Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rude FA tries to get Captain to deplane me for asking to make space for my carry-on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rude FA tries to get Captain to deplane me for asking to make space for my carry-on

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I was on a flight some years ago in Y. An F passenger boarding in front of me was looking for overhead F space to put his bag and noticed that someone had placed a bag in sideways. He turned the bag lengthwise, giving him room to put his bag in, then sat down. The repositioned bag's owner didn't notice. I didn't see how it played out, but what if when the FA went to close the bin, it wouldn't close, and by then there was no other space (or any backpacks in the overhead)? Who would end up getting his/her rollerboard gate-checked?
Person A is a jerk for bringing on a bag that has to go sideways. I guess I’m too considerate as my bag fits properly, even in row 1.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by COSPILOT

Person A is a jerk for bringing on a bag that has to go sideways. I guess I’m too considerate as my bag fits properly, even in row 1.
"No good deed goes unpunished."
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by jsloan
Sorry, but you're mistaken, as you'll find if you ever listen to the announcements made during boarding. What I wrote was as near a quote as I can recall.

I've heard the same announcement, or something similar, on every US airline I've ever flown. I've rarely flown narrowbodies on foreign carriers so I don't want to make a statement one way or the other there, but in the US it's ubiquitous.
You see, the problem is the perspective we bring and the lens we view this situation through.

You seem to be espousing that we should be meek sheep, only do exactly as the airline tells us, that they are always correct in how they describe things and that we aren't able to have an independent mind for ourselves.

I submit that regardless how they announce about being *able* to utilize the under seat area as storage that it is *not* a primary storage area. A person may tell me that a cot is a bed but it doesn't make it the case. It may function like it but it isn't really it.

Consumers and companies have a relationship that is fundamentally at odds. I don't want my feet cramped from not being able to put them under the seat in front of me. I'm not going to put things under that seat in front of me. I will store it in the overhead compartment.

I care enough about this that I am usually first in line of my boarding segment. I often get 1st to minimize dealing with this.

To assert that under the seat is your primary storage area is ridiculous in the ears of most travelers - regardless of what the airline may try to announce over head.
User Name likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:08 pm

This thread has every type of passenger I encounter on UA flights. Interesting to see the rationale behind some of the actions around baggage I commonly see. I typically travel with a small briefcase and check my suitcase. Unless I get stuck in E-, I typically put the bag under my seat and will then look for open bin space around me near the end of boarding to store it if space is available. In E-, I will put the bag up right away considering the limited leg room, but will put it back under my seat if requested by an FA (as has happened). I consider that a small act toward a plane where passengers consider each other.

Originally Posted by jimmc66
On the rare occasion I need to have some kind of discussion with an FA about a problem, I turn my iPhone on to "record" and leave it in my pocket to protect myself. Advice I give to everyone these days.
Keep in mind that in some states, recording another party without their consent or knowledge when they would otherwise have an expectation of privacy is a crime. On an commercial airliner, you're probably in the clear, but elsewhere you may not be.
rhwbullhead likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by prometa
This thread has every type of passenger I encounter on UA flights. Interesting to see the rationale behind some of the actions around baggage I commonly see. I typically travel with a small briefcase and check my suitcase. Unless I get stuck in E-, I typically put the bag under my seat and will then look for open bin space around me near the end of boarding to store it if space is available. In E-, I will put the bag up right away considering the limited leg room, but will put it back under my seat if requested by an FA (as has happened). I consider that a small act toward a plane where passengers consider each other.

Keep in mind that in some states recording another party without their consent or knowledge is a crime.
I always put my backpack under the seat because I appreciate it when others have done the same and left me overhead space for my rollaboard, especially when I am late boarding.
Most of us business travelers have suffered "the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" and appreciate any action by others or the airline that smoothes our path towards our destination and obligations.
jsloan, wrp96 and Collierkr like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
"Once you find your seat on board, place your larger carry-on baggage in the overhead compartment above your row and your smaller personal item under the seat in front of you, which helps everybody have space to store their bags."

I suppose you could make an argument that 'smaller' and 'larger' are making a comparison to the average size of all bags, but that seems like a stretch. Your largest item can go in the overhead, even if it is smaller than the maximum allowed carry-on size. The phrasing really doesn't imply that the under-seat storage should be your primary storage space. It's more of an appeal to only stow one item in the overheads.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:07 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Thankfully the passenger seated behind you spoke up to defend you. I'm sure this is the only reason the FA relented, as they realised that should it go further, there was a (presumably) independent witness and the FA would not have a leg to stand on.
I would now be inclined to pursue the FA for threatening you.
sharmaintl and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by jimmc66
You're fortunate you had someone with some cajones (man OR woman) who spoke up on your behalf. On the rare occasion I need to have some kind of discussion with an FA about a problem, I turn my iPhone on to "record" and leave it in my pocket to protect myself. Advice I give to everyone these days.
Better watch who you are recording. I had an instance with someone who recorded a friend of mine. I chased the guy down and would have shoved the phone down the guy’s throat if he didnt delete the video on the spot. Which he did do and walked away.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
The OP's story makes me not look forward for my next 3 flights in October in seat 1A on an E175.

