Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Gate Agents filling E+ before E- with BG5 and Standbys?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Agents filling E+ before E- with BG5 and Standbys?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
If they need to move someone up into E+ without payment, they should find a way to offer that to higher fare (Y, B, M, U, E fares, say) or *G pax.
They already do this Link to Blog. Perhaps they need to adjust their algorithm. Of course, the risk is you move too many people and E+ ends up fuller than it otherwise would be. One solution is offer E+ as first come first served. E.g. Solicit 30 pax when you need 15. Guarantees you'll free up exactly 15 white seats but might tick some people off in the process. Or doing rolling solicitations 15, then 5 more, then 5 more...

And I think E- should be hardcoded for BE pax (not regular pax) but we all know that's not happening! Maybe. Idk. UA wants to be punitive but that doesn't mean we should. As a friend says: Kindness is Free.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Yup, all part of the tradeoffs we have to make. These days, I tend to choose Row 12 or Row 20 aisles if I can get them. Recline is a non-issue for me and I have the best chance of an open E+ middle there. Most GA's fill E+ front-to-back so if they do end up assigning middles, that's typically the best chance.

The downside of Row 12 or 20 is the (outside) possibility that the burgers are gone by the time the cart gets to me. Again, that's the tradeoff.
I had to laugh because this is exactly my thought process and dilemma, burger concern and all!
dmurphynj likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rxziebel
I would agree except that can you imagine the chaos with moving already seated passengers to make room for those with lower fares and no seat assignment? There is no way the gate agent has the time to do all that and still have an on-time departure. Once the plane is boarded and they confirm the number of empty seats, there is no way to start moving people based on fare or status. Assign empty seats and get the plane closed and departed.
Can absolutely imagine, but why wait that long? UA uses enough technology that 90%+ can be done prior to the gate. They know the loads, how many are in BE, how many E-/E+ seats are left, how many are booked in Y, B, M, U, E classes, how many *Gs, etc. sure, you can have things change with last minute bookings, irrops, etc. but a ton of it is already In place and not changing. Many already check in online, using the app or at the kiosk. These tools can already ask things like ‘would you be interested in volunteering your seat and taking another flight’ - there’s no reason why it can’t say ‘congratulations - you have the opportunity to select a seat free of charge in our economy plus section - would you like to take advantage of this option, then show the customer an E+ seat map, and even allow an option, if the customer doesn’t like those options to select ‘no thanks - I’ll keep my original seats’. Could even try the upsell first, then if they decline, give this option.

And technology these days can dynamically manage, by flight, how many and which customers get this option. It likely wouldn’t be able to handle 100% of the seating, but enough where the remainder could be handled at the gate before boarding with just a bit of effort. It would likely take some time to get the exact balance right, but in today’s world, certainly possible to get an algorithm going that does his pretty well.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by simmang
I had to laugh because this is exactly my thought process and dilemma, burger concern and all!
Shoot! I knew I should’ve filed that patent!
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by simmang
This is not a dilemma - it's truth

LAX-CLE on Monday - Seated in 21D on a 738. Row 20 gets the last ciabatta and only 1 burger left by the time I get asked what I want for lunch. FA says only 4 of each were loaded onboard.

Upshot: Sit in the reclining exit row seats and quite likely not get anything left except a snack box on a cross country meal time flight.

David
ContinentalFan and dmurphynj like this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver

Can absolutely imagine, but why wait that long? UA uses enough technology that 90%+ can be done prior to the gate. They know the loads, how many are in BE, how many E-/E+ seats are left, how many are booked in Y, B, M, U, E classes, how many *Gs, etc. sure, you can have things change with last minute bookings, irrops, etc. but a ton of it is already In place and not changing. Many already check in online, using the app or at the kiosk. These tools can already ask things like ‘would you be interested in volunteering your seat and taking another flight’ - there’s no reason why it can’t say ‘congratulations - you have the opportunity to select a seat free of charge in our economy plus section - would you like to take advantage of this option, then show the customer an E+ seat map, and even allow an option, if the customer doesn’t like those options to select ‘no thanks - I’ll keep my original seats’. Could even try the upsell first, then if they decline, give this option.

