Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

weight restrictions 19 May 2018 on LAX-HNL and others?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2018, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: United currently plat

Im flying to HNL on a 777 and while in the boarding area I heard mention of “weight restriction” at several gates in their announcements.

Anyobe know whats going on? Our flight is fairly empty and there are 70 people on stand-by. The GA announced she may be able to get 30 of them due to weight restrictions..

What gives?? Fuel shortage (lol)?
Old May 19, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Extra fuel for diversion possibility/lengthy routing do to the erupting volcano?
letsgook likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Extra fuel for diversion possibility/lengthy routing do to the erupting volcano?
Even so, a 777-200A with full tanks and cargo can certainly make LAX-HNL even with an odd-ball routing. Runway length isn't an issue. I'm probably missing something, though.
Old May 19, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
25R, the longest runway, was/is being re-furbished. Don't know if that has anything to do with it...

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 19, 2018 at 10:11 am
Old May 19, 2018, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Sounds like an LAX issue if there are multiple routes affected.
Old May 19, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Could be some of the things mentioned above, and possibly a full cargo load too. The routing, with headwind, and possibly an increased cargo payload due to the low bookings probably add up to this.
Old May 19, 2018, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
Could be some of the things mentioned above, and possibly a full cargo load too. The routing, with headwind, and possibly an increased cargo payload due to the low bookings probably add up to this.
Multiple flights are/were apparently affected. United doesn't normally boot passengers for cargo.
Old May 19, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
could also be any type of MEL that is causing a payload limitation.
Old May 19, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by evol
Im flying to HNL on a 777 and while in the boarding area I heard mention of “weight restriction” at several gates in their announcements.

Anyobe know whats going on? Our flight is fairly empty and there are 70 people on stand-by. The GA announced she may be able to get 30 of them due to weight restrictions..

What gives?? Fuel shortage (lol)?
I fly this route on UA1158 quite a bit and weight restrictions happen with some regularity. I highly doubt additional fuel is required due to Kilauea. The current position of Kilauea's ash plume is not affecting normal flight paths to/from HNL.
Old May 19, 2018, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Why are so many people completely ignoring the fact that the OP stated there were multiple flights affected? Anything destination-specific, route-specific, or aircraft-specific is pretty much off the table.
Old May 19, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Why are so many people completely ignoring the fact that the OP stated there were multiple flights affected? Anything destination-specific, route-specific, or aircraft-specific is pretty much off the table.
Because it's possible that one weight restriction is entirely unrelated to another? @:-)
Old May 19, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA GS
Kona wind/strong headwinds most likely. Flew from OGG-LAX a few weeks ago under such wind conditions and they off loaded 15 on our flight and 20 on the SFO flight.
Old May 19, 2018, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Kona wind/strong headwinds most likely. Flew from OGG-LAX a few weeks ago under such wind conditions and they off loaded 15 on our flight and 20 on the SFO flight.
Weight restrictions out of OGG are common due to runway length, but LAX has plenty of room. That is such a short distance for a 777, a weight restriction is surprising. Was there a tailwind on runways 24/25 at LAX this morning?
Old May 20, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Very light headwinds on day of flight, in fact almost calm for nearly 1/2 the flight.

Old May 20, 2018, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United currently plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Sounds like an LAX issue if there are multiple routes affected.
Yes as I had mentioned, I heard the weight restriction announcement coming from different gates. The only reason I would think to ask here. The pilot didn’t mention the weight restriction but did say that Kilauea was NOT posing any changes to the flight path. Flight time was a normal 5h11m

We did taxi all the way over to 24L. Other than that i guess it’s a mystery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.