Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Oscar and UA trashed by WSJ readers (UA refused to join AA and DL CEOs for article)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oscar and UA trashed by WSJ readers (UA refused to join AA and DL CEOs for article)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by dilanesp
It only takes 25,000 miles flown and $3,000 of fares to get to Premier. And the mileage requirement is waived if you fly enough qualifying segments. Just about any business traveler can get there. Flying bi-weekly will get you at least up to Gold actually.
Depends if you're only flying domestic - and are not allowed to book J/F. Lots of biz folks take many planes but don't go far. So, yes, segments or enough total miles. It is not as easy as those who fly international - even for Silver (go 2P!).

Back on thread. Yes, if Oscar and/or the other two would take either a transcon or international in a middle Y seat for 5 to 10 hours sitting between just 2 regular sized people much less anyone with real shoulders. That would be entertaining.

David
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
Yes, if Oscar and/or the other two would take either a transcon or international in a middle Y seat for 5 to 10 hours sitting between just 2 regular sized people much less anyone with real shoulders. That would be entertaining.
That would be even more of PR stunt than the original WSJ article. Even if they sat in the back of the plane for 10+ hours - what would you expect them to say? I'm fairly sure they wouldn't go - wow, that was really uncomfortable - we are immediately removing seats!!!! No, they would say - I feel great, but I would urge anyone who desires more legroom and space to upgrade to our premium seating.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
And they have the check-in/boarding down to a science where they get what they want.
Yeah. A lot of people deride WN's open seating, but it's the only airline I know of where an elite (A List) is pretty much guaranteed a window or aisle 100% of the time as long as they are at the gate when boarding starts (absent a massive gaggle of A-listers on a given flight). It can be a big advantage for people that book late.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Sykes
Yeah. A lot of people deride WN's open seating, but it's the only airline I know of where an elite (A List) is pretty much guaranteed a window or aisle 100% of the time as long as they are at the gate when boarding starts (absent a massive gaggle of A-listers on a given flight). It can be a big advantage for people that book late.
For a non elite with WN a last minute ticket got me A-list (A3 from memory), a free drink, and maybe even free wifi. Not bad for a nobody with WN, and not able to travel as a somebody on UA. I'm open to WN, but I prefer I keep my miles with UA for the family vacations to places WN doesn't go to. Colleagues use WN exclusively because they have spouses that are retired and the companion pass thing saves them a ton of money. I can see the appeal of that.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
It only takes 25,000 miles flown and $3,000 of fares to get to Premier. And the mileage requirement is waived if you fly enough qualifying segments. Just about any business traveler can get there. Flying bi-weekly will get you at least up to Gold actually.

And even with Silver, you get E+, boarding group 2 (so you never have to check a carryon), and separate check in and security for that amount of loyalty. And every once in awhile even an upgrade to F.

Plus the hub and spoke system gives a legacy carrier far more and usually more convenient connections.

I don't doubt some business travelers fly WN. But the claim that it is superior for a typical business traveler, even one flying mid-range flights, seems quite wrong to me.
So for boarding and carry-ons, UA offers exactly what they get with WN. And since they check in at +24, there's no need to check in at the airport. Those wins are extremely minimal. And the odds of getting an upgrade to F as a Silver are *extremely* low; I also specifically stated that top tier is the measuring stick, not bottom status. Your point about network is well taken; I agree. I never stated they were better, just that they are a good option. This isn't meant to derail, or be anti-UA or even anti-major - again, I fly UA now (primarily for Asiana status, but still). But to repeat: if you fly within their network consistently, WN provides a strong value prop for a business flyer who won't reach top tier status at an airline.

As for UA's CEO ditching this, I agree with the sentiment that it would provide no real upside. If he goes like Delta and UA, he gets lambasted for faking it for a 15 minute photo op instead of a long haul flight, plus he might say something he regrets. If he skips it, everyone forgets in the next 2 days or so. It's not like AA or Delta are suddenly going to get a lot of long-term press from this one story and photo.
am1108 likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
The entire article is all about inflammatory.

1. The detail of the interview is unknown. However, Oscar's heart condition is well-known. FWIW - his condition can be the reason of the refusal.

2. Even Oscar refused, SMI/J has traveled in E+ before.

3. If WSJ is serious about the tight seats? Go after AC like CBC.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by Darlox
While this is no question an error given that both of his major competitors participated, and creates another "kick United" opportunity, ultimately he was probably smart on this one. The American public has proven surprisingly resilient to discomfort, insult and even injury when it comes to the airline industry. Of all the things that are keeping United down, this one doesn't seem like it's going to make much of an actual blip on radar.... *sigh* As much as I do wish something would.
Speaking as a journalist, I doubt Oscar made the call to decline the sit-down interview--that looks to me like the PR department advising against it. And UA declining to speak at all is definitely PR's call and PR's screwup. UA has a decent story to tell in terms of extra-legroom availability in Y, but you wouldn't know that from the WSJ piece. I hope somebody in Chicago is now reflecting on how poorly United came across in the story because of this failure to communicate.

