Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Could United grab Iranian aircraft orders?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium

Below are Boeing orders from Iranian airlines. Some were scheduled to be delivered end of this year. Would United have any interest in grabbing some of these? Maybe the 777-300ERs?

I'm sure the low cost airlines would jump at this opportunity. From the WSJ this morning:

"The impact of Trans-Atlantic low-cost carriers on summer travel is startling. Iceland’s Wow now flies to a dozen U.S. cities from Reykjavik, with connections across Europe. Norwegian flies to 15 U.S. cities from airports scattered all over Europe. From the New York area in July, Norwegian will fly nonstop to Amsterdam, Barcelona, Copenhagen, London, Madrid, Oslo, Paris, Rome and Stockholm. Austin, Texas, will have two airlines flying nonstop to London: Norwegian and British Airways."

Old May 9, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Below are Boeing orders from Iranian airlines. Some were scheduled to be delivered end of this year. Would United have any interest in grabbing some of these? Maybe the 777-300ERs?
I don't think UA has a need for 15 more 77W, but it was reported in mid-2017 that United was in discussions for another 4-8 77W frames. That would bring it close to replacing the 747 fleet on a one-for-one basis, even though it's been a combination of 77W and 789 that's mostly replaced the -400s in practice.

It could be interesting, especially if Boeing is willing to offer them at the right price, since 77X production is approaching.
Old May 10, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly

I'm sure the low cost airlines would jump at this opportunity. From the WSJ this morning:

"The impact of Trans-Atlantic low-cost carriers on summer travel is startling. Iceland’s Wow now flies to a dozen U.S. cities from Reykjavik, with connections across Europe. Norwegian flies to 15 U.S. cities from airports scattered all over Europe. From the New York area in July, Norwegian will fly nonstop to Amsterdam, Barcelona, Copenhagen, London, Madrid, Oslo, Paris, Rome and Stockholm. Austin, Texas, will have two airlines flying nonstop to London: Norwegian and British Airways."

It could be puffing but Boeing is quoted in CNN saying that Iran orders don't factor into their current production plans ..... (Link to Article)

And he said it won't be a problem if those Iranian orders are canceled permanently, since its current production plans no longer rely on those sales. If US - Iran relations improve and the sales are reinstated, it will be a bonus for Boeing, he said.
Old May 10, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I don't know that UA wants $20 Billion of the identified aircraft. Terminating the 737-700 order in favor of used A319s suggests they're paying more attention to capital expenses & free cash flow. They got on the bandwagon of share buybacks (Dec. '17) because everybody's doing it! (DL, WN, AS, AA)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.