Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Dog running through the cabin

Aug 24, UA 1526, EWR-SFO.

I'm in 4B, ahead of the mid galley.

A dog ran up. A flight attendant was chasing it.

It jumped on 4E. He was fully reclined, and presumably asleep. He was not impressed, but reacted much more calmly than I likely would have (though I have a mild fear of dogs).

What exactly is the pet policy on United?

I assume it's not a service animal, given its lack of any training.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Just be thankful it was not my therapy elephant..........
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
...What exactly is the pet policy on United?...
Easily obtainable at united.com. Should obviously not be running loose.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l/animals.html
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Easily obtainable at united.com. Should obviously not be running loose.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...l/animals.html
I appreciate the link, though I was being a little facetious there.

I'm quite aware this is not permitted.

If the dog had preferred B over E, the whole forward cabin would be awake.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:04 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold

I assume it's not a service animal, given its lack of any training.
Really? Sounds exactly like an "emotional support" animal! I bet the dog even had a certificate and a little card with the name on it.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by gene2632
Just be thankful it was not my therapy elephant..........
Had this been on my flight my emotional support crocodile would have dealt with it snappily and quickly!

On a serious note, has UA (or DL or AA for that matter) given any info on whether their new policy has resulted in a fall in ESAs traveling on their flights?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Still beats having an obnoxious kid sit next to you on a 14 hour flight while the dad sits in business class
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Originally Posted by steveo
Still beats having an obnoxious kid sit next to you on a 14 hour flight while the dad sits in business class
Or an obnoxious dad who spends most of the EWR-LAS flight yelling at his kid who is in your window seat....while mom is a row in front playing paper dolls with the kids sweet sister. ...

The reality is a lot of people abused the whole Service/Support Animal thing so now this stuff is happening
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by gene2632
The reality is a lot of people abused the whole Service/Support Animal thing so now this stuff is happening
The service animal issue is irrelevant here.

Small dogs are allowed in the cabin on UA flights, period. They are, however, supposed to stay in their carrier or kennel.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
What exactly is the pet policy on United?
I guess, they're just happy the dog arrive alive in SFO.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by COUnited
...Small dogs are allowed in the cabin on UA flights, period. They are, however, supposed to stay in their carrier or kennel.
Two weeks ago the dog in the carrier in the seat next to my son was out of the carrier for the whole flight (IAH-CLT). No one said anything to the owner. Are the owners even told these rules? I was not anywhere near the dog so was not aware of the issue until after the end of the flight.

Prior to the flight the dog had been walked round the boarding area by the owner so was aware there was a dog and ensured I was not sitting near it. I thought the dogs were supposed to be in the carriers in the boarding area but no one said anything so interested to know if this is the rule.

Then there was mayhem in the baggage area as there were two dogs not in carriers and from a different flight, as luggage for more than one flight was arriving, who took an instant dislike to each other. Noisy and a little bit scary. Think they should require pets to remain in the carriers until they leave the airport.

I suffer from allergies to animal dander so stayed away from all the dogs but that flight was a memorable dog experience from go to woe.
closecover likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
What breed was the little beast?

I'll take a dog (dog lover) any day over some DYKWIA ... hat or crying child.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Two weeks ago the dog in the carrier in the seat next to my son was out of the carrier for the whole flight (IAH-CLT). No one said anything to the owner. Are the owners even told these rules? I was not anywhere near the dog so was not aware of the issue until after the end of the flight.

Prior to the flight the dog had been walked round the boarding area by the owner so was aware there was a dog and ensured I was not sitting near it. I thought the dogs were supposed to be in the carriers in the boarding area but no one said anything so interested to know if this is the rule.

Then there was mayhem in the baggage area as there were two dogs not in carriers and from a different flight, as luggage for more than one flight was arriving, who took an instant dislike to each other. Noisy and a little bit scary. Think they should require pets to remain in the carriers until they leave the airport.

I suffer from allergies to animal dander so stayed away from all the dogs but that flight was a memorable dog experience from go to woe.
My understanding is that some airports allow pet dogs to be on leashes in the terminal while others require that the animal stay in its carrier. It's apparently a matter of local ordinances.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
They are told the rules. Enforcement is a different matter. In contrast, I was on a flight and a passenger had her small dog's head poking out of the carrier. A flight attendant passed by and informed her that the dog had to be in the carrier the entire flight and that she had to zip it partially back up. She complied.

The dog was very well behaved, no barking or interest in any other passengers whatsoever.

So I guess this is a YMMV.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
If the flight attendants would spend just a fraction of the energy they expend on their finger-wagging "we're here primarily for your safety" vitriol on the fake ESA's, this problem would stop very quickly.
closecover and eigenvector like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.