(Disclosure: As a journalist, I'm always in favor of companies answering journalist questions.)
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Not uncommon for companies to have a policy of not speaking to the press, unless under a controlled environment. No matter what positive things a company may have, the press rarely tells the whole story for the quick and cute 15 second video clip. Find me a reporter that tells the whole story and I'll find you the winning lotto numbers.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DCA writer
Speaking as a journalist, I doubt Oscar made the call to decline the sit-down interview--that looks to me like the PR department advising against it. And UA declining to speak at all is definitely PR's call and PR's screwup.
Except I don't think it's much of a screwup. Who but FT even remembers this article now? If Oscar had participated, the photo would be around to recirculate and the media would have twisted his words to tell whatever story they wanted anyway. Speaking as a reader who remembers when journalism was really journalism versus the out-and-out chicanery that passes for journalism today, I don't see any upside to participating in "journalist" interviews today.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by emcampbe
DL, not surprisingly, chose their 777, newly refurbed keeping 9 across in Y so presumably he could talk it. Color me unimpressed - if only that was a significant part of the DL long haul fleet. They have 18 777s - meaning it probably flies on what, 10 routes tops.
Delta clearly wins in seat width in long haul in Y. The 772 is not some exception:
UA's fleet
77w/772 - 19.4"/seat (currently 91, 1 to come, width is for 77w and ongoing retrofits)
787 - 19.8"/seat (currently 37, 18 to come)
763/4- 21.2"/seat (currently 51, 3 to come

DL's fleet (currently)
763/4 - 21.2"/seat (currently 77)
A330/330neo - 20.8"/seat (currently 42, 25 on order)
B772 - 21.3"/seat (currently 18)
A350 - 20.3" seat (currently 11, 14 in delivery)

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
(and before anyone calls out the fact that SW has 0.7" wider seats, let's keep in mind the number fudging that goes into these measurements. The seat pan and the distance from your neighbor remains the same even if the armrests shrink.)
The numbers from those (like SW or UA) with narrower planes is just bogus. The figure that matters is actual space (plane width - aisle width/# seats) which is what I put above. But even then, the 10x 777s try to cheat by taking 1" from each aisle (which is why the plane feels so cramped when you walk arround, and you get bumped so much in the aisle seats). Absent this each seat would be only 19.2" wide.

no assigned seats.
This isn't to bag on WN. It is my mother's and my brother's favorite airline. I admire what they do. But their product is just extremely different from UA, or AA or DL for that matter.
Mothers/brothers are usually ok with WN, but for any women who is reasonably attractive and under 50 without some guy/etc as a blocker the lack of assigned seating is a killer. If you wonder why there are rarely any "single" attractive women on WN, its because some perve makes a be-line sit next to them. Real turn off for some....
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: UA Plat., 1.52 MM

Instructive photo.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:16 am

The reason we put up with all that you mentioned is that there are no real alternatives. No real high-speed train service in the US means you either use the airlines, take a bus, or drive yourself. I will note that SWA has killed high speed rail initiatives in Texas at least twice. Politicians are bought, and the developers of these initiatives go find a more welcoming environment.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by spin88
If you wonder why there are rarely any "single" attractive women on WN, its because some perve makes a be-line sit next to them. Real turn off for some....
No I don't, and most non perves [sic] don't wonder why there are rarely any "single" attractive women on WN.

I'm glad the article tried to pry on seat comfort but for me the biggest issue with coach seat comfort these days is the poor padding in seats installed the last 10 years on all the airlines. That sore feeling you get after a couple hours. Extra width or legroom doesn't do anything to help that.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
Except I don't think it's much of a screwup. Who but FT even remembers this article now? If Oscar had participated, the photo would be around to recirculate and the media would have twisted his words to tell whatever story they wanted anyway. Speaking as a reader who remembers when journalism was really journalism versus the out-and-out chicanery that passes for journalism today, I don't see any upside to participating in "journalist" interviews today.
Truth!
A reporter from the New York Times approached me recently wanting an in depth interview about a current Federal case. They were so cheery and friendly as they introduced themselves and massaged my ego with complimentary statements. You wouldn't believe the transformation when I said, "I am sorry, but I don't talk to the media." The rage and indignation was over the top, demanding to know why. I told them that I had been misquoted in the past and had no intention of ever being misquoted again.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jul 27, 2018 at 8:29 am
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, AA Gold

And even with Silver, you get E+, boarding group 2 (so you never have to check a carryon), and separate check in and security for that amount of loyalty. And every once in awhile even an upgrade to F.

Plus the hub and spoke system gives a legacy carrier far more and usually more convenient connections.

I don't doubt some business travelers fly WN. But the claim that it is superior for a typical business traveler, even one flying mid-range flights, seems quite wrong to me.
Southwest has been consistently profitable through good and bad economies for a reason, and it's not a bunch of leisure travelers buying "Wanna Get Away" fares...

If you don't live near a hub, Southwest is a winner hands down - even without status - if only for the simple fact that it offers more direct flights from any non-hub than any hub-spoke airline. If you're flying mid-market to mid-market with a hub-spoke, you're probably *more* likely to find yourself with 2 connections and a higher price to boot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.