Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why SFO TPAC downgrade (773 to non-converted? 772s) in 2018Q4?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why SFO TPAC downgrade (773 to non-converted? 772s) in 2018Q4?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by adambrau
So, how many more pmUA 777 with the 2-4-2 Polaris cabin to convert - 30 to 45?
30, with two currently in mods.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by adambrau
I fly to mainly to London Frankfurt and Hong Kong from Newark so the chance of getting on a 2-4-2 777 is low. I completely agree that United can't get rid of it's 2-4-2 777 fast enough!
And given I am more often doomed to E+ I hope those 2-4-2s with 9-across Y stick around as long as possible.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by EWR764
United filed most of its winter schedule equipment changes in the back half of July and early August in 2017, and similar patterns are noted in 2015 and 2016. It's only July 10 and the schedule (with equipment) United is selling now is impossible to meet. Things will change.
Good data. I guess we’ll know soon. I do think UA is struggling on these Asian routes with the 360 seat 77W. I’m heading to HK tomorrow. Look at the seat map below. 33/60 booked in Polaris and E+ wide open. Thursday of the busiest summer travel month of the year.

Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Good data. I guess we’ll know soon. I do think UA is struggling on these Asian routes with the 360 seat 77W. I’m heading to HK tomorrow. Look at the seat map below. 33/60 booked in Polaris and E+ wide open. Thursday of the busiest summer travel month of the year.
That's how my SFO HKG flight looked a few days before departure, but it went out completely full with minimal NRSA up front - the back filled up with folks who I assume did not reserve seats ahead of time because the upgrade and standby lists were not that long.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:46 am

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The practical use case, at least from my clients' perspective which is likely to mirror many product-aware travelers in a similar demographic (ie, the ones who buy Business/First on their own dime and have specific likes/dislikes towards airlines, aircraft, seats, etc), is flying EWR-HKG today in Polaris, having a reasonably not-horrible experience, then going to book the next trip and at that point we discover the Polaris seat is unavailable and when we disclose the seating arrangement, they balk and instruct us to book elsewhere.

Does that mean UA cannot sell the 2x4x2 772 closer to departure? I'm sure they will fill the cabin with a combination of upgrades, corporate discounts, loyalists and some discretionary purchases....it's not like the cabin will go empty....but the cabin/seating *does* factor into the purchase decision making process for many customers of a certain demographic despite claims to the contrary - the effect on a specific downgraded flight, however, is hard to forecast. Maybe they end up selling a higher percentage of P/D vs C/J fares on a downgraded route, depressing margins?

Pre-Polaris, people made a decision with full knowledge that IPTE was as good as they were going to get - either accept it or book elsewhere. Now an expectation is created for a better seat, then that expectation is yanked away, which creates a certain negativity or disappointment that wasn't a part of the purchase decision in the past.
All of our senior leadership who get business class allowances only care about one thing - timing. Sure, all of them have airlines they prefer, have status on, etc. but one of them is even GS and he flew Korean Air just because the timing was better for him on that particular trip. Every business class travel executive cares about timing the most. When does the flight leave, when does it arrive, and how painful are the connections (if any). While every one of them (that I've met, at least) is well versed in which airline offers what seats, all they care about is schedule.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I travel about 75% for business and 25% personal travel (approximately of 400K BIS travel each year). The factors influencing my choice are (in terms of importance):

1. Schedules and timing
Meetings and business commitments are the most important. There are calls scheduled around the clock and the ability to participate on the calls while traveling is quite important in choosing the flights

2. Price
I have control over my unit's annual travel budget (approved by my employer on an annual basis), I make sure I have enough budgets for unexpected travel needs, so I typically choose discount business fares when I know the schedules are certain and go for full fares if I can anticipate there will be changes ahead of time.

3. Airlines Status
I try to fly UA and SQ the most and then other *A carriers. I don't usually consider non-*A airlines unless scheduling or price becomes a factor. Airlines status helps during irregular operations and need to get on alternative flights and provide hotel rooms during cancellations or delays. GS and PPS have served me well.

4. PQM and RDM
PQM and RDM all go to United M+ to earn additional GPUs and RPUs for personal and family travels.

5. Upgrade space and Seats and type of aircrafts
Sure, for my personal travel, I care most about upgrade space and types of planes/configurations. For business travel, meeting time and work commitments are the most important. Do I like 1-2-1 Polaris seats? sure, but I settle for 2-4-2 because work comes first in the event of better schedule and pricing. Sometimes, I have extra GPUs to burn, I upgrade myself to Global First on the three-class planes. In fact, I am doing it today on my LHR-IAD flight using GPU/D fare.

So, yes, seats are important but there are more important things in life than get upset about airplane cabins.
Miggles and EWR764 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Thursday of the busiest summer travel month of the year.
Huh? July and August are the slowest months of the year for business travel. And business travel drives premium cabin demand on this route. SFO-HKG has been a pretty easy upgrade in July/August for years. And Thursday westbound is one of the easiest days of the week for upgrades. Saturday and Sunday are the high demand business travel days on SFO-HKG.

