Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Suspends Cargo Program for Pets (PetSafe)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Chicago Tribune
United Airlines is suspending new reservations for pets traveling in the cargo compartment after three dogs were loaded onto wrong planes last week and a fourth died in an overhead bin.

United will honor reservations that have already been confirmed for PetSafe, its program for pets traveling in cargo, the airline said Tuesday. The suspension does not affect pets traveling with their owners in the cabin.

“We are conducting a thorough and systematic review of our program for pets that travel in the cargo compartment to make improvements that will ensure the best possible experience for our customers and their pets,” United spokeswoman Maggie Schmerin said in an emailed statement.

The airline said it would complete the review by May 1.
WSJ: 'United Suspends Cargo Program for Pets' (paywall)
Under fire for its handling of pets, United Continental Holdings Inc will stop taking reservations for its live-animal shipping program at least until May 1 while it reviews the program.
United will continue to transport animals with existing reservations during the program’s suspension. A spokesman said the review would be conducted with independent animal-safety experts.
Print Wikipost

United Suspends Cargo Program for Pets (PetSafe)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bhunt
https://www.military.com/daily-news/...pets-guam.html

United just can't win whatever they do.
Let Uncle Sam figure it out. Again, pets are a privilege not a right.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by warrenw
Is it more or less traumatic than separating from your pet forever? Remember, they don't understand why you're gone, just that you abandoned them. They'll look for you forever, and you just won't ever show up again.

To me, 12 hours in a cargo hold for a lifetime of their happiness is well worth it.
I shared my opinion and you have yours. Airlines need to make decisions based not only on individual customer preferences but also what’s practical and feasible.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Anybody who suggests that moving an animal is simple, does not understand what is involved. If one drops a suitcase and it is destroyed, that is a simple dollar calculation and the passenger is made whole through a payment. UA and other carriers do what they can to prevent loss and damage, but everyone accepts that there is a risk and it is monetized. Not so for pets. It won't do to have UA send a text saying, "sorry your pet died enroute because we dopped its crate. We think that the bet is worth $500 and will send you a check next week."

If there is a market for pet transport, especially long-haul, someone will fill it. But, it will likely include:

1. Specialized crating.
2. Care at departure, connections and arrival.
3. Medical review at the point of departure.
4. RFID tracking.

All of this is expensive and resource-intensive. But, customers cannot have it both ways. Pressure to keep fees low means a lack of safety for the pet. Too much loss of safety and there is a mess for the carrier.

None of this has anything to do with plain incompetence, e.g., stuffing the pet in the OH where it suffocates.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Moderator Note

This a the United forum and discussion here is scoped to be United related. Please focus discussions on United, the PetSafe program, the temprorary suspenion of the PatSafe program for this thread. The issue of if pet travel is appropriate or not is a good OMNI topic but here we discuss issue related uniquely to United, not broader social issues.

Thank you for your cooperation

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Originally Posted by PaxALotl
It's amazing to me when people say that United (or any airline) HAS TO figure out a way to transport pets safely,. Says who? I have moved with pets before and it's no picnic, even with air travel. I've also had to go by road and that's inconvenient. So, yea, it would be great if the airlines sorted out a way to make it safe, but do they have to?

I don't really think so., If there is a market for this and people are willing to pay enough to make it work, a solution will emerge. But, saying that airlines have to guarantee safe passage for pets reminds of those people who, when there is a delay, go to the gate agent and say, "But you don't understand, I HAVE to in Cleveland tonight!

Airlines deal with the public and they can't satisfy everyone. I suspect that these incidents have been happening for a while, and we only recently hear about them so much because people love to whip out their cellphones any time something bad happens on an airline. I'm not saying the airlines arne't making mistakes, but it's crazy to look at this as a simple issue where there is a simple answer.

I suspect that airlines will start dropping out of pet travel, or jack up the price. Anyone who is traveling with pets enough for this to be a major problem is an outlier.
Originally Posted by fly18725
My opinion is that it is traumatic for the pet to be transported in the hold and placed in quarantine.
It is traumatic for pets to fly around at all.

