Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Weird OLCI & Mobile Notification Behavior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC

This behavior has happened to me on four consecutive trips so I'm starting to think it's a "feature" - here's the sequence:
  • Start OLCI via mobile app right at T-24 (or in some cases T-23:30 etc)
  • Go through normal check-in process/seat selection etc.
  • As soon as I click to finalize check-in, but before it's completed, I get a text notification informing me that check-in is available
I don't get notifications UNTIL I've started the process; like, "Hey, here's United reminding you to do something that you're currently doing!"

Anybody else seeing this?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Yea. I don’t know for sure when UA sends a text out about checking in, but I’ve checked in and completed the process hours before I get a text ‘reminding’ me to check in.

Its probably just because the text is automated. I don’t know the exact time when it’s programmed to go out.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I don't this is at all unexpected. You're starting OLCI right at the time is opens up.
United probably begins to send out the "available" messages a bit after the actual time - I don't remember ever getting one on the dot.
Those messages are automated, and I don't think there's any real time connection to the OLCI module to stop the message once you're checked and certainly not while you're in the process of doing so.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Seems like coincidence. I've noticed the check-in texts/notifications come around T-23:30 lately, too, as opposed to right at T-24.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I generally get those emails after I've already completed check-in.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I generally get those emails after I've already completed check-in.
Makes me nostalgic for "Mr. Sleezy Update" who'd routinely send me an automated flight cancellation message hours after I'd been rebooked and was sitting home in my living room. I actually had a similar one a couple weeks ago. DEN-ORD flight cancelled, I got on an earlier one by sheer luck and timing. Hours later I'm at home and I get a text telling me I'd been rebooked onto a flight the next morning.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
IME the checkin notices come around T-23:40 to T-23, regardless if I have checked in or not.

Suspect coincidence

What would be the purpose of sending a notice only triggered by the start pf check-in?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
IME the checkin notices come around T-23:40 to T-23, regardless if I have checked in or not.

Suspect coincidence

What would be the purpose of sending a notice only triggered by the start pf check-in?
It's very likely coincidence, but the timing was near real-time so I couldn't rule out some weird systemic issue off the bat. I'm just glad mobile check-in works pretty smoothly most of the time!
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Suspect coincidence

To remind those of us who have multiple people on one PNR to finish checking in Cause I'll select new seats if better ones open up and then just stop.

Holding off so the PNRs don't split / for that last upgrade! #WaitingForThatUpgrade

#AndStillWaiting
Old Mar 9, 2018, 7:36 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Those check-in reminder text messages come around T-23, so it's a timing thing.

If OP wants to test the theory/conspiracy, check in at T-22 or later and see what happens. Based on my personal experience, those text messages will still show up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.