Bottom line: You can't draw any conclusions (or at least not credible ones) about how this route is doing by looking at J loads on a Thursday in July or August.
EWR764, gcashin, Imstevek and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
My main route is from SFO to TPE and we do this about 4 times a yr. Loved the fact that Polaris seats were available as we're booking confirmed seats in business w/ instruments. Sucks that things are changing and it looks like the "placeholder" idea isn't going to go away.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by twkidM3
My main route is from SFO to TPE and we do this about 4 times a yr. Loved the fact that Polaris seats were available as we're booking confirmed seats in business w/ instruments. Sucks that things are changing and it looks like the "placeholder" idea isn't going to go away.
Should have booked BR and then use mile to upgrade.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by krispykrme

Should have booked BR and then use mile to upgrade.
Hmm, is it cheaper?
Sfo to Tpe on a discounted W fare is $1100-1200 + GPU. How much does it cost to fly BR? Which fare do I need to buy (economy/premium economy)? How many miles to upgrade?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:23 pm

I guess this gives me a good excuse to fly BR later this year to avoid 772s. I already qualified for 1K, and GS is unlikely given we don't travel enough, so
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
Huh? July and August are the slowest months of the year for business travel. And business travel drives premium cabin demand on this route. SFO-HKG has been a pretty easy upgrade in July/August for years. And Thursday westbound is one of the easiest days of the week for upgrades. Saturday and Sunday are the high demand business travel days on SFO-HKG.

Bottom line: You can't draw any conclusions (or at least not credible ones) about how this route is doing by looking at J loads on a Thursday in July or August.
Day matters a lot, but having flown SFO-HKG at least a few times a year for the last 20 years, Y is almost always, every day, full in Y in June/July/August. In my searches for asian trips the last year, UA appears to almost always be the cheap ride, and my only guess is that a combo of how horrible the 77W is product wise, and how horrible UA service is, that the book away is strong.

While I think CX has been stupid in many ways to cut back the J service quality (so says everyone I know in HKG) United has set it self up to be fighting with Hong Kong Airlines for the bargain basement el chepo delux travelers.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, is it cheaper?
Sfo to Tpe on a discounted W fare is $1100-1200 + GPU. How much does it cost to fly BR? Which fare do I need to buy (economy/premium economy)? How many miles to upgrade?
No, it's absolutely not cheaper. However, EVA and Asiana sometimes have upgradable fares that aren't a great deal more expensive than a UA W fare. Pretty much nobody else does, although as more airlines add PE fares to the list, it's worth keep an eye open.

The valid fare classes are Y&B* for OZ and Y, B, and K (full-fare premium economy) for BR. You can't waitlist these awards, and nobody's really sure what the inventory is. (It appears to be a hidden subset of the business class award inventory).

* or C&D, for Business -> First.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by spin88
While I think CX has been stupid in many ways to cut back the J service quality (so says everyone I know in HKG) United has set it self up to be fighting with Hong Kong Airlines for the bargain basement el chepo delux travelers.
el cheapo? Friend just paid $15k for a last minute C ticket on UA SFO-HKG flying this week. All cheaper fare buckets were sold out in both directions.

Originally Posted by jsloan
nobody's really sure what the inventory is. (It appears to be a hidden subset of the business class award inventory).
BR upgrade inventory is Z. That's not subject to debate.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Hmm, is it cheaper?
B,K,Y

Usually same as W on UA.

30k miles each way.
el cheapo? Friend just paid $15k for a last minute C ticket on UA SFO-HKG flying this week. All cheaper fare buckets were sold out in both directions.

BR upgrade inventory is Z. That's not subject to debate.
Forget what Tripplus clown. They deleted my post and locked me out after I proved that even if Z is available on experflyer. If I doesn’t exist, chances are you ain’t getting a SAUA upgrade.

This isn’t true at all. Hi-tech companies this is usually the peak season for travel to Asia due to product launch on fall. Back in my fruit days- I can tell you this much. Peak starts from May to end of the year.

I know for sure that the top 3 Bay Area tech giants easily can accomodate 75% of J seats to Asia.
Originally Posted by jsloan
No, it's absolutely not cheaper. However, EVA and Asiana sometimes have upgradable fares that aren't a great deal more expensive than a UA W fare. Pretty much nobody else does, although as more airlines add PE fares to the list, it's worth keep an eye open.

The valid fare classes are Y&B* for OZ and Y, B, and K (full-fare premium economy) for BR. You can't waitlist these awards, and nobody's really sure what the inventory is. (It appears to be a hidden subset of the business class award inventory).

* or C&D, for Business -> First.
You need I to be 100% guarantee of upgrade. Having Z inventory isn’t guaranteed.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 24, 2018 at 4:33 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.