Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA removing Emotional Support Animals option 28 Feb 2021 per new DOT rules Jan 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2020, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This thread is for discussing the implications of UA's ESA policy changes. This thread is not a discussion of the validity of the ESA concept or rants about those faking ESA (considering the new tighten rules).

UA will be removing the Emotional Support Animal options 28 February 2021 per new guidance from DOT
Emotional support animals
United will continue to accept emotional support animals for reservations booked before January 11, 2021, for travel on or before February 28, 2021, in accordance with rules from the U.S. Department of Transportation. No emotional support animals will be transported after February 28, 2021. United is committed to ensuring safe and accessible travel experiences for all of our customers.

To request to travel with an emotional support animal for travel before February 28, for trips booked on January 10, please send required support documents to [email protected].
U.S. Department of Transportation Announces Final Rule on Traveling by Air with Service Animals -- Dec 2020

an airline non-specific thread such as The Definitive Discussion of Emotional Support Animals on Airlines (Archive -- old DOT rules)
Service and Support Animals in the Cabin (2021 onwards)

========================================= OLD data ================================================== ====

This thread is for discussing what it takes to properly qualify for ESA under UA's rules and what to expect as an ESA traveler. This thread is not a discussion of the validity of the ESA concept or rants about those faking ESA (considering the new tighten rules). Those issues are better raised in
UA's (July 2020)
Emotional support and psychiatric service animals
Emotional support animals and psychiatric service animals provide emotional, psychiatric or cognitive support for individuals with disabilities, but may or may not have task-specific training with respect to a disability.

Emotional support and psychiatric service animals are also accepted in cabin for qualified individuals with a disability if certain information and additional documentation that United requires are provided in advance of travel. In addition to providing a letter from a licensed medical/mental health professional, customers need to provide a veterinary health form documenting the health and vaccination records for the animal as well as confirming that the animal has been trained to behave properly in a public setting. With prior documentation and clearance, a customer may travel with no more than one emotional support animal that is usually either a cat or dog (any other animal species would need to comply with DOT regulations and will be evaluated for accommodation on a case-by-case basis) and must be of a minimum age of four months. If the animal weighs more than 65 pounds, United will evaluate on a case-by-case basis whether the animal may safely travel on the passenger’s scheduled flight(s). Multiple emotional support animals for a single customer are not permitted. Whether an emotional support or psychiatric service animal is safely capable of traveling on flights eight hours or more in duration will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Passengers may be held responsible for cleaning fees required as a result of any sanitation issues caused by their emotional support or psychiatric service animal’s travel. United will consider all relevant information, including information from the required documentation, when determining whether an emotional support animal or psychiatric service animal may safely travel in the aircraft cabin on the passenger’s itinerary.

Additional documentation beyond United’s requirements described above may also be required for an animal traveling to an international destination, Hawaii or certain other locations. Please note that not all international destinations allow the entry of animals, and restrictions vary by country. Customers should contact the appropriate consulate or embassy to make sure that all necessary procedures are followed.

An animal must sit at the customer's feet without protruding into the aisle, the foot space of adjacent passengers, or certain other areas that must remain unobstructed to comply with safety regulations. Customers may elect to use an approved in-cabin kennel for smaller animals. Unless in a carrying container, the animal will need to be leashed at all times in the airport and in flight. Exit row seating is prohibited. Refer to the U.S. Department of Transportation 14 CFR Part 382 or contact United for additional information.

Customers traveling with an emotional support animal or a psychiatric service animal must submit the required documentation at least 48 hours before the customer’s flight via our secure portal. If we are unable to validate the documentation, if the customer does not provide completed documentation, or if advance notification is not given, the animal may be denied boarding or may be eligible to be transported as a pet, and pet fees may apply. Contact the United Accessibility Desk at 1-800-228-2744 if you have any questions about this process or are booking a flight within 48 hours of the departure time. See Rule 16 of United’s Contract of Carriage for additional information on service animals.

