Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CPT from ORD question - cheapest *A routing not on UA.com {plating restrictions}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CPT from ORD question - cheapest *A routing not on UA.com {plating restrictions}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services -- Marriott Ambassador Elite - AA Gold

Hello All,

I need to travel to Cape Town in October from Chicago. Trying to book in J class, if I look on the United site there are a few options but all of them over $11,000 for Business Class. However if I look on Kayak I see an option with Turkish for around $4,000. Knowing that Turkish is a Star Alliance member, why can't I see that option with United? If I book through Turkish can I change it to a 016 ticket number as I believe I get additional PQM's or PQD's right?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by tmo454
Hello All,

I need to travel to Cape Town in October from Chicago. Trying to book in J class, if I look on the United site there are a few options but all of them over $11,000 for Business Class. However if I look on Kayak I see an option with Turkish for around $4,000. Knowing that Turkish is a Star Alliance member, why can't I see that option with United? If I book through Turkish can I change it to a 016 ticket number as I believe I get additional PQM's or PQD's right?
Definitely cannot change to 016 after booking. You might call in and see if they can't print on 016 stock, but they probably don't have access to the fare you are seeking. This happens frequently with Air Canada where UA can only print full fare tix up front.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Hello All,

If you have time do a Google flight search and select track prices to receive notifications when prices drop. From the west coast to CPT the LH/UA flights seem to vary from around $5K to 11K - I'm assuming the same thing happens for ORD.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:52 am

Knowing that Turkish is a Star Alliance member, why can't I see that option with United?
My understanding after encountering this before is that Turkish's ticketing system does not really get along well with United's. It's not quite as simple as "All Star Alliance flights should be available through any Star Alliance carrier's website."
Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:57 am
Original Poster

What am I really losing by booking through Turkish as opposed to trying to get an 016 ticket as a 1K flyer? Will I still get all PQM and PQD's ? Just maybe not BIS miles for lifetime ?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Hello All,

Star Alliance does not mean their fares are the same. If you see a Turkish (TK) fare you like, then suggest you book it. UA doesn't show TK fares because 1) many require the ticket be issued by TK (I pulled up a few they all have the following sales restrictions - "GENERAL RULE - APPLY UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF TK OR HR"). 2) UA doesn't want to sell you TK fares TATL as shown by the fact they don't codeshare.

Fair warning - even full fare business (C) on Turkish only earns 100% PQM (e.g., much less than the 200% you'd get if you flew UA/AC/LH/LX, etc.)
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
It's pretty normal for the deep discount fares to have a requirement to be on the carrier's own ticket stock.

Can you point to where Star Alliance told you otherwise?

Code:
   GENERAL RULE - APPLY UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
   TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF TK OR HR AND
   MAY NOT BE SOLD IN ERITREA/IRAN/VENEZUELA/SUDAN. AND
   MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN AREA 3/AREA 2/AREA 1.

TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF TK OR GP AND
   MAY NOT BE SOLD IN ERITREA/IRAN/VENEZUELA/SUDAN. AND
   MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN AREA 3/AREA 2/AREA 1.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:06 am
Original Poster

No one told me otherwise, I didn't mean for it to come off as an expectation. Just as question about if it was possible.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
What am I really losing by booking through Turkish as opposed to trying to get an 016 ticket as a 1K flyer? Will I still get all PQM and PQD's ? Just maybe not BIS miles for lifetime ?
You won't get PQDs (requires the ticket be on 016 - which isn't possible as noted). PQMs will be based on distance (100% if in J, or 125% if C, D, Z, K).

Make sure you read up here (worth a few passes because the nuances are confusing):
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-airlines.html
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jmanirish
You won't get PQDs (requires the ticket be on 016 - which isn't possible as noted). PQMs will be based on distance (100% if in J, or 125% if C, D, Z, K).

Make sure you read up here (worth a few passes because the nuances are confusing):
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-airlines.html
The nuances make sense – the language is confusing!
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
No one told me otherwise, I didn't mean for it to come off as an expectation. Just as question about if it was possible.
Ok, weird preface to the question.

Knowing that Turkish is a Star Alliance member, why can't I see that option with United?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Booking on TK ticket stock will not provide UA PQDs. Booking a TK flight will not provide LT BIS.
The UA PQMs will depend on the carrier used, not the ticket stock
The UA RDMs (award miles) will vary based on the ticket stock (UA ticket stock will use a multiple of the PQDs, non-UA operated flights on non-UA ticket stock will use a multiple of the miles traveled)

What you are running into is called "plating restrictions", many airlines are restriction their best fares to only be purchased on their ticket stock or a few others. This is undermining the value of alliances and has been around for years but these restrictions have been significantly increasing over the past year or two.

Very understandable this is a surprise to many, it is one of those "insider" things that most travelers are not aware of but is regularly discussed on FT.
Collierkr, AceReport and sinoflyer like this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Booking on TK ticket stock will not provide UA PQDs. Booking a TK flight will not provide LT BIS.
Note that both AA and DL give PQD equivalents for partner flights on all tickets. (DL changed this a couple of years ago; AA offered partner credit from the inception). While I hope that UA will “get the hint,” so to speak, if you expect to be taking partner flights regularly, you might consider a status match to a different airline. The penalty for booking certain partner flights on 016 tickets can be immense.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
OP is a 1K, and assumedly if this is this year, he or she is already at 12K spend, so the lack of PQDs will not impact him/her.

OP will still get the same PQMS on a TK or a UA ticket - the RDMs would differ (200% of BIS on TK, while 11x the spend on UA).

If I didn't need the Lifetime MIles or the spend, I'd book on TK.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Although I am well past the 12k Spend I only have a few more long hauls this year. Trying to get the golden goose of GS for the first time. Sitting at 36K spend so far so I need all the PQD's I can get but was hoping to spread it around on a few trips and not spend 14K on one flight...

Anyway, thanks again for the help, Always appreciated.
AceReport likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.