If I knew I was likely to be moving around a lot, or moving to a foreign country, I would not own a dog. The presumption that it is kind to the pet to be flying her around all the time seems wrong to me, and strikes me as being more about the owner than about the pet.
kale73 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Is it more or less traumatic than separating from your pet forever? Remember, they don't understand why you're gone, just that you abandoned them. They'll look for you forever, and you just won't ever show up again.

To me, 12 hours in a cargo hold for a lifetime of their happiness is well worth it.
Im sitting here with my 9 week old Boxer on my lap. I get crap from friends for buying from a breeder & not adopting. In a close group of 5 couples there are 8 adopted dogs between them. The dogs are perfectly fine & happy, they aren't sullen or spastic running around looking for their first owners.

Originally Posted by dilanesp

If I knew I was likely to be moving around a lot, or moving to a foreign country, I would not own a dog. The presumption that it is kind to the pet to be flying her around all the time seems wrong to me, and strikes me as being more about the owner than about the pet.
This is why I did not get a dog for the last 4 years when I really wanted one.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by amtrakusa
how is transporting a dog in a crate not a rocket science? it is not simple. you have no idea what it takes. it is not like UA crews actively sabotage the dog or beat them to death. Dogs do die flying on airplanes. people don't understand it very well. there is always a small risk involved transporting live animals. not all dogs are the same. Some very healthy dogs react differently when put in the hold.

to put the DOT numbers in perspective, you have to neutralize all kinds of external factors, what kind of dogs is it (does UA take in higher % of at risk dogs?), what kind of trips is it? is UA trips on average longer and more complicated, more international routing, more connections? It is not as simple as comparing the odd across different airlines.

the odd of dogs getting killed on United is very very small. I suspect the law of small numbers is at play here. There is quite a bit random variability. just like talking about aviation safety in general. For example, out of billion passengers transported, 50 people died last year, 150 people died this year, with this can you claim this year is 3 times as unsafe as last year? of course not. anyone with some good statistical education knows it is more complicated than that.

it is possible UA need to change certain procedures, maybe having a more rigorous intake exam, etc. (just take less dogs, anything that doesn't look good, refuse transport). However, people on this forum and on the blogsphere, without any specialized knowledge and detailed data, are all ........ting here.
It's clear that flying with a pet on UA is significantly more risky than other options, so the odds of something going wrong are very, very high compared with other airlines. The statistics speak for themselves, and I am not going to slice and dice the numbers to give an excuse to United for what is obviously unacceptable performance. Worse, they *have* a program and process, so the high incident rate should not be happening, and I don't believe so many dogs are being transported with health issues, but rather they are being mishandled, either deliberately or through neglect. Apologize all you want, but it's obvious something is going wrong here - and why else would United suspend their program and refuse to carry animals if everything was perfectly fine and just a 'statistical anomaly'?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by geo979
To be unable to distinguish between a human being and a pet is very sad. Fortunately it is an extreme minority view and not at all supported by the laws of this country.
Oh we can all distinguish between but it's an irrelevant distinction in the context of being a source of nuisance. Little kids have done far more to negatively affect my flying experiences than animals (and I suspect this is the majority experience). In fact, I don't recall ever being bothered by an animal on a plane. I certainly will acknowledge that they represent a potential nuisance for people with allergies whereas little kids can be a nuisance to anyone who isn't deaf and blind.