Forms and documents for emotional support and psychiatric service animals
If you’re traveling with an emotional support or psychiatric service animal, you’ll need to complete these forms and submit them for approval through our secure portal: Your forms will be valid one year from the date of the earliest signed authorizations, and you’ll need to submit them at least 48 hours before each trip that you take with your support animal, but the earlier the better. Please bring your original forms with you while you’re traveling and be prepared to show them if we ask to see them.
Accessible travel
Find out more about assistance for customers with disabilities, how to request assistance and safety requirements. If you have questions about travel plans, contact our Accessibility Desk at [email protected], or you may call 1-313-234-6992 (charges may apply) or 1-800-228-2744 within the U.S. or Canada. Elsewhere, call your local United Customer Contact Center and ask for the Accessibility Desk.

Print Wikipost

UA removing Emotional Support Animals option 28 Feb 2021 per new DOT rules Jan 2020

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
My husband is permanently physically disabled, travels with a wheelchair and has a fair amount of anxiety and stress associated with travel. We in fact do travel with an Emotional Support Animal signed off by our Primary Care Physician. I have no problem providing the extra documentation and this will be the fourth year we have been doing so, with never a peep, bark, snarl or snap from the dog. Why? Because he stays in his bag at the airport, at the gate, and 90% of the time, on flights. He is out of the bag for take off and sometimes landing. All 14 lbs which are in a ball laying on my husband's lap. Never an issue for anyone. Glad the rules will be there, it will help clear the TSA checkpoints and gate areas of uncontrolled animals that have no business being on the plane.
iluv2fly, cmdinnyc, exerda and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
My husband is permanently physically disabled, travels with a wheelchair and has a fair amount of anxiety and stress associated with travel. We in fact do travel with an Emotional Support Animal signed off by our Primary Care Physician. I have no problem providing the extra documentation and this will be the fourth year we have been doing so, with never a peep, bark, snarl or snap from the dog. Why? Because he stays in his bag at the airport, at the gate, and 90% of the time, on flights. He is out of the bag for take off and sometimes landing. All 14 lbs which are in a ball laying on my husband's lap. Never an issue for anyone. Glad the rules will be there, it will help clear the TSA checkpoints and gate areas of uncontrolled animals that have no business being on the plane.
Kudos to yous!
Seems like the initial ADA and UA rules were there for EXACTLY your husband's scenario, and subsequently abused by so many. Sad, because it dilutes the actual need for an ESA.
Got so bad that many who would come across your husband and saw his ESA would probably think: "An ESA you say? Sure. Sure it is." and then under their breath: "...saving yourself the 100 bucks there, eh?..."
This new rule (once enforced) will hopefully eliminate much of such doubt and suspicion.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Thanks Delta as without your lead - UA would still be evaluating.
riphamilton likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by topman
Why does it feel like United is always three steps behind Delta?
Delta had a compelling reason to act first. A passenger on a Delta flight was attacked and mauled by an ESA and ended up in the hospital. I can't link to the photos as I'm on mobile but the facial injuries looked gruesome. I suspect the injured passenger's lawyers had something to say about this in any settlement, or DL wanting to avoid having to make future settlements.

If it it weren't for a DL passenger being seriously injured by an ESA, no one would have acted. On this one you shouldn't just say "follow Delta". DL had to take the initiative and UA wisely followed, as will AA.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: united
This kind of reminds me of the mistake fares. So long as it was a handful of travelers who caught a mistake fare, it was worth it for airlines to honor them.

But when a cottage industry sprang up on the web to claim these fares, airlines started facing situations where 10,000 people booked under the mistake fare..So now they don't always honor them.

If it is one person who shows up with a dog without a lot of documentation, sure, it's an emotional support animal. But when websites sprung up essentially saying "here's how you defraud the airlines and get your pets on for free", the airlines had to crack down.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:53 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
I don't know that "treating" is a requirement of making a diagnosis, but a professional who makes a diagnosis without whatever examination it is that professional standards call for, puts his license at risk.

