Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Northeast Winter Storm Weather Waiver, 7-8 March 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Northeast Winter Storm Weather Waiver, 7-8 March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Curious as to whether or not this pushes into Friday at all...flying EWR-LAX in the evening. I think things should be fine by then. Dare I say that it is times like this where I am glad that UA doesn't fly through JFK, given the debacles it has had this winter...
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Within 3 minutes of it being listed my preferred flight was sold out.

they wouldn’t rebook me to the later part of my trip without an upfharge since it’s an advanced waiver.

got to wait until it’s delayed or cancelled for them to do anything.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:26 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Curious as to whether or not this pushes into Friday at all...flying EWR-LAX in the evening. I think things should be fine by then. Dare I say that it is times like this where I am glad that UA doesn't fly through JFK, given the debacles it has had this winter...
wondering the same, flying IAH-PHL on Friday morning on UX. Would really suck to get canceled.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Thursday?

Important trip leaving EWR Thursday evening. The plane making this flight is supposed to be flying outside the stormy area and leaving for EWR around 12 noon ET and then arriving in the evening for my flight.

If it snows 6-12" on Wednesday, it is likely that the airport, if closed, would reopen by Thursday noon? Thursday forecast is 44 degree high so snow could melt fast.

Restated question: If it snows a lot on Wednesday, is it likely that the airport will be open by Thursday noon? Am I doomed?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I am confused by United's weather waiver. A family member booked a flight for EWR-ORD on March 7th back in January. They called today to get rebooked for flights this afternoon because of weather for tomorrow and they charged $99.50 to get booked on a flight EWR-DCA-ORD. Why have a weather waiver, if they are going to charge a fee?

Edit: I've found new meaning to the word idiot for my family - so they google'd United phone number, the first few results are ads on mobile for "travel consultants". They called and got IG air accessed her reservation and made the change. They charged her 99.60 for this change. Unreal.

Last edited by Youngmiler; Mar 6, 2018 at 10:55 am
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus; UA Gold Elite; Marriott Platinum Elite
The travel waiver lets you rebook within their set limits without being charged a fee. If you go online and choose to change your flight, it automatically shows you the options and the fee, which is listed as $0.

I doubt that EWR will be closed on Thursday. The snow stops earlier Wed night, so they should have plenty of time to clean things up by the morning. I switched a Wed flight to 6am Thursday. Never know for sure, but I think it should be ok.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Important trip leaving EWR Thursday evening. The plane making this flight is supposed to be flying outside the stormy area and leaving for EWR around 12 noon ET and then arriving in the evening for my flight.

If it snows 6-12" on Wednesday, it is likely that the airport, if closed, would reopen by Thursday noon? Thursday forecast is 44 degree high so snow could melt fast.

Restated question: If it snows a lot on Wednesday, is it likely that the airport will be open by Thursday noon? Am I doomed?
The airport will not be "closed". But relying on plane information this far ahead of a storm is not going to be accurate. Most of the disruptions are going to be caused by limited airport operations due to weather, so they will be cancelling and delaying many, many flights. They may steal "your" plane for a different use at any point in the event.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Looks like most regionals have been cancelled for the rest of today. So far, only a few long hauls seem to have been cancelled.

We were booked BRU-EWR for tomorrow (8 Mar), which probably would have been fine, but the aircraft is supposed to be coming from EWR tonight. Called to see if we could rebook. Got a real nice agent who was able to reroute us to IAD. Since we live almost exactly halfway between EWR and IAD, this works great for us.

For those of you in the upper northeast, please stay safe. Hope this storm is not as nasty as the last one.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:15 am

EZE-IEWR diverted to IAH this morning.

Not sure if it was in anticipation or actual conditions.

Other mainline flights seem to be on time this morning and FAA not showing major delays at any of the NYC airports. Guess snow is melting on the pavement.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
Its very very windy but united seems to be handling that with mainline, so far.

The heavy snow 1-3 inches per hour looks like it's just starting to hit the Newark area now, that on top of current winds looks like visibility is about to go down quick.

Anyone on the ground, united seems to have gotten alot of mainline fights out today and alot still scheduled to depart even with the heavy snow entering combined with the winds.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:11 pm

EWR has temporarily closed runways as of ~1:50pm due to the volume of snow coming down. They’re assessing whether they can reopen.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bdlman
Its very very windy but united seems to be handling that with mainline, so far.

The heavy snow 1-3 inches per hour looks like it's just starting to hit the Newark area now, that on top of current winds looks like visibility is about to go down quick.

Anyone on the ground, united seems to have gotten alot of mainline fights out today and alot still scheduled to depart even with the heavy snow entering combined with the winds.
I was very optimistic based on the number of flights they got out this morning, although I am currently on 557 and we are circling along with what looks to be a half dozen other widebodies... assuming based on your report the visibility has likely reduced.

*crosses fingers for no diversion*
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:31 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
I was very optimistic based on the number of flights they got out this morning, although I am currently on 557 and we are circling along with what looks to be a half dozen other widebodies... assuming based on your report the visibility has likely reduced.

*crosses fingers for no diversion*
wel unfortunately looks like you guys are diverting to CLE, but looking at your handle, hopefully that means you can just go home!
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:42 pm

EWR runways closed, they cant keep up with snow removal.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
Runways seem to be back open 1022 from Panama City just landed. Pretty good this time around they are keeping up with the hard snow and wind. Just hope they keep them open, obviously they will need to close to clear snow at times with this wind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.