And technology these days can dynamically manage, by flight, how many and which customers get this option. It likely wouldn’t be able to handle 100% of the seating, but enough where the remainder could be handled at the gate before boarding with just a bit of effort. It would likely take some time to get the exact balance right, but in today’s world, certainly possible to get an algorithm going that does his pretty well.
They would then miss out on the people that do day of departure buy ups to economy plus. I haven't seen statistics on the number (and I doubt I will) of people doing that but it must be non-negligible. This would happen even if people thought they might get it for free - people offered $100 for a guarantee or $0 for a 50% chance at it, most people will likely take the free gamble.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
This is not a dilemma - it's truth

LAX-CLE on Monday - Seated in 21D on a 738. Row 20 gets the last ciabatta and only 1 burger left by the time I get asked what I want for lunch. FA says only 4 of each were loaded onboard.

Upshot: Sit in the reclining exit row seats and quite likely not get anything left except a snack box on a cross country meal time flight.

David
This is why I always fly with at least a protein bar in my bag. Never leave home without it!
Old Feb 7, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
I was standby MCO-ORD recently, jumped to #1 on the list about 50 minutes prior to departure, booked full. Apparently three no-shows. Went up to the GA to let him know I was #1 on the list, he greeted me by name... of the guy now #2 on the list. Meanwhile someone flying what appeared to be positive space but not qualified for a jump seat showed up a bit before T-30 and didn't get the GA's attention until after T-30, which caused some consternation....

I ended up in a middle E- seat while the other two got the aisle E+ seats that freed up. (3 noshows apparently.)
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chermorg
They would then miss out on the people that do day of departure buy ups to economy plus. I haven't seen statistics on the number (and I doubt I will) of people doing that but it must be non-negligible. This would happen even if people thought they might get it for free - people offered $100 for a guarantee or $0 for a 50% chance at it, most people will likely take the free gamble.
maybe, certainly not sure what those numbers are. But that’s why I said, you could even offer the upsell first and then the ‘congrats - select free E+‘ if that offer is declined.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Yup, all part of the tradeoffs we have to make. These days, I tend to choose Row 12 or Row 20 aisles if I can get them. Recline is a non-issue for me and I have the best chance of an open E+ middle there. Most GA's fill E+ front-to-back so if they do end up assigning middles, that's typically the best chance.

The downside of Row 12 or 20 is the (outside) possibility that the burgers are gone by the time the cart gets to me. Again, that's the tradeoff.
I've noticed the same thing. Middle E+ fills from the front- and it is a trade-off between getting off the plane a bit earlier and getting a box I want versus a better chance at an open middle.

I never thought that people would get reassigned seats, just it would be nice of E- filled before E+. I'm more width sensitive than legroom sensitive.
dmurphynj likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
It's ridiculous enough that UA has to close the door 15 minutes prior to departure. If they wanted to fill E- and E+ appropriately, they would have to make the cut-off time 45 minutes before departure.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver

maybe, certainly not sure what those numbers are. But that’s why I said, you could even offer the upsell first and then the ‘congrats - select free E+‘ if that offer is declined.
Think of how many people decline even reasonable offers for first class upgrades for the chance of getting CPU when it's good and they don't care. I feel that if there is *ever* a step in which economy plus is offered for free, it'll become well known and people will wait for it instead of buying it. It's like us silvers waiting until T-24 for it.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I don't know how much I agree. My choice seats are Row 7 or 21 windows. I usually will check to see if I want to do an A/F switch depending on if the middle is open. Once I board, I will usually check the seat map again against the standby list and I will see them fill other rows first (especially non-exit row). I think for the most part, GA's fill E- prior to E+. There are many people that qualify for E+ so I'm not surprised to see E+ get filled as well. The one time I think they will break the BE policy is upgrading families. (IMHO an angry mom is far more likely to complain than a solo no status business traveler and I'm sure the GA will do whatever will result in the least drama/complaints and move things along).

Ofcourse, I have no way of verifying what is in each GA's head. This is just what I have noticed from my flying.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat

I believe they don't do this because it gives the GA some flexibility. What if you're on a separate itin than someone and you're both un-assigned because E is full, yet E+ isn't and one of you is *Gold and one of you isn't. Having some seats available gives the GA some leeway. Even if there aren't two seats available, the GA can compromise and say well you're one row behind in a middle seat, etc etc.

Imagine the next headlines "United booked plane so full I couldn't sit next to my grandmother for 4 hours" or "United didn't let me sit next to my wife and instead let this stranger"
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat
congratulations - you have the opportunity to select a seat free of charge in our economy plus section
As I said in Post #16 (which was in direct response to your previous comment): They Already Do This!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.