Not a lot of people will put their license at risk and not a lot of people (Corporal Klinger aside) want a mental disease or defect diagnosis in their records so the peacock can tag along.
This is what the ACCA current rule says:

(e) If a passenger seeks to travel with an animal that is used as an emotional support or psychiatric service animal, you are not required to accept the animal for transportation in the cabin unless the passenger provides you current documentation (i.e., no older than one year from the date of the passenger's scheduled initial flight) on the letterhead of a licensed mental health professional (e.g., psychiatrist, psychologist, licensed clinical social worker, including a medical doctor specifically treating the passenger's mental or emotional disability) stating the following:

(1) The passenger has a mental or emotional disability recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders—Fourth Edition (DSM IV);

(2) The passenger needs the emotional support or psychiatric service animal as an accommodation for air travel and/or for activity at the passenger's destination;

(3) The individual providing the assessment is a licensed mental health professional, and the passenger is under his or her professional care; and

(4) The date and type of the mental health professional's license and the state or other jurisdiction in which it was issued.
Nothing more, nothing less. Doesn't talk about proving up the bona fides of the diagnosis to the airline or providing the specific diagnosis to the airline. It talks about the content of a letter to be provided to the airline. A technical problem appears to be that any physician's letter is accepted irrespective of whether the physician is specifically treating the patient's mental health in lieu of that from a mental health professional.

United cannot police the mental-health-professional-patient relationship; the best they can do is detect a pattern of fraud, document it and blacklist internet "factory mental health professionals" much like CVS pharmacies blacklisted some physicians based on their severe outlier controlled substance prescribing practices. Pill mill meet ESAN mill.

If United suspects fraud, United will have that practitioner's license number and can complain to the appropriate licensing body. United also (apparently, according to their website) calls the issuer of a letter to verify that the letter isn't fake. That is a good opportunity for United to gauge fraud-- if they are calling the same people every day to verify letters for passengers all over the country. Not many people travel 800 miles to see their psychiatrist or get a DSM diagnosis over the internet.

For the record, I do not travel with an ESAN or own an animal, but I'm not allergic to any (that I know of) either.
SFO 1K and TrayflowInUK like this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Way to got UA (and DL). Long overdue move! ^
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: united
One other thing. The notion that there is no safe way to ship your animals other than in the passenger cabin is false.

There are specialized services that handle the shipment of animals. If you ever order a pet from a distant breeder, the breeder will likely use one of these operations. They are extremely reliable. I had a bit of experience with these companies when I ran a small rabbit breeding operation when I was young. None of the breeders I knew ever lost an animal in shipment.

I would assume this is how the large operations get their dogs to the major national dog shows, for instance. Those dogs aren't going in a passenger cabin. And they aren't dying in transit.

The thing is, these services are expensive and you don't get to travel next to your pet. But this whole "my dog will die in the hold" argument is a rationalization.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dilanesp
But this whole "my dog will die in the hold" argument is a rationalization.
I agree - let's bring in some actual facts. (my cats have traveled "in the hold" 10's of thousands of miles.)

In 2016, UA transported over 109,000 animals - 9 died. That's it.
RooseveltL likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:43 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just looking at that picture brings me emotional support.
narvik and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:50 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Never an issue for anyone.
Except those around him who are allergic to dogs.....
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I applaud this decision.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Great news!
Some flights were becoming airborne menageries.
Pets belong in the hold.
RooseveltL likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by grapegrower
Great news!
Some flights were becoming airborne menageries.
Pets belong in the hold.
(bolding mine)
Disagree completely, and this whole thread is not really about that.
I haven't read too many complaints about UA allowing (paid) small pets in the cabin on FT. Well maybe the occasional sprinkling of overcrowding (and not following UA policy) for flights to SKB and some destinations to Florida.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by 1P
Except those around him who are allergic to dogs.....
We also ignore those who have fear of dogs. I’m certain the guy mull on Delta flight won’t be comfortable sitting next to any animal in confined space ever again.
Ive witness a dog bite a FA on a flight and I held in a necessary bathroom visit remainder of flight because I was scared of Cujo. While the owner napped calmly I was on pins and needles with full bladder, so agree with allergic folks but many more are impacted or discomforted by the flying zoo. Great first step at policy United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.