Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Boarding Etiquette when arriving late, after your boarding group - opinions wanted

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Etiquette when arriving late, after your boarding group - opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:22 pm

United intends for you to use it or why would they have all different lines?

also they did a test at LAX and others I think where it was the “group boarding now” lane and a bypass lane for previous groups. This is an established perk. No guilt.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:25 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Same as the TSA preCheck and/or "gold track" priority security lanes, if there are designated groups lanes, get in the empty group 1 lane until the gate agent calls you up. Otherwise, get in line with whatever group they're boarding if they're boarding by announcements.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
If I arrive after initial boarding I queue on Zone 1until GA acknowledges me and waves me on. I think cleaner vs. just cutting in front of someone else especially if they have no knowledge of Zone priority.
EWR764 and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
I never get grief for it or feel bad really. Funny enough the only time I’ve ever caught grief is when they call global services boarding and multiple times I’ve heard people in G2, G3 explain loudly something to the effect of “he’s cutting!”
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:35 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by HoyaSFOIAD
I never get grief for it or feel bad really. Funny enough the only time I’ve ever caught grief is when they call global services boarding and multiple times I’ve heard people in G2, G3 explain loudly something to the effect of “he’s cutting!”
lol, I feel sorry for all the G2s stuck with all the Explorers in G2.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: None anymore
I think if there is a dedicated "boarding group 1" lane, then absolutely use it no matter what boarding group they are boarding at the time. That's what they are there for.

I think if it's a regional airport that has only one lane and they "call" out the boarding groups I think it's a bit rude to push past people to get to the front - rather join the back of that line.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:28 am

At LAX gate 70A one Sunday, they only have two lines labeled groups 1 and 2. They boarded 3, 4, and 5 through the group 1 line. Due to rental car return delays, got there after boarding started. No indication of what group was boarding so went to the end of the line. Saw others' boarding passes were for group 4. Luckily, i was in F and had overhead space but they had already started letting coach passengers use the first class bins and they were all full one passenger after me. Wish I had known what was happening to begin with, would have walked up the empty group 2 lane.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I always sit at the end of lane 1 and wait until the GA acknowledges me.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Come to think of it, I actually have gotten bitten by this. I got to my gate for a flight a bit late at ORD last year, as my connection was tight and we were a bit late arriving. Though I was in Y, I had G1 access and waited patiently in line behind the other G1 pax. However, they were boarding Gs 3, 4 and, finally, 5. Other G1 and G2 pax who showed up after me were also confused. The GA explained that there was a problem in first class; so other groups were boarding first. I was getting anxious because I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to find overhead bin space in Y. So, when G1 was finally invited to board, I pointed out to the GA that not all G1 pax are in first. He dismissively replied that he had said earlier that he was only asking G1 F pax to wait (I did not hear that part; I presume that he had made this detail clear only once).

Annoyed as I was, I did find overhead bin space. No harm, no foul after all, I guess.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by chavala
IF there is a separate Group 1 boarding lane, then of course it's not rude. That's my lane, I can go through it whenever I want.
If there is NOT a separate lane, then no way would I cut.
This is what I do. It works well for me and never want to give the appearance of impropriety. Like Jeff Sessions recusing himself in the Russia investigation.^

Originally Posted by Allan38103
OP answered his/her own question. If it makes you feel awkward, don't do it. If it doesn't make you feel bad, then it's OK.

I can't agree with this. He is asking for feedback as he is ambivalent. We all learn the norms one way or another and he is asking for our collective opinions to enlighten him one way or another.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
No need to feel guilty. You have priority. You would have boarded before the other folks if you were early, so you're not "delaying" or "inconveniencing" anyone, just exercising your pecking order. When they board Group 3, they're also boarding anyone remaining from Groups 1 and 2.

That said, no reason to be obnoxious or snotty -- get into the Group 1 lane, don't elbow your way, catch the eye of the GA, who will wave you in.
If they are boarding Group 3 and the line is short, you can hop into it just for convenience, but if it's long, exercise your privilege but noblesse oblige.
HoyaSFOIAD likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:16 am

Like anything, it's all about how you carry yourself.

If you make it awkward or rude, it will be awkward or rude. But it certainly doesn't have to be, even if you cut the line.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Like most of the others on this thread? Just board. Don't be a jerk about it and cut people off / demand the GA stop scanning others / etc. But you don't have to wait for everyone else either...

Life's too short to bother and concern yourself with how others see you. Especially when those others, you will never ever see again for the rest of your life.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by iapetus
Come to think of it, I actually have gotten bitten by this. I got to my gate for a flight a bit late at ORD last year, as my connection was tight and we were a bit late arriving. Though I was in Y, I had G1 access and waited patiently in line behind the other G1 pax. However, they were boarding Gs 3, 4 and, finally, 5. Other G1 and G2 pax who showed up after me were also confused. The GA explained that there was a problem in first class; so other groups were boarding first. I was getting anxious because I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to find overhead bin space in Y. So, when G1 was finally invited to board, I pointed out to the GA that not all G1 pax are in first. He dismissively replied that he had said earlier that he was only asking G1 F pax to wait (I did not hear that part; I presume that he had made this detail clear only once).

Annoyed as I was, I did find overhead bin space. No harm, no foul after all, I guess.
I get being annoyed but this is a clear corner case. I've had the reverse happen more often. For example they are still cleaning the plane but the FA's give the go ahead to board first class while the cleaners finish up in the main cabin.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:35 am

Agreed with most of the other posters. If you are G1 or G2 (and there are separate lines), I would walk to through that line and wait for the GA to call you forward. I haven't done that too many times, but it hasn't been an issue when it has happened. If I don't need the overhead bins, then I generally go with whatever line is boarding.

I wouldn't feel bad about doing it. When I fly other airlines where I do not have status, it happens often enough, and it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.