Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flights to NRT

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Flights to NRT

I have 2 options, STL-ORD-NRT or STL-DEN-NRT. Both have about the same layover. ORD 3:27 and DEN 2.56. Of the two, which is the easier transition from domestic to international terminals/gates? PAX is traveling alone and is not a seasoned traveler, so ease of transition is most important.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by dwsebert
I have 2 options, STL-ORD-NRT or STL-DEN-NRT. Both have about the same layover. ORD 3:27 and DEN 2.56. Of the two, which is the easier transition from domestic to international terminals/gates? PAX is traveling alone and is not a seasoned traveler, so ease of transition is most important.
what time of year? What class of service? And is the routing on the return the same?

all things considered, for the outbound, both are fine. If the passenger is in business, Ord will be the better experience because of the polaris lounge.

On the return den is an easier connecting airport.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
If the whole itinerary is on United, ORD is very easy to do the connection domestic to international. The STL flights usually arrive in Terminal 1 (Concourses B or C). The NRT flight usually leaves from Terminal 1 Concourse C. Less than 10 minutes walk from Concourses B to C and less than that if both flights are in Concourse C.

I don't really know DEN so let someone else chime in.

Question: Will there be a return flight?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:15 am
Original Poster

leaving on 10/17/2018 - Economy Ticket. Same route for return. The PAX has Admirals Club pass available in needed. Just couldn't find decent price on OW flights so going with United/ANA.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
They are both very easy to transit. The STL-DEN/ORD will both land in the domestic terminal. In the case of ORD, the STL flight might land in terminal E/F, which is a longer transit to B/C. The STL-DEN will land in terminal B and the DEN-NRT will also depart from B, so very easy. That said, if the passenger is traveling in J, then going through ORD with access to the Polaris Lounge is a no brainer. If traveling in Y, the clubs on the B concourse are very good, especially compared to DEN. They will require either a one-day pass or being *G for access.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
leaving on 10/17/2018 - Economy Ticket. Same route for return. The PAX has Admirals Club pass available in needed. Just couldn't find decent price on OW flights so going with United/ANA.
Correcting myself as it seems the ANA flight leaves from ORD Terminal 1 so it's easy.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
It doesn't get much easier than a UA to UA connection at DEN, and weather is generally better in Denver versus Chicago. DEN has better access to an Admirals Club, too (centerpoint of A concourse) via train as opposed to a long walk at ORD.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 11:41 am

For an unexperiences traveler, DEN is indeed a very easy airport to connect. Clear ways, signage without crazy terminal designes and walkways between terminals.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
DEN is better choice
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
DEN is one of the best airports to connect at. Additionally, there is an Admirals Club in Concourse A, which is just a short train ride away. DEN is the better choice.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:35 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
+5 (did I count right?)

I find Denver much calmer to connect than Chicago, and if inexperienced flier, I'd stick with all UA. Plus for a non frequent flier the DreamLiner would / could be a novelty (flew this in October BTW, though in Biz originating at YVR).
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I would echo the vote for DEN. Just came through ORD (from LHR) a couple of weeks ago and, even as an experienced traveler, the connection was confusing. That may have been because we needed to catch the Sky Train and then go back through security.
jonisflying likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
+100 for Denver, especially with the train out of service at ORD. When I picked up @CMK10 from ORD a few weeks ago, the traffic and lines to wait for a bus from T1>T5 and v.v. looked bad. Can't imagine what it's like during a heavy international arrivals bank. DEN, you'll simply exit the FIS and walk maybe 20' to the entrance to the checkpoint.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
DEN for several reasons. Better handling of weather conditions. Better access to Admiral’s club. Especially if no status and in self loading cattle class.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Given what the OP ha said, DEN, no question. Easy access to Admiral's club, airport tends to be less crowded (YMMV), airport is very very well signposted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.