Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RewardsPlus: Bonus UA Miles for Marriott Bookings (500 miles per booking 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jsloan
Print Wikipost

RewardsPlus: Bonus UA Miles for Marriott Bookings (500 miles per booking 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Thanks for posting this. It was the first time I saw it. I'm going to try this next week. I did read all the T&Cs. It is pretty clear that old SPG brands will not get the bonus plus a handful of other Marriott hotels. I cancelled my two night stay at a Sheraton in SAT and booked one night at a Res Inn and one night at a TownePlace. Hope it posts okay. I'm lifetime Platinum Premier Elite (w/ Ambassador right now), so technically not Gold or Platinum right now, but I'm guessing the extra 500 miles should post anyway.

In making this change I will be giving up 3000 Marriott points (MegaBonus 2K bonus for 2 night stays + 1K for a new brand) plus I'm guessing about 1800 difference as half points staying at a RI and SHS (factoring in all CC bonus'). 5800 points total. I'll choose points at these two hotels for arrival gift (vs breakfast at the Sheraton) so I gain 1K back. I will also gain 2K total for the mega bonus for two new brands and checkoff the long term props I won't normally stay at. So Net loss is only about 2800 marriott points, but I should gain 3K UA miles. I'd say that is a great tradeoff.
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trekwars2000
I'm lifetime Platinum Premier Elite (w/ Ambassador right now), so technically not Gold or Platinum right now, but I'm guessing the extra 500 miles should post anyway.
I've received the bonus miles for each stay despite also being Platinum Premier.

I should gain 3K UA miles.
To get 3K miles, you (probably?) need to bind two different trips to the stays. If you have a round-trip to SAT, I'd think that only one of the stays would credit. What's supposed to happen is that after you make the first reservation, it shows up as "Paired" in the display and it won't allow you to add another hotel stay to that leg. I've found that the "pairing" doesn't work very well but the miles still appear. I have not yet tried re-using a flight to get more than one bonus from it.

If you were successfully able to bind two stays to the same flight (and got credit for both), please post your experience for future travelers.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by jsloan
I've received the bonus miles for each stay despite also being Platinum Premier.

To get 3K miles, you (probably?) need to bind two different trips to the stays. If you have a round-trip to SAT, I'd think that only one of the stays would credit. What's supposed to happen is that after you make the first reservation, it shows up as "Paired" in the display and it won't allow you to add another hotel stay to that leg. I've found that the "pairing" doesn't work very well but the miles still appear. I have not yet tried re-using a flight to get more than one bonus from it.

If you were successfully able to bind two stays to the same flight (and got credit for both), please post your experience for future travelers.
I booked it as two one ways. I was messing around with it at work. I booked and cancelled a few hotels before I settled in on what I wanted to do. Where do I see it paired?

Edit to add that I redid it at home at the first leg shows as paired. I'm trying to use the return to Vegas flight to get it paired to the second reservation but it won't say paired.... hum....

Last edited by trekwars2000; Nov 15, 2018 at 6:21 pm Reason: Add
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I booked it as two one ways. I was messing around with it at work. I booked and cancelled a few hotels before I settled in on what I wanted to do. Where do I see it paired?

Edit to add that I redid it at home at the first leg shows as paired. I'm trying to use the return to Vegas flight to get it paired to the second reservation but it won't say paired.... hum....
Booked as two one-ways, I'd say you have a good chance to get all 3000 points then. The unknown question would be whether or not you can pair a stay that occurs before the flight. Someone else has asked that question in the thread but there hasn't been a definitive answer on it one way or the other.

"Not staying paired" isn't automatically a problem, though. I've had several stays that didn't show up as paired but still earned the bonus.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
One of my upcoming trips is not showing up at all in this page (it is a 016 ticket with an SFO-PVG-PEK-SFO itinerary where PVG-PEK is on CA metal). Is there a trick to adding a specific locator to make the hotel booking show up?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expressboy
One of my upcoming trips is not showing up at all in this page (it is a 016 ticket with an SFO-PVG-PEK-SFO itinerary where PVG-PEK is on CA metal). Is there a trick to adding a specific locator to make the hotel booking show up?
When is the departure? Only itineraries from the next 90 days are displayed.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
When is the departure? Only itineraries from the next 90 days are displayed.
Next week
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I had 1500 miles post < 2 weeks after a Courtyard Marriott stay at the destination.

I just keep forgetting to use this link. Will book another now and report back. Decent promotion, especially for road warriors who a) stay with Marriott b) don't go through a corporate portal for hotel bookings. I was also able to use a corporate promo code to get my 'usual' rate, so this really is free miles.
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
I've had several reservations post to my account. Easy 1,500 miles each.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
Do Marriott points also post to your Marriott accounts as well, when using this? Can you use Corporate Rates when booking a Marriott hotel?

-mvitale
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvitale
Do Marriott points also post to your Marriott accounts as well, when using this? Can you use Corporate Rates when booking a Marriott hotel?

-mvitale
Yes, you still get your regular Marriott points as well. This is an additional bonus.

The T&C disallow corporate rates, but seanp7 was able to get both the corporate rate and the bonus, so YMMV.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
Yes, you still get your regular Marriott points as well. This is an additional bonus.
Thanks. I've re-booked my stay next week using the portal.

-mvitale
jsloan and seanp7 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seanp7
I had 1500 miles post < 2 weeks after a Courtyard Marriott stay at the destination.

I just keep forgetting to use this link. Will book another now and report back. Decent promotion, especially for road warriors who a) stay with Marriott b) don't go through a corporate portal for hotel bookings. I was also able to use a corporate promo code to get my 'usual' rate, so this really is free miles.

I didn't think corporate rates qualified.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by chicaloca453
I didn't think corporate rates qualified.
Officially no, but mine has posted. 3 times now.
chicaloca453 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
I used the portal, but none of my three show paired. Should I be concerned?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.