Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What benefits do you wish MP offered

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:13 am
smn

Credit back on MP Credit Card spend on United ancillary purchase. I.e.
Silver - $100 / yr
Gold - $250 / yr
Plat - $500 / yr
1K - $1000 / yr

Automatically credited back to your MP Card (ala CSR $300 travel credits) for purchases such as - Upgrades, Club Passes, Wifi, In-Flight Food, Baggage (where applicable), etc. Would basically allow for giving some benefits at a fixed cost to UA and let people decide how to spend them.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
work out closer relationships with e.g. AC with reciprocal upgrades, like DL does with AM. Expand the use of GPUs to all JV partners, in particular LX since that should be a piece of cake with the LH system already in place.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by J.Edward
UA (and AA / DL to be fair) do not mind giving away an otherwise spoiled seat to an upgrade/employee. It's just they cannot do so at the expense of a paid customer.
A loyalty program has a cost and a balance. It SHOULD be designed to reward their existing customers keeping them from leaving and entice new customers. The airline obviously wants to do this at the lowest price so there is a balance and they draw a line somewhere. Saying that upgrades cannot come at the cost of a paid customer is an arbitrary line and UA crosses this line every day by offering upgrades on some flights at booking. They THINK they won't sell the seat but if they wanted to make sure they never "give away" a seat at the expense of a paid customer, they'd do all the upgrades at the gate or only offer OpUps. In fact, they sometimes lose paid customers that way too, if they wanted to make sure, they'd do it after boarding has closed.

Some people/executives who look only at the short term think they can increase revenues by just completely cutting the loyalty program but in the long term a loyalty program should generate more revenue. If you give away the upgrade or make it impossible to upgrade to sell an upgrade for TOD, is that TOD worth the potential future revenue that you are losing from your loyal customer? On the other hand, is that loyal customer really going to leave because they lost one upgrade? or 10 upgrades? or 50 upgrades? It's hard to tell. I'm sure there a line in their books for the expense of the loyalty program. I doubt there is a line in their books for how much revenue their loyalty program has earned. It is hard to quantify so it often isn't quantified at all. (I of course have no idea what UA has done) Instead, all the loyalty programs are pretty much the same making the loyalty program itself less effective.

Originally Posted by J.Edward
Yes, exactly, if this thread were about what UA "CAN" do vs a "wish list", then the thread would just be about keeping the status quo.
What I'm saying is if you step away from what "I WISH UA would do" and work from the perspective of "what CAN UA do given the constraints they must operate under" you'll come to more realistic conclusions.
The name of this thread is "What benfits do you wish MP offered?" That is what I put, a wish, not what UA is "willing" to do. Which is ofcourse different that what constraints UA "can" and "must" operate under. We all understand what UA is willing to do but that isnt what this thread is about.

My previous statement was really more about the way they advertise the benefit and some previous comments from UA. UA tries to say each GPU is worth thousands of dollars (as if you would have bought the J seat otherwise or they are giving up a seat they would have otherwise sold to someone else). Yet on the other hand, like you say, UA only opens up inventory for seats they think they will not sell so if you use that logic, the cost is $0. They forget about the $12K+ of business we give them, the economy fare you bought, the "copay" (W fare), and the empty seat in Y they can now fill for otherwise "lost revenue". Completely discounting loyalty, there are probably some cases a GPU upgrade actually earns them more revenue, that's why they do OpUps and now you've used up a GPU. Instead, they have zero R availability on some flights, near zero on others, and make it ridiculously tedious to attempt to find any using the website forcing one to be extremely flexible with dates and connection points or just play the lottery. From my view, the consumer, it looks like they are trying to have it both ways.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, HH-Gold, MR - Gold, HY-Explorist
In the realm of the possible.
1) Allow choosing 2 food items instead of 1 BOB and 1 alcohol drink for 1K in coach. Shouldn't cost much more and for those of us who don't drink (or can't on work trips), would allow for an extra snack.
2) Make GPU usage for <W fares possible with a cash copay set at the difference between the fare booked and W fare on the day the GPU is waitlisted paid at the time that the GPU clears. This would make me more willing to try to use my GPUs without worrying that I am wasting money on a W fare with a low probability of getting upgraded. Likewise, it increases my willingness to book United metal over booking a PE seat on a partner airline which is a guaranteed improvement over a UA E+ seat.
3) Keep credit card boarding after all Premier boarding. Group 2 is just too darn many creating gate congestion, especially for the gates that are still Groups 1/2 in one line.
4) Give Gold (Plats?) and up access to United Club or Polaris customer agents (not the whole club) in cases of IRROPs or need for flight changes for stations that do not have Premier Access lines at Customer Service centers behind security.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
-Option to waive PQD requirement if a much higher mileage threshold is reached (150k or so).
-Upgrades based on time of booking, not fare paid within your class
-If the miles flown is > then current earned awards miles (base fare x status), you earn the miles flown as RDM
Old Sep 5, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
MM'ers (who are at least Gold by default) should be allowed to board with Group 1. Having to queue up In Group 2 with the masses of people who sneaked in with a cheap credit card is demeaning.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by elitefreak
MM'ers (who are at least Gold by default) should be allowed to board with Group 1. Having to queue up In Group 2 with the masses of people who sneaked in with a cheap credit card is demeaning.
GOT MY WISH! Albeit, all Golds are now in BG1, but as a lifetime *G MM'er, I'll take it gladly.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Rollover PQM. With spend waivers I can make enough for Platinum Premier but I'll never have the PQD for 1K. It would be nice to start the next year with some excess PQM like Delta lets me do. Once I have my requalifications in the bag I'm more likely to divert dollars to Delta because of that.
exerda likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:00 pm

A new tier beyond 1K for those of us who double or triple 1K requirements but don’t hit GS. Add benefits like more flexibility on SDC, for example ability to SDC if there is a partner flight on the itinerary that does not need to be changed. I fly DEN-LAX-NRT-MNL monthly and the DEN-NRT flight regularly has seats for me but I can’t switch to it because I am on ANA NRT-MNL. The same ANA flight I would be on regardless
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by shawnjeck
.... Add benefits like more flexibility on SDC, for example ability to SDC if there is a partner flight on the itinerary that does not need to be changed. ....
Not going to happen because that would require to revalidate the ticket with the partner and the partner is under no obligation to accept that (at least at the old price). Even GS today does not have that benefit.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I'd like some way to do mileage or certificate upgrades on advance purchases with substantial J cabin availability instead of playing the waitlist lottery game. Most of my long haul travel is for vacations which are booked well ahead of time but in order to buy travel insurance, I have to get the flights booked and there's almost never any J availability when I'm looking.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:32 pm

None of this will happen until DL starts doing it first.
elitefreak likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would like for the app to offer expert mode in flight search results.

Note: one must have an account with MP to enable expert mode, so I believe this would count as a benefit of MP.
drewguy, Artpen100 and 8MiHi like this.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by asquare
In the realm of the possible.
1) Allow choosing 2 food items instead of 1 BOB and 1 alcohol drink for 1K in coach. Shouldn't cost much more and for those of us who don't drink (or can't on work trips), would allow for an extra snack..
Allow drink coupons given to Plat/1K/GS to be used for food as well (although I suppose given current program this is a benefit only to Plat and family members of 1K/GS).

CPUs on award tickets even if not purchased with credit card. Priority can be behind all paid fare classes . . .
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Use all miles or cash only for international upgrades. . No change fees (in dates) for premier members for award tickets made more than 21 days in advance. Allowing usage of United cash certificates for ticket changes for premier members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.