But I guess that issues with luggage can happen on any airline even when flying First Class. A few years ago, we were flying in First Class on USAirways. To avoid misconnecting, my wife and I had to run the whole length of the PHL airport. We were the last passengers to board just behind a lady who was on standby. Entering the plane was delayed because there was no more space in the bins. The lady in front of us complained to the FA that she was supposed to be in First Class but they could not sit her there so had to travel coach. The FA empathized with her plight and said that she will valet gate her luggage. Hearing that, my wife asked if the FA could valet gate our rollaboard suitcases. Her answer was no. We would have to check our luggage to our final destination. Luckily for us, another FA managed to create space in the First Class bins.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I'm going to upset pretty much everyone on FT, but I think overhead bins should be removed, period. In a crash, bad landing, turbulence, etc., I'm of the belief that minimizing the hazard during said events is a good thing. When I fly in small airplanes, everything is belted down. In 19 years of flying small airplanes we hit turbulence so significant last Sunday that I hit my head so hard on the headliner of the airplane that it knocked my headset off. In fact I was positive I had not only destroyed my $1,000 Bose headset, I looked to see if I broke the headliner, with a tight seatbelt no less. Not a fan of anything that can cause harm in such an event, and I'm not convinced overhead bins are as secure as the FAA allows.
Great point but do you think loose items under seat will not fly around?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Forcing people (often with elite status) with small carry ons to give up legroom to accommodate people (often with no status) who bring large carry-ons is one the biggest flaws in airline travel. Yes I get that bin space is limited and planes need to push back on time but they need to find a solution for this. Those last on with big bags should have them put in the hold or something.
LordHamster and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I do have respect for fellow passengers, but if someone boards and is yacking who's backpack this is, my bag is staying right in that bin. I travel with one bag, and do my best to pack that way, I paid for my ticket and it allows me to put my backpack up top. I've had a passenger take my bag from the overhead and move it, while I was sitting in the bulkhead. The excuse, it's small you can fit it under your seat.

If I see someone board last, and needs the spot, I'll put my bag under my seat, but if it's a 5 hour flight, I want my legroom that I fought hard to pack lightly.
+1

I abandoned traveling with a rollerboard years ago to avoid the very issues being highlighted within this thread. I travel with a Tom-Bihn bag that can fit everything a rollerboard can but has the option of fitting under a seat if I board late and cannot find overhead room space. But the overhead bin remains the primary storage space. If i board early and place my bad in overhead bin there is absolutely no reason why I should now force it under my seat and have a cramped leg-room simply because someone else decided to have the convenience of rolling his or her luggage (while I am carrying my heavy bag on my shoulder) and yet boards late and thinks he or she merits the overhead compartment more than I do. When I board late, I simply put my big bag under the seat. When OP boards late, he should be prepared to check in that big rollerboard.
LASUA1K, User Name and zymm like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Jed
Thankfully the passenger seated behind you spoke up to defend you. I'm sure this is the only reason the FA relented, as they realised that should it go further, there was a (presumably) independent witness and the FA would not have a leg to stand on.
I would now be inclined to pursue the FA for threatening you.
That is my exact point. If not for the passenger stepping in, I would have spent the night in Austin or found a circuitous route home as I was on the last direct flight. If it was limited to verbal abuse, I would have let it pass. I did not even respond to his shouting (which took immense self control, I assure you). I have seen enough FAs get upset with passengers for less. I do not think anything I did or said warranted being threatened with removal. That is the only reason I am even pursuing this with United. I do not wish to end the FAs career. I am sure he was just having a bad day. I did not cause it. It gave him no right to act the way he did and call the Captain. Quite frankly I felt sorry for the Captain. I am sure he does not take deplaning a passenger lightly.

No passenger deserves such treatment on any airline.
MSPeconomist and zymm like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Meola10

Better watch who you are recording. I had an instance with someone who recorded a friend of mine. I chased the guy down and would have shoved the phone down the guy’s throat if he didnt delete the video on the spot. Which he did do and walked away.
I sincerely hope that this is internet bravado and not a true story. You are essentially admitting to assault, which is not tolerated in any state of the union. Furthermore, cornering someone and threatening them can lead to immediate or long-term consequences.

Back on topic, recording such confrontations (in public spaces like this) can be a very good tool to protect one's rights by documenting abuse. Worked out quite well in Dr. Dao's case and countless others.
rhwbullhead and chavala like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by zymm
"Once you find your seat on board, place your larger carry-on baggage in the overhead compartment above your row and your smaller personal item under the seat in front of you, which helps everybody have space to store their bags."

I suppose you could make an argument that 'smaller' and 'larger' are making a comparison to the average size of all bags, but that seems like a stretch. Your largest item can go in the overhead, even if it is smaller than the maximum allowed carry-on size. The phrasing really doesn't imply that the under-seat storage should be your primary storage space. It's more of an appeal to only stow one item in the overheads.
My backpack is not my personal item. A personal item is a purse, snack or some other type of bag. My primary carry on is my backpack, and it has every right to go in the overhead, just as a roller carry on. I choose to get my laptop, Ipad and 3 days worth of clothes in one backpack. It's my right to put that bag in the overhead. Someone boarding and basically requesting the FA's to move someone else backpack is just wrong. FA's also can't touch a bag, insurance will not cover them if they get injured moving someone else's bag. If the OP asked and no one replied, they should've just moved on and found a spot, but they chose to make the FA get involved, and got disappointed when they didn't do what they wanted.

FA's are easy targets these days, and especially United Airlines Employee's. The Captain was smart to know that people had the camera phones lined up and ready to post it on youtube, and chose to make the OP feel better and give in, instead of losing his or her job by some youtube video.
LordHamster and User Name like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.