Wiki Posts
Search

Utterly Bizarre Ticket Pricing

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
Nobody really is disagreeing that the pricing is rather obscene. It's just us old-timers have seen it for decades and it was actually far more commonplace 10 or 20 years ago.
To set the record straight (and for the purpose of maybe providing some perspective) I'm one of those old-timers. I'm almost 60, and retired from a 30 year career where I traveled the world and got to the highest levels with some airlines. I remember the days of regulated fares, as well as the days of the super cut-rate airlines (almost all of whom are now defunct). I still work mostly full time, but as a consultant in my field. I've generally been flying WN in recent years (so much that my wife has a companion pass), but have tired of WN's lack of assigned seating, which can create problems on tight connections. Also, when WN cancels a flight or delays a flight to the point that a connection cannot be made, they generally won't put you on another airline.

Anyway -- for some perspective, and despite my air travel experiences (and yes, I'm aware of route pricing from a historical perspective), I still find that UA R/T fare between Tucson and Houston so expensive it's laughable. I could have justified probably up to about $700 or so, but (no pun intended) a $900+ fare ain't gonna fly with me. And I just checked that flight's seating -- UA continues to not sell a whole lot of additional seats at that fare!

Thanks again for all the helpful input and feedback!
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by flyerfmaz
And I just checked that flight's seating -- UA continues to not sell a whole lot of additional seats at that fare!
You can't tell how many tickets UA has sold from the economy seatmap, especially in the era of basic economy, which does not include a pre-assigned seat. The cabin could be booked nearly full.

Nor can one properly conclude that the $900 fare is what's impeding sales given that the fare drops by 50% when there's a Sunday night stay. A more likely conclusion (assuming just for arguments sake that the flight's not selling well) is that there's not much demand TUS-IAH on that particular day of travel.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:04 am
RNE

Originally Posted by jsloan
You'd be amazed how many travelers only consider nonstop flights.
Me, for example. I'd pay the $900 without a second thought. On my own dime. Indeed, nonstops are so important to me, I'm going to drive from Cleveland to Detroit because it's the nearest nonstop departure point to FRA.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
...A more likely conclusion (assuming just for arguments sake that the flight's not selling well) is that there's not much demand TUS-IAH on that particular day of travel.
Or UA's historical data indicate that the seats fill up with last-minute business travelers at those prices...
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:51 am
RNE

Originally Posted by LBJ
Nobody really is disagreeing that the pricing is rather obscene.
This nobody is disagreeing.

Nonstop flights are highly valuable to me. I like multiple quick stays rather than a few lengthy ones. Some upcoming trips: 3 days in AMS then home. 4 days in FCO then home. 3 days in ATH then home. 3 days in FRA then home. Spending a week in one place is anathema to me. Is my travel style "unusual"? Sure. But it's what I like. And the only way it's practical is nonstop flights. Connections consume precious time, even when they work well, and even more time when they don't. Just a half a day's delay seriously impacts a 3- or 4-day stay. A day's delay is disastrous! Do I ever connect? Sure, being from CLE I have to. But I'd gladly pay a premium not to. I want to get where I'm going quickly. Be glad there is a TUS-IAH nonstop.

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Or UA's historical data indicate that the seats fill up with last-minute business travelers at those prices...
I agree. Charge whatever the market will bear.

RNE, a jetsetter.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:51 am

Same goez for if you want to fly to TLV via LAX its $950 but nonstop from SFO its $2050. to go nonstop vs connecting from LA. Its O/D and Yield Management at its finest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.