Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Scott Kirby United's problem?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by hoshattack
I'm interested to see if some of the other LCCs turn into more of a legacy airline to fill the void of UA's incompetence
None of them have international experience, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TexasAggie02
I justI was on a flight from LHR to IAH this week in faux Polaris on a 772 and the woman sitting next to me asked the purser where the Polaris seats were. He responded with "It's Polaris service, but the new seats are only a few aircraft, this is a legacy Continental aircraft" . She was pretty bummed since she specifically bought into the marketing material that she was getting on a new or retrofitted Polaris hard product. So they won the revenue from her on that single ticket, but she told me she wouldn't fly United again and felt deceived.
Thats got nothing to do with Kirby.

For those with short memories, United announced Polaris (with its wildly over-expectations) in the spring of 2016. Kirby joined in August.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller

Thats got nothing to do with Kirby.

For those with short memories, United announced Polaris (with its wildly over-expectations) in the spring of 2016. Kirby joined in August.
Kirby could very well be the problem with the implementation of Polaris. Just because if was announced before he joined doesn't mean that he can't mess with it. He wants to cut costs any way that he can get greedy hands on. Putting the brakes on Polaris would be easy for him to do.
iluv2fly and TexasAggie02 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by DCP2016
Then, pray tell me, what is the root of UA's problems at the moment? Smisek wasn't evil, but the new UA proved too much for him. Munoz is decent, but UA will and is be run into the ground by Kirby. His buddy Parker is already doing a find job of running AA into the ground.

UA, DL, and AA are legacy carries and should be treated as such. We have many options for LCC's in this country, and after all the recent mergers the legacy carriers should not be struggling AT ALL or trying to compete with the ULCC's. I really do hope this comes back to bite all of them in the you know what. I just hope AA and UA get the sense soon to dump Parker and Kirby before it's too late.
The problems of UA go back to at least the merger, which was handled terribly. But even before then it's not like the PMUA and PMCO structures were soaring butterflies without flaw. They had their own issues; many of which the new merged airline inherited. How many of United's P.R. disasters were caused by frontline staff who've been with United a lot longer than Kirby?

Munoz was at the reigns truly for less than a year, Kirby has been there for a year and a half. A lot of initiatives, projects, strategies at major entities like United Continental are long-term projects to which several people contribute and which thus can't be attributed to a single individual. I fail to see as of today what Kirby himself is supposed to have done to make United worse since August 2016. I'm not a United fan by any means, it's been a pretty bad airline from a customer P.O.V. for as long as I can remember. I'm just bemused by all those sweeping negative statements about people made by people who either don't have knowledge of the specifics or keep them to themselves (in which case it's impossible to seriously weigh the merit of their complaints).
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

Agreed 100%. And it would also be a bonus to not chase the cheapo passengers as you would have fewer fights and drunken brawls onboard. The legacies should provide a comfortable and civilized experience.
Is it possible that one of the discoveries the airline industry has made over the last 15 or so years is that the business travel market has become less profitable (because corporations are more cost-conscious about travel) while the "cheapo passenger" market, as you put it, can make an airline a lot of money (Spirit is VERY profitable)?

That single explanation coheres with a heck of a lot of airline behavior, from bag fees to selling discounted TOD upgrades rather than giving them to frequent flyers to dollarizing frequent flyer miles to diminishing soft product in domestic F.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
While I'm certainly not a fan of UA as of late, I think Kirby is doing exactly what he was hired to do. He is growing the airline and fixing some of the mistakes made by Smisek and Co. He's also telling us the real state of the business, and a lot of things we don't want to hear. In so many words, he admits the dense Economy configuration sucks, while also telling us it enables the cheap tickets most people value. As others have mentioned, his soft skills are clearly lacking (the bonus debacle) and he seems to be undoing a lot of the good will Oscar built with the employees. Oscar needs to step up and take charge of that arena before things really go bad.

Now that I've hit 2MM, I have a lot of decisions moving forward. While fiercely loyal to UA, I'm sadly resigned to the fact my old airline is gone. I've heard good things about DL, but know they are also responsible for leading the devaluation of frequent flyer programs. I seriously doubt there is a better choice with domestic carriers, but I'll fly international with other Star airlines whenever possible.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dilanesp
Is it possible that one of the discoveries the airline industry has made over the last 15 or so years is that the business travel market has become less profitable (because corporations are more cost-conscious about travel) while the "cheapo passenger" market, as you put it, can make an airline a lot of money (Spirit is VERY profitable)?

