Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Non-Revs and their Shenanigans (asking customer to move/change seats)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Revs and their Shenanigans (asking customer to move/change seats)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by fumje
That's a pretty warped interpretation. If no one on the plane had a boarding pass for 18D, the person who asked the FA and got OK would be most entitled. The person in 19E who pressured the one in 18E to give it up again was just being a bully, regardless of personal bathroom issues.
bully??!!!
They asked!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WeekendsOnly

bully??!!!
They asked!
Yes they asked—they asked someone to give up something of value for no recompense.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Yes they asked—they asked someone to give up something of value for no recompense.
Something of value, for which the OP did not pay either.
They could have said no.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
As I see the situation, once the OP's girlfriend asked the FA to change seats and the FA agreed, the aisle seat was her assigned seat. The nonrev then clearly violated policy by asking a revenue passenger wo switch seats. It would *possibly* be different if the girlfriend had just moved over into the unoccupied seat without involving the FA.

This argument does not rely on trying to guess or parse the policy about whether it's forbidden for a nonrev to ask a revenue passenger to switch seats or whether the prohibition only involves the requesting of a revenue passenger to move out of an assigned seat.

ADDED: Note that legacy airline policies for nonrevs are that they are not to ask/request that revenue passengers switch seats with the nonrev or for the benefit of the nonrev. It's certainly not the case that it's OK for them to ask provided that no actual seat swap occurs, which seems to be the argument above that "they asked.".
porciuscato likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They could have said no.
We're just rehashing all the previous discussion now, but (i) there are plenty of things in the world where being first to claim is the only way to 'pay' for it, and (ii) if 18E had said no to 19E, 18E is going to pay the cost of looking mildly anti-social for being unsympathetic to 19E's claimed issues. So either 18E gives up the thing of value or 18E pays a cost for retaining it. All of that is imposed by 19E.
EmailKid and porciuscato like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
They could have said no.
To some degree, to ask is to impose. You're putting someone on the spot. That's sorta OK for one customer to do to another, but it is quite wrong for an employee to do to a customer.

One time, a GS agent asked a passenger to give up his aisle seat so my wife could sit next to me. Seeing the person was not a native English speaker, my wife stopped her and insisted we were very happy to keep our seats. You could see the look of relief on the guy's face. He was about to move, but you could tell he really preferred not to.

Last edited by porciuscato; Apr 15, 2018 at 10:42 am
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by epiahtles
If you booked aisle/window combo, the worst thing can happen is 18EF which is exactly what you had, and the best possible thing is 18DEF all for you and your GF. So you should have booked that way in the first place. Even if it wasn't an option, at the moment you were asking FA if you could change your seat, you could have just take the empty seat without asking or loitering right in front of the seat and see what happen. If you did that, I believe no one is gonna tell you GTFO of my seat or tell FA to move you back to your assigned seat so that he could take the empty seat, as you and others have equally have no right about the empty seat and you kinda dip the empty seat hard way. And if you act fast enough and dip the seat hard way on the pretty early stage of boarding, other passengers wouldn't even know whether the seat is empty or not, hence don't even think about taking the seat. I believe the problem is two folds, and both are caused by your action.
The young lady was already sitting in the aisle seat. And she had done the proper thing by getting the FA's OK to move there. Your point is if she had sat in it before Non Rev ever saw it, Non Rev would not have bothered her. Others make the point the couple could have booked aisle and window in the first place, and still others say she could have said No to Non Rev. All these theories put blame on the couple rather than the Non Rev who conned them into giving him the aisle with a lie. The company's employees have no business taking advantage of the company's customers.
MSPeconomist and porciuscato like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Tizzette

The young lady was already sitting in the aisle seat. And she had done the proper thing by getting the FA's OK to move there. Your point is if she had sat in it before Non Rev ever saw it, Non Rev would not have bothered her. Others make the point the couple could have booked aisle and window in the first place, and still others say she could have said No to Non Rev. All these theories put blame on the couple rather than the Non Rev who conned them into giving him the aisle with a lie. The company's employees have no business taking advantage of the company's customers.
again you don’t know that it was a non rev, and you don’t know that it was a con. Unless the OP stayed awake watching the individual the entire flight.
JVPhoto likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:24 pm

again you don’t know that it was a non rev, and you don’t know that it was a con. Unless the OP stayed awake watching the individual the entire flight.
All the facts we can know about what happened are what OP told us. OP's first hand account is more believable to me than second guessing by those who were not there.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC

All the facts we can know about what happened are what OP told us. OP's first hand account is more believable to me than second guessing by those who were not there.
That’s not what a fact is.
narvik, CHOPCHOP767 and SFOdelayed like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
No lawsuits come to mind. That DOES NOT mean this does not happen.
Do you know non revs including relatives have a dress code and behaviour protocol ?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
FT, meet post-modernism...

Why is there all of this seat switching? Unless I missed the part about an equipment change, if a couple wants to sit together, then book two seats together.

This NRSA 'stuff' reminds me of the "I paid for F therefore I deserve better service than a CPU customer" party line. It's probably the NRSA's vacation too. I'm sure UA has some policy/guidance or for NRSA travel, but from the reactions here, UA should probably revise that policy to have NRSAs assist customers with luggage, clean bathrooms after customers, etc.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
According to Seatguru, the only UA51 with row 18 has a 2-3-2 config in that row where DEF are in the middle section. Why didn't you just book D and F to get both aisle seats if that was what you wanted? Most people would not want to pick that E seat. And if you later want to sit together, most people in that E seat would be happy to switch to an aisle seat.

I am also not understanding "forcibly asked". What exactly did he or she say? In what tone and to whom? That information would be helpful for an accurate understanding of the event. Also, was your gf already seated in 18D and was the door already closed?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
My 2 cents? NOBODY should relocate PERIOD. If you could not book the right seats for you at the time you did then book a different flight.

Recently on a flight where NINE different people in 2 rows (so 12 seats total) all had to play musical chairs during boarding. I was not one but as the aisle person I had to get up 7 different times in boarding to let people in and out. The longest flight in the world is 18 hours, and I am confident 99% of the world can go without being directly seated to somebody for that amount of time....
bakster21 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by vincentharris
My 2 cents? NOBODY should relocate PERIOD. If you could not book the right seats for you at the time you did then book a different flight.
You have no idea what this thread is about. Non-revs are not assigned seats until the last minute. They cannot book a seat on any UA flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.