Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Toddler seating in "emergency / exit" row (middle section of a widebody)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, HH Silver, Amex Plat

My wife and 3yo daughter are traveling next month to AMS. The booking system allowed me to purchase seats upgrade in the emergency row. According to seatguru this row has extra leg room.
should I worry that the crew will ask my family to move because children under 15 yo are not allowed there?

Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
I would assume that only the two seats between the aisles and the window would count as an "Exit Row" but I may be wrong.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I am pretty sure the policy is "no children under 15" in the entire row, not just the aisle and window seats.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:23 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by LTBoston
I am pretty sure the policy is "no children under 15" in the entire row, not just the aisle and window seats.
This would be correct.
wxguy and Often1 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
This would be correct.
While I don't disagree I have seen a blind eye used by the flight crew in the center sections. I have flown with my aged mother in just this row and gotten away with it. Obviously it wasn't the age issue but my mother is incapable of "aiding or assisting" anyone. I worried as well but nothing was said and have done this a few times now.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
By regulation, the seats in the middle section are not exit-row seats. This is defined in 14 CFR 121.585.

121.585 Exit seating.
(a)
(1) Each certificate holder shall determine, to the extent necessary to perform the applicable functions of paragraph (d) of this section, the suitability of each person it permits to occupy an exit seat, in accordance with this section. For the purpose of this section -
(i) Exit seat means -
(A) Each seat having direct access to an exit; and,
(B) Each seat in a row of seats through which passengers would have to pass to gain access to an exit, from the first seat inboard of the exit to the first aisle inboard of the exit.
(ii) A passenger seat having “direct access” means a seat from which a passenger can proceed directly to the exit without entering an aisle or passing around an obstruction.
This definition is also available to agents in SHARES via the document "GG EXIT ROW". Ask them to check there is there is any confusion.

NY-FLA, bmanu and scottpenderson like this.

Last edited by LarryJ; Jul 9, 2018 at 12:51 pm
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ
By regulation, the seats in the middle section are not exit-row seats. This is defined in 14 CFR 121.585.

121.585 Exit seating.
(a)
(1) Each certificate holder shall determine, to the extent necessary to perform the applicable functions of paragraph (d) of this section, the suitability of each person it permits to occupy an exit seat, in accordance with this section. For the purpose of this section -
(i) Exit seat means -
(B) Each seat in a row of seats through which passengers would have to pass to gain access to an exit, from the first seat inboard of the exit to the first aisle inboard of the exit.
(ii) A passenger seat having “direct access” means a seat from which a passenger can proceed directly to the exit without entering an aisle or passing around an obstruction.
This definition is also available to agents in SHARES via the document "GG EXIT ROW". Ask them to check there is there is any confusion.

Can you explain how part "B" isn't relevant to the middle seat not being considered an "exit" seat?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I'd choose 17/18DEF to avoid any chance of controversy... I'd hate to have to litigate interpretation of the FARs onboard with a flight attendant who may well be insistent on reseating (though it would be pretty straightforward).
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Can you explain how part "B" isn't relevant to the middle seat not being considered an "exit" seat?
The second half of paragraph B says it. "...from the first seat inboard of the exit to the first aisle inboard of the exit."

The seats in the middle section are separated from the exit row seats by aisles on both sides.
ajGoes and pfpdx like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, HH Silver, Amex Plat

121.585 Exit seating.
(a)
(i) Exit seat means -

thank you!
LarryJ likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
This explains the "blind eye" in my situations. Thanks, I'll keep on doing what I am doing.
LarryJ likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
The second half of paragraph B says it. "...from the first seat inboard of the exit to the first aisle inboard of the exit."

The seats in the middle section are separated from the exit row seats by aisles on both sides.
By corollary, I would also not expect these center-section seats to feature more legroom (but I have not flown them).
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:19 pm

Thanks. I went back to look at the OP's post and realized that it was the middle section of a widebody. Totally understand now.
pfpdx and LarryJ like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by PVDProf
By corollary, I would also not expect these center-section seats to feature more legroom (but I have not flown them).
Row 21 center section has a TON of leg room. I have seen children seated in this row as this center section is not right next to the exit doors. The bad part of this row is the constant traffic that crosses over from one side of the plane to the other side. After the first two times, I just started picking the AB/KL sections. Row 22 does NOT have any additional legroom in spite of being branded as an exit row. Learned that the hard way too.
PVDProf likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by pindi
Row 21 center section has a TON of leg room. I have seen children seated in this row as this center section is not right next to the exit doors. The bad part of this row is the constant traffic that crosses over from one side of the plane to the other side. After the first two times, I just started picking the AB/KL sections. Row 22 does NOT have any additional legroom in spite of being branded as an exit row. Learned that the hard way too.
And I believe that's why these may still be classified as exit row. They're not just bulkhead seats - they are designed to allow passage from one side or the other in an emergency (and, unfortunately, not during an emergency as pax assume there's so much room it's a passageway). Not sure any widebodies other than the 767 have such a row.

Now, that doesn't mean there's a good reason to restrict children - they don't have to help operate doors in case of emergency, and I'll be the crew wouldn't brief the center pax on emergency precautions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.