That single explanation coheres with a heck of a lot of airline behavior, from bag fees to selling discounted TOD upgrades rather than giving them to frequent flyers to dollarizing frequent flyer miles to diminishing soft product in domestic F.
I would rather the legacies cut capacity rather than try to fill the plane with cheap clientele. I am not a price sensitive customer and there are plenty of others like me who are willing to pay more to be treated with dignity. It's sad when Southwest leads the way for a coach product. You can't call them the cattle car anymore.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

It's sad when Southwest leads the way for a coach product. You can't call them the cattle car anymore.

Have you actually flown Southwest lately - I have. I didn't appreciate the free for all boarding process - lack of legroom - food - nor lack of decent streaming entertainment.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would guess Kirby has his "airline formula" - squeeze on all passenger and employee costs and maximize revenue. There was the $2 water on HP/US, there was the award fee (even when booked on-line, unless you are elite), the pushing of the credit card application onboard, etc... They did relent quickly on the $2 water so at least they can adapt.

This year will be more challenging since fuel is going up and there is a lot of uncertainty in the economy. So, get the scissors out!

The way I am looking at this is that he will eventually have things his way (it is all about that extra cent of earning next quarter, not what is good for the long run) and squeeze Oscar out.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:49 pm

Kirby could very well be the problem with the implementation of Polaris. Just because if was announced before he joined doesn't mean that he can't mess with it. He wants to cut costs any way that he can get greedy hands on. Putting the brakes on Polaris would be easy for him to do.
And precisely how do you suggest he “messed with it”? The slow delivery of the seats? Zodiac. Perhaps Kirby deviously intervened in the choice of ice cream bowls to cut costs? I rather doubt that.

As as I said earlier, Kirby is the whipping boy for United’s “failure”, except there isn’t a failure.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 23, 2018 at 12:09 am Reason: discuss the issue; not the poster(s)
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Have you actually flown Southwest lately - I have. I didn't appreciate the free for all boarding process - lack of legroom - food - nor lack of decent streaming entertainment.
As a 3MM nor would you. You live a gilded life on UA, but for infrequent travelers WN is an attractive option. WN beats UA E- and for $15 early bird all but guarantees window or aisle. WN's boarding process is a more civilized experience than being in group 4/5 on United. Additionally there is more likely to be overhead bin space on WN if you are boarding towards the end.
BearX220 likes this.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Mar 22, 2018 at 11:58 pm
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another thing, I think if it was not the scandal, the UA BOD would have kept Smisek. So, don't count them getting rid of Kirby.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller

And precisely how do you suggest he “messed with it”? The slow delivery of the seats? Zodiac. Perhaps Kirby deviously intervened in the choice of ice cream bowls to cut costs? I rather doubt that.

As as I said earlier, Kirby is the whipping boy for United’s “failure”, except there isn’t a failure. It’s just pot shot time for curmudgeons.
Kirby has a bad reputation. The sins he committed at his other airlines are absolutely relative to his judgment at UA.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:51 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
but for infrequent travelers WN is an attractive option. WN beats UA E- and for $15 early bird all but guarantees window or aisle.
Maybe - but I've never thought of the United forum or flyertalk as a place frequented by infrequent fliers - sure, if you are on the back of the bus so to speak on United - it doesn't matter much who you fly.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:11 am

Kirby has a bad reputation. The sins he committed at his other airlines are absolutely relative to his judgment at UA.
You mean the “sins” of growing HP so that acquired US, and made that airline strong so that it acquired AA?

That looks like like a pretty GOOD business record in the airline industry to me.

Yes now in the Big 3 there’s a higher level to be held accountable to. That said he’s not the #1 at UA (Oscar is) and if he does get the top job he’ll need help to cover Oscar’s strengths. See my first post on this thread.

The “bad reputation” is imaginary. It’s created by those that want to put down a business and so narrow in on one person to create a “hate figure”.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.