Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

FlightGlobal: United seeks return to New York JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FlightGlobal: United seeks return to New York JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by tphuang
LI/Queens/Southern brooklyn folks are not flying out of EWR. NJ folks are not flying out of JFK. Outside of maybe the ultimate bargain hunters. it's only manhattan, part of bronx/brooklyn/Westchester that might pick either one.
This reflects reality, with the "other reality" being that that EWR is not so easy to get to from the rest of NYC unless you are near or have easy access to PATH or Penn Station.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SFOdelayed
EWR to Newark Penn, across the platform to PATH to WTC, W down the block. Step free access and predictable for me. Reverse to go back. I don’t go to Penn station unless I’m uptown. I have timetables and know how to navigate NJ transit. QED
NJT is really not that hard to navigate. You save yourself a bunch of time and grief if you download the app for tickets.

The main thing NJT needs to fix (and UA should really lobby for this change) is fixing their weekday midday schedule, along with the weekend schedule - there are huge gaps that need to be filled. That said, Uber is usually $40-45 to NYC, and that is a premium over NJT ticket I am willing to spend to get dropped off right at my doorstep.
SFOdelayed likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Objectively, Terminal C at EWR is nicer than the vast majority of airport terminals in the U.S. I have been to. I agree that the rest of the EWR terminals have much to be desired. Hopefully the new Terminal A, once that is done (if it gets done?) will begin to upgrade overall perception of the rest of EWR.
Wow. Totally different view. Terminal C is crappy. No room to walk. Overcrowded. And OTG's ipad stupidity, no-name knock off restuarants, and no service makes terminal C a place to avoid.

Terminal A has some great food options (pre-seucrity) and a very nice United Club. TSA is the only drawback to flying out of A now.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:50 am

EWR to Newark Penn, across the platform to PATH to WTC, W down the block. Step free access and predictable for me. Reverse to go back. I don’t go to Penn station unless I’m uptown. I have timetables and know how to navigate NJ transit. QED

And UBER when I want has been much more predictable to/from EWR than dealing with the Van Wyck. Last biz trip, colleague flew into JFK. I flew into EWR. Flights landed at the same time, I was at the hotel in about 45 min. His trip from JFK took over 2 in a car.

I guarantee you most people in Manhattan take PATH less than three time a year. Which means there is additional times needed to figure out where to get PATH ticket and which platform to go to.

Now I took a look at WTC to EWR T-C and JFK T-4 both starting at 5 pm
Get to JFK T-4 at 18:16
Get to EWR T-c at 18:03

so yes, EWR is a little closer, but then most people don't take PATH normally and they certainly don't take NJ buses. Whereas everyone takes subway, so there is no stresses there. And that doesn't even factor in weekends, when PATH and NJ transits come very infrequently.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I guarantee you most people in Manhattan take PATH less than three time a year. Which means there is additional times needed to figure out where to get PATH ticket and which platform to go to.

Now I took a look at WTC to EWR T-C and JFK T-4 both starting at 5 pm
Get to JFK T-4 at 18:16
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Worl...1528131600!3e3
Get to EWR T-c at 18:03
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Path...1528131600!3e3

so yes, EWR is a little closer, but then most people don't take PATH normally and they certainly don't take NJ buses. Whereas everyone takes subway, so there is no stresses there. And that doesn't even factor in weekends, when PATH and NJ transits come very infrequently.
I’m not disagreeing with you that the average NYer may be unfamiliar with options to EWR but you’re the one who challenged the idea. I personally find it easier and quicker to/from EWR (actually in a car/UBER as well). I don’t have any perceived superiority of JFK just because it is in the state of NY. I actually like public transport. And frankly I’d rather deal with PATH and NJ transit than have to sit on the E train through all of NYC.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I’m not disagreeing with you that the average NYer may be unfamiliar with transport options to EWR but you’re the one who challenged the idea. I personally find it easier and quicker to/from EWR (actually both using public transport and in a car/UBER as well). I don’t have any perceived superiority of JFK as an airport vs EWR. I actually like public transport. And frankly I’d rather deal with PATH and NJ transit than have to sit on the E train through all of NYC.
The other problem is that taking a car during rush hour is crazy. The variance is so high that I gave up after learning the hard way - public transportation is simply much more reliable.
RandomBaritone and SFOdelayed like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...Which means there is additional times needed to figure out where to get PATH ticket and which platform to go to....
It really isn't rocket science. Like just about every train station in the world, the ticket windows (and machines) are in the waiting area (look for people sitting behind glass above the waiting area). Screens show the departure times and platforms (mounted on walls in the waiting area). The entry to the platforms are labeled (look for signs above the doorways). I ride PATH/NJtransit once or twice a year. I have the app and can buy a ticket sitting on a beach on Maui.
SFOdelayed likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott

The EWR vs. JFK discussion always draws out some pretty bizarre observations...

PATH is on the MetroCard.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
I always try and take public transit to and from airports in every city I go to around the world, and find that the PATH is no more or less confusing than most rail networks out there. The Sutphin transfer to the JFK AirTrain is no more confusing... which isn't all that confusing to start off with.

Not liking the extra hop on the NJT at Newark Penn is one thing, but this idea that it's mega complicated to take the PATH and requires a ton of extra CSI detective work to figure out... like... come on. If you're a New Yorker and can't figure out a rail network that literally has 13 stops on the whole system...
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
This discussion is going exactly as I predicted - after being presented with facts about JFK being furthest from Goldman Sachs and roughly equi-distant from JP Morgan for driving, now the anti EWR crowd want to latch onto the public transport argument.

last time I checked, LGA isn’t directly linked by rail, so even the closest options (like Q70 Express from Jackson heights) are subject to the mercy of BQE+GCP

but of course, people ONLY access LGA via private cars and uber and ONLY access JFK via rail, right ? Last time I checked, Carnarsie or Ronkonkoma aren’t the center of the universe /s
JVPhoto likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Leaving JFK was a stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid idea. Deciding to leave JFK entirely was always going to be a bad decision for a major US based global carrier. It doesn't matter if you were using JFK as a destination from the west coast, transiting through to other connections, or WHATEVER you might have been using it for.

Given that UA has been clear about this, it remains unclear to me what is left to debate at this point.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
The last two times I flew into EWR I booked a RT on the Newark Airport Express bus. However, you're subject to traffic. Next time, I will try Air Train to Newark Airport Station, then NJ Transit to Newark Penn, then PATH (or maybe NJ Transit all the way).
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Leaving JFK was a stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid idea. Deciding to leave JFK entirely was always going to be a bad decision for a major US based global carrier. It doesn't matter if you were using JFK as a destination from the west coast, transiting through to other connections, or WHATEVER you might have been using it for.

Given that UA has been clear about this, it remains unclear to me what is left to debate at this point.
Th{e} new management has now repeatedly admitted it was a big mistake to give up their 26 slots to DAL

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 3, 2018 at 7:02 pm Reason: discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Jun 3, 2018, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
OMG how many times are people going to debate whether JFK or EWR is easier to reach from various parts of Manhattan???

Particularly since that has nothing to do with the statement by Kirby which is supposedly the topic of this thread?
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kacee
OMG how many times are people going to debate whether JFK or EWR is easier to reach from various parts of Manhattan???

Particularly since that has nothing to do with the statement by Kirby which is supposedly the topic of this thread?
It's virtually impossible to have a discussion about JFK and EWR without it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.