FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Connecting an award segment ticket to a regular fare ticket (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1916561-connecting-award-segment-ticket-regular-fare-ticket.html)

aacharya Jun 27, 2018 3:59 pm

i've done exactly what the OP did for a cheaper BOS-ORD-BRU flight, with a o/w reward ticket EWR-BOS.

If one has status, this is not a big deal and a neat way to save actual cash and burn a few leftover miles in family accounts.

One caveat - the day I flew, UA had a new overlay and could not figure out the bag tags. I had to reclaim at BOS. But it might also have been the total length of the flight.

StuckinITH Jun 27, 2018 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by sahiljain22 (Post 29913552)
Yes, but remember there is a cost to upfaring (last time I did it, I got charged $75+ fare difference). Fare difference now might not be the same as what it is in the future. Lowest fare classes (K,L etc) may not be upfarable sometimes at all.

The OP is not planning to upfare. Just wants to buy a cheaper fare in one direction and at least a W fare in the other direction so that the GPU that will be received before the return can be used.

garkster Jun 27, 2018 9:18 pm

Rent a car at PHL and drive to IAD. The cost is well worth the peace of mind and stress reduction.

I routinely do SFO/CVG nonstop, renting a car for the 90-minute drive to SDF, vs. nasty connections through ORD, and I'm just concerned with reaching my hotel at a reasonable time in advance of meeting with my client the next day - nothing at all like worrying about multiple international connections on another airline. Also, one less opportunity for the airlines to lose your luggage.

2stepbay Jun 29, 2018 2:09 am

Originally Posted by aacharya (Post 29913786)
i've done exactly what the OP did for a cheaper BOS-ORD-BRU flight, with a o/w reward ticket EWR-BOS.

If one has status, this is not a big deal and a neat way to save actual cash and burn a few leftover miles in family accounts.
One caveat - the day I flew, UA had a new overlay and could not figure out the bag tags. I had to reclaim at BOS. But it might also have been the total length of the flight.

Definitely a cash saver. And a good way to burn some miles. Difference in ticket price was about $300.
In the past, when checking-in, I mention right away to the attendant the baggage part may be complicated. This usually leads to a floor supervisor appearing sooner than later.

Originally Posted by StuckinITH (Post 29913814)
The OP is not planning to upfare. Just wants to buy a cheaper fare in one direction and at least a W fare in the other direction so that the GPU that will be received before the return can be used.

That's precisely it!

2stepbay Aug 18, 2018 7:19 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 29909451)
Yes, although it can be a bit of a challenge for an agent to figure out how to do it. Arrive early.

Thanks for the tip. I did just that and arrived 30 minutes earlier than usual. Even though I had linked the 2 tickets on United site, the counter agent could not figure out how to get my bags to Cape Town via the 2 tickets. I asked for a supervisor. Took her 20 minutes...but she persevered and succeeded.

Kacee Aug 18, 2018 7:53 am

Originally Posted by 2stepbay (Post 30096907)
Even though I had linked the 2 tickets on United site

There is no such functionality. All that does is display them together for you when you sign into your account. It does not link the reservations in any meaningful or functional way.

Repooc17 Aug 18, 2018 8:06 am

Glad to hear everything worked out.

I am assuming from a cost savings standpoint, it may be more than $300 - PHL-IAD-FRA would normally be cheaper than IAD-FRA due to origin.

LondonElite Aug 18, 2018 8:24 am

Originally Posted by 2stepbay (Post 29909948)
Yes...will book the earlier PHL>IAD flight. 6+ hrs in the United lounge at Dulles can't be all that bad ;)

Sounds like torture to me!

2stepbay Jul 16, 2019 11:53 am

Long over due follow-up. However, will be helpful for others with a long layover in DC. Instead of going to United Lounge for the long layover, I opted for the LH Lounge in Terminal B. Much nicer space, not as crowded and really good food. Rather easy too getting back to the United side via the shuttle train. All in all was a good layover.