Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

does UA allow changing of MP # if it's a very unlucky number? (***66613)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

does UA allow changing of MP # if it's a very unlucky number? (***66613)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by GuyverII
Reminds me of the time I sat next to a Numerologist. She gave me "special numbers" to use in that week's lottery.

Of course, none of the numbers won.
Clearly, yu didn't play them properly.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
the "family member" should have addressed it when the number was originally issued. Especially if it was so traumatic .. but I am confused.. does she not have the same issue that the OP does regarding the numbers?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:43 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
But those were real crashes. If you do a search for AA 77, you should expect to read an article about a hijacked plane that crashed into the Pentagon, not a link to flightaware with some random flight going from DFW to ORD.

The irrational fear of 666 or 13 doesn't harm anyone, let alone crash a plane; just a waste of time.
You joke, but many superstitions that we regard as so laughable now, were very real things for some people to act on in the distant past. Witchery, anyone? Fear of foreigners? You can be sure that 666 and 13 were used in a religious way at some point to hurt / disadvantage someone associated with those numbers.

Even retiring sports numbers of people who died, or flights that crashed, are also just a form of "superstition" if you think of it. They mean nothing and will not change anything about the people they affected, but we "respect" them for the benefit and social behavior of the living, yes?

I say all this just to point out that a world where we all believe a little less in symbols / irrational attachment to numbers (or other similar things) would be great. In the meantime, if an airline or agency is going to allow changing numbers for superstition, they'd better realize that there's a lot of superstitions...
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by NH_Clark
the "family member" should have addressed it when the number was originally issued. Especially if it was so traumatic .. but I am confused.. does she not have the same issue that the OP does regarding the numbers?

"Family Members" that aren't as astute as FTer's many times need to ask what they should do, and in doing so may not be as quick on the draw as many cow-poke's!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Originally Posted by Two Bee
"Family Members" that aren't as astute as FTer's many times need to ask what they should do, and in doing so may not be as quick on the draw as many cow-poke's!
probably the same reason that after 40+ years of driving and a dozen cars owned/leased later, I have never know what the license plate number were.... I never understand why people bother with personalized vanity license plates... it's just a bunch of numbers/letters that the cops track you down with(or send you speeding camera tickets)...
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by LondonElite
This is the funniest thread I've read in a few weeks.
was even funnier a day earlier
I never understand why people bother with personalized vanity license plates... it's just a bunch of numbers/letters that the cops track you down with(or send you speeding camera tickets)...
They are surprisingly cheap and I just ordered one with personal value that I suspect , based on demographics, will be taken in the near future . Just to keep others from having it.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, UA, AA, CX, SQ
if you think yours is bad, mine ends in 924, Which in Chinese sounds like “your dog can easily die in an untimely manner”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.