Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

F seats disappearing just before T-24 hrs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Amb, HH Diamond, Hertz PC

Hey all. Encountered a situation twice in the last month that I just can’t figure out, was hoping somewhere here could help.

Been on the p.s. LAX-EWR route, trying to upgrade with an RPU. At T-30 (ish) hours, UA shows 8 seats available. Six hours later when the flight opens for checkin that’s suddenly gone down to 0. In both cases I was in a pretty high fare class (E), and am 1K, so I find it hard to imagine THAT many people beat me out in status/fare class. It was before checkin was available (except for people on connections I guess) so seems TOD buy-ups likely aren’t the cause.

Just trying to ubderetand this better, as it seems lately my odds of success with RPUs on this route have gone to hell.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:47 am

I bet it was TOD upgrade and maybe GS.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I'm thinking TOD upgrade from people with earlier connections.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
TODs are the cause as they aren't hindered by check-in time constraints. They sold 8 @ $299 and pissed off a ton more elites in the process. This is how UA (and to be fair, the other big 2 also) operates now.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
On this route it could very well be waitlisted GS upgrades processing. UA will frequently run a sweep around T-25.

Also don't underestimate last minute sales.

Though of course UA leads the industry in selling upgrades out from under its elites so that is always a plausible explanation as well.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:06 am

Someone posted earlier that often flights go to F2 at T-24. It's possible that UA clears upgrades at T-24 but doesn't sell out the whole cabin.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
TODs are the cause as they aren't hindered by check-in time constraints. They sold 8 @ $299 and pissed off a ton more elites in the process. This is how UA (and to be fair, the other big 2 also) operates now.
Not AA.. they haven't figured out day of departure upgrades. Technically there is the LFBU program, but it's so uncommon it may as well not exist.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by roder
Not AA.. they haven't figured out day of departure upgrades. Technically there is the LFBU program, but it's so uncommon it may as well not exist.
Good point re: AA, they are much more limited than UA and to a lesser degree, DL.

My main point is that TODs are no longer day of departure sales. They can be made available weeks in advance, as reported here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...re-tod-84.html
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I believe this is correct. As a GS for over a decade, I have missed upgrades more times this past quarter than the previous 10 years.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: united
United is rarely going to give something away to an elite that it can sell.

That is the reality of modern FF programs.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by roder
Not AA.. they haven't figured out day of departure upgrades.
DL doesn't really do it within T-24, either. Their discounted buy-up offers are pre check-in.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
DL doesn't really do it within T-24, either. Their discounted buy-up offers are pre check-in.
I agree with you 100%, with the only exception being that DL makes gate sell announcements if F is wide open. I scored one several weeks ago to MSY that way. YMMV.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:23 am

I fly LAX-EWR almost every other week for the past couple years and haven't gotten a discounted $299 TOD offer on this route in a long time. I called and asked a couple times why I don't see TOD offers they told me they don't really offer it on this route (of course could be a lie they are telling a 1K) but I can vouch for my coworkers and I that fly this routinely that they don't offer it much on EWR-LAX/LAX-EWR. My guess you are seeing GS upgades, SDC from confirmed business class passengers, or people actually buying the fares.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:28 am

Good point re: AA, they are much more limited than UA and to a lesser degree, DL.

My main point is that TODs are no longer day of departure sales. They can be made available weeks in advance, as reported here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...re-tod-84.html
Indeed. For my SAT-IAD trip 2 weeks from now, I got an e-mail four days ago offering me a reasonable price for the upgrade, and I took it. I'm pretty sure they have figured out what I will and won't pay for.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by drew in the air
I fly LAX-EWR almost every other week for the past couple years and haven't gotten a discounted $299 TOD offer on this route in a long time. I called and asked a couple times why I don't see TOD offers they told me they don't really offer it on this route (of course could be a lie they are telling a 1K) but I can vouch for my coworkers and I that fly this routinely that they don't offer it much on EWR-LAX/LAX-EWR. My guess you are seeing GS upgades, SDC from confirmed business class passengers, or people actually buying the fares.
There's another thread that speaks to this topic (1k/GS not getting best u/g offers), which I tend to believe. I didn't get the $299 offers until I dropped from Plat to Silver when I moved a majority of my flying over to VX and now AS after the Dao incident.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.