall it also on a Virgin flight (or JetBlue, maybe Southwest ... one of the airlines with a little more pizzazz in their cabin crew) with a follow-on explanation that it was so that passengers could hear instructions in case of an emergency. I think, generally, reducing the number of potential trip hazards for similar reasons is prudent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.