Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United mistakenly flies Kansas-bound dog to Japan (& vice versa)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United mistakenly flies Kansas-bound dog to Japan (& vice versa)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:31 pm
Suspended

A change that you will like
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:44 pm

I would love to see pics of the dog enjoying the hell out of the private jet ride.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Video and story of the reunification in Wichita tonight.

Dog now in Kansas after United mistakenly sent him to Japan | The Wichita Eagle
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bhunt
Video and story of the reunification in Wichita tonight.

Dog now in Kansas after United mistakenly sent him to Japan The Wichita Eagle
The article mentions that the dogs were switched during a flight connection in DEN. Something I hadn’t known before. I guess we should all be glad the DEN catering operation is still down or they’d have been someone’s dinner.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:32 pm

The dogs were overnighted in DEN, and in such cases are picked up by an offsite dog daycare place that United contracts. It was there that they were placed in the wrong kennels before being dropped back off for their flights the next day.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:31 pm

Wonder if that Kennel in Denver has enough insurance to cover the cost of the mix up? lol
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Maybe dogs will no longer stay overnight in Denver, at least in that kennel.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:11 am

WOW!

Priced what a similar sized private jet NRT-ICT would cost... $120k one-way.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by bhunt
WOW!

Priced what a similar sized private jet NRT-ICT would cost... $120k one-way.
A bargain for UA compared to the bad publicity ensuing if 10-year-old Irgo had expired on the flight!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kind of scratching my head why a family would send the dog as cargo with an overnight connection? Surely they would have had to have known the timings.
Driving (25 hours per Google Maps, so 2-3 days) would seem to have been a more prudent choice, for the dog. Would also save on the costs of shipping at a car!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by milepig

The article mentions that the dogs were switched during a flight connection in DEN. Something I hadn’t known before. I guess we should all be glad the DEN catering operation is still down or they’d have been someone’s dinner.
Originally Posted by DENviaLAX
The dogs were overnighted in DEN, and in such cases are picked up by an offsite dog daycare place that United contracts. It was there that they were placed in the wrong kennels before being dropped back off for their flights the next day.
So the plot thickens and United is being blamed for an error made by a contract facility? It wasn't even an error by UA baggage handlers but the doggie daycare put them in the wrong carriers? Frankly, I'm not surprised; I don't trust anything out of or going through DEN.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 16, 2018 at 1:39 pm Reason: OT; OMNI content removed
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Nicoolio
- still 9x more dead dogs on UA that any other airline --
Could this be due to (binomial?) probability? The number of deaths is NOT linearly proportional to the number of pets flown. The probability of a pet death increases with higher number of pets flown. A person driving 200 miles daily is more than 2x more likely to get a ticket than if he drove 100 miles daily.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
HUH? Suppose two airlines, A and B, have the same probability of killing a pet, but airline A serves ten times as many pets per year. Let's suppose that the expected number of dog deaths per year on A is ten while it's only one on B. Now suppose that, due to random errors, one more dog dies on each airline. It looks like the probability of a pet death has risen by only 10% for A while it has doubled on B, the smaller airline.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Suppose two airlines, A and B, have the same probability of killing a pet, but airline A serves ten times as many pets per year.
A and B can't have the same probability in your example since A serves 10x more than B.

Airline C flies 100,000 pets annually, 2 dies. Airline D flies 5x more pets, or 500,000. Based on 2 deaths per 100,000 flown on C, you may think that 10 deaths would be expected (linearly proportional) for airline D, but that's incorrect per (binomial?) probability theory. Airline D should expect more than 10 deaths, say 16, because of the greater number of pets flown.

Vaguely remember learning in school but it was a long time ago and I may have been asleep.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Emerald Club
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I am hoping that United stops transporting pets and animals soon , with the exception of true service animals with all the appropriate paperwork. The number of pets on my recent flights is getting ridiculous (and making breathing challenging at times).
These preventable mistakes which have been publicized will likely increase pets in the cabin - owners will understandably be using these incidents as excuses to justify why pets should be with them in cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.