The problems in pet and juvenile human transport are similar. It's about negotiating the right of people to transport something by air to suit their personal preference vs the rights of the rest of the passengers to have an acceptable flight experience. Animals in some way are the easier issue to tackle because they cause no problems to the other passengers when in the cargo hold, whereas kids can only be transported in the cabin where they are a potential problem for everyone.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta DM CO PE OZ GE AMTRAK
Originally Posted by bocastephen
It's clear that flying with a pet on UA is significantly more risky than other options, so the odds of something going wrong are very, very high compared with other airlines. The statistics speak for themselves, and I am not going to slice and dice the numbers to give an excuse to United for what is obviously unacceptable performance. Worse, they *have* a program and process, so the high incident rate should not be happening, and I don't believe so many dogs are being transported with health issues, but rather they are being mishandled, either deliberately or through neglect. Apologize all you want, but it's obvious something is going wrong here - and why else would United suspend their program and refuse to carry animals if everything was perfectly fine and just a 'statistical anomaly'?
what is obvious? nothing is obvious. if you are not going to slice and dice the numbers. unwilling, or unable. then don't form so many conclusions.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by dilanesp
It is traumatic for pets to fly around at all.

There is some truth to this. I travel a lot and have 2 homes. So, I no longer have dogs (and I love dogs!).
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: UA Silver
so the high incident rate
The incident rate is low. United's incident rate is higher than some airlines but even so the incident rate is still quite low. Less than 1 incident per 10,000.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
....The statistics speak for themselves, and I am not going to slice and dice the numbers to give an excuse to United for what is obviously unacceptable performance.
I have no idea how you can't slice and dice the statistics...

Worse, they *have* a program and process, so the high incident rate should not be happening, and I don't believe so many dogs are being transported with health issues, but rather they are being mishandled, either deliberately or through neglect.
...but can make such broad, hand-waving generalizations without looking at the details. Anything else, is a waste. If you don't know, you don't know.

Again UA is damned if they do and damned if they don't.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Wait - what - did I read everyone's favorite airline, Delta cancelled service earlier this year? Shouldn't United follow?
To correct the misinformation:

" Delta does not accept pets as checked baggage, but will continue to transport allowable pets in aircraft cabins. Delta will also accept shipment of pets for travel within the United States as freight through Delta Cargo." https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...trictions.html
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver

If the pet was put up for adoption, I have no doubt some on this board would recommend the new pet owner should schedule the pet for 6-12 months of weekly sessions with a well respected pet psychiatrist in order to help the pet recover from the deep emotional scars, depression, and nightmares resulting from the abandonment. But I will let you in on a little secret. After the new owner has fed the mutt its second can of dog food, that dog will have forgotten the original owners ever existed.
JVPhoto likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by PaxALotl
There is some truth to this. I travel a lot and have 2 homes. So, I no longer have dogs (and I love dogs!).
And traveling (and working) a lot is exactly why this dog lover volunteers at an animal shelter. Not to "stray" off topic, but I once drove a fellow volunteer to LAX so that she could accompany a dog (in cargo) on an LAX-BOS PMUA redeye, to its new home in Maine. The dog actually was fine when they landed.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Im sitting here with my 9 week old Boxer on my lap. I get crap from friends for buying from a breeder & not adopting. In a close group of 5 couples there are 8 adopted dogs between them. The dogs are perfectly fine & happy, they aren't sullen or spastic running around looking for their first owners.
I adopted, and it took a few months to "get over" her previous owner, but my dog gets to the point where she has a hard time eating if I'm not around. To understand their feelings just based on "oh they chased a ball today" isn't accurate or relevant...

Originally Posted by geo979
If the pet was put up for adoption, I have no doubt some on this board would recommend the new pet owner should schedule the pet for 6-12 months of weekly sessions with a well respected pet psychiatrist in order to help the pet recover from the deep emotional scars, depression, and nightmares resulting from the abandonment. But I will let you in on a little secret. After the new owner has fed the mutt its second can of dog food, that dog will have forgotten the original owners ever existed.
Given the words you use such as "mutt" I have the feeling that you don't even own a dog, in which case I don't think that your opinions are relevant in this thread...

People in this thread need to realize that pets aren't just "an animal" to some people, but rather a part of the family. You may not agree, but you need to understand that to some people leaving their dog behind is the same thing as leaving a child behind. To write off how people feel doesn't get us anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.