Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Relentless UA In-Flight Credit Card Pumping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Relentless UA In-Flight Credit Card Pumping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag
I, too, had flashbacks...to the USAirways days of old. I wonder how long until we start seeing ads on tray tables. Those were nasty and more often than not the corners started peeling - collecting crumbs, hair, etc..

~SAP
Thoughts exactly. The things I remember about my first "adult" flight on US (when CO VDBed me and sent me CLE-PHL-RDU) -- the tacky CC sales, the tackier traytable ad, and the male FA-turned-drill-sesrgent screaming down the asile "You WILL sit DOWN!" To some helpless pax who had the misfortune of trying to use the lav during beverage service.

None of those made me particularly excited to try flying US again -- and I fact I didn't for ~10 years until I had to (to get to ILM)... Hopefully UA can pull itself back from the ledge.

The sporatic "we have a very special offer" PAs are annoying; putting them on every flight will at least make them easier to tune out (along with the iccassinally useful/important info that FAs share, but hey... Primarially for safety right?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Primarily there for safety and $100 commission.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SAPriorityTag
I, too, had flashbacks...to the USAirways days of old. I wonder how long until we start seeing ads on tray tables. Those were nasty and more often than not the corners started peeling - collecting crumbs, hair, etc..

~SAP
100%. This crud has followed Kirby all the way from his America Worst days... thru US Scareways, to AA and now to us. Yuck.

To be fair though, the tray table ads were a pmUA thing too.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
The more I fly this airline, the more I am becoming nauseated with the lack of professionalism and the indifference shown to their customers, and it's only getting worse! Unsupervised F/A's are going to do whatever they want, anytime they want, and will immediately run to their galley nest for support, when challenged!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Miggles
I would tweet about it. Force United to defend this Flyer Unfriendly policy out in public!
I should get a Twitter account just for this purpose. 😇
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Kmxu

I should get a Twitter account just for this purpose. 😇
I don't do twitter either but looking at their feed it is the land of milk and honey so I assume that nothing inflammatory is there. But I am not a tweeter so possibly looking in the totally wrong place to see any negative feedback directed towards them. Do I have to be on twitter to see the barbed comments?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've managed to avoid it until today (with the exception of those obnoxious ads that play on the IFE) and it happened on of all things a 50 minute MLU-IAH ER4. The FA did a quick service to our 60% full flight of water and Coke (?) and then made an announcement about the credit card. After she made the announcement, she showed each person the application. I was reading my book and she poked me in the shoulder with the corner of the applications which I found incredibly rude. Even if I didn't already have both the Explorer and the Club card I wouldn't bother to respond to such tactics.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CMK10
I've managed to avoid it until today (with the exception of those obnoxious ads that play on the IFE) and it happened on of all things a 50 minute MLU-IAH ER4. The FA did a quick service to our 60% full flight of water and Coke (?) and then made an announcement about the credit card. After she made the announcement, she showed each person the application. I was reading my book and she poked me in the shoulder with the corner of the applications which I found incredibly rude. Even if I didn't already have both the Explorer and the Club card I wouldn't bother to respond to such tactics.
I'd be extremely likely to write in about that -- UA really shouldn't have flight attendants representing them assaulting/battering (in the legal sense of the words) passengers for any reason that's not related to imminent safety, let alone to shill a credit card. Both extremely rude and managing to take unprofessional to the next level. It also smacks of desperation.
jsloan, Silver Fox and chavala like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I take ORD-MKE sometimes. A 15min flight. Some FA's can get all the way down the aisle with a water service and snacks while offering GS/1K real snacks and drinks. Some can only do water. Some don't have time to do any of it. All have time to offer the credit card. (ok, maybe not ALL, but you get the idea)
Silver Fox and Dyce like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Oh come on it’s not that bad. You can ignore it just as you can ignore the pre-boarding “Personal Device Entertainment” blurb even on a flight with full AVOD. They don’t walk up the aisle and thrust the application form in peoples’ faces.

And the announcement is shorter than the “Please fasten your seatbelts” announcement in Japanese.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
Oh come on it’s not that bad. You can ignore it just as you can ignore the pre-boarding “Personal Device Entertainment” blurb even on a flight with full AVOD. They don’t walk up the aisle and thrust the application form in peoples’ faces.
I've had a couple of flights where it was really irritating, but nothing involving physical contact as the OP describes. I'd report that too, especially since it doesn't really seem to have been accidental.

For the most part, this change has been a non-event for me. I can only think of one flight where I really noticed it since the initial wave when the policy was new. I think most of the FAs hate it as much as the passengers do.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Talking

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I don't do twitter either but looking at their feed it is the land of milk and honey so I assume that nothing inflammatory is there. But I am not a tweeter so possibly looking in the totally wrong place to see any negative feedback directed towards them. Do I have to be on twitter to see the barbed comments?
Au contraire. You need to look at “Tweets & Replies.” Loaded with complaints and vitriol but a good bit from once per year type travelers. It’s always a fun time killer while in a line. I haven’t experienced the in-flight hawking as much as I notice it everywhere else...the website, the app, in airport signage, Hemispheres, etc. It’s very obnoxious but not as bad as L-US crews who pitch the AA card on every flight. In fact on one recent flight they mentioned over and over you would get 50k “Dividend Miles.”
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I thought it was just me but all my (domestic) flights in the past two months have been pushing the CC. Not to the extent of being tapped on the shoulder but annoying.

I am one of those frequent flyers who do pay attention to the safety demonstration and other briefings by the FA - cellphone, door closing, etc. However, the CC announcement is starting to make me switch off such that I entirely missed the second to last safety briefing.

If the FAs are primarily there for our safety then I think all their announcements should be safety related.

(Touting a CC does not fall within a safety announcement in my book - I may actually write this in the next survey I receive.)
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I thought it was just me but all my (domestic) flights in the past two months have been pushing the CC. Not to the extent of being tapped on the shoulder but annoying.

I am one of those frequent flyers who do pay attention to the safety demonstration and other briefings by the FA - cellphone, door closing, etc. However, the CC announcement is starting to make me switch off such that I entirely missed the second to last safety briefing.

If the FAs are primarily there for our safety then I think all their announcements should be safety related.

(Touting a CC does not fall within a safety announcement in my book - I may actually write this in the next survey I receive.)
I suspect the increased emphasis on pushing the card has something to do with cardholders getting rid of them. Need to find new sheep to fleece!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:16 am

But would you like a Hertz rental car at your destination?
findark likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.