Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

does UA allow changing of MP # if it's a very unlucky number? (***66613)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2018, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LH, BA

I was calling UA for a family member living overseas because her 1K kit never arrived. Her current 1K card expires at the end of this month.

UA agent pulled up the record and it showed that the kit was shipped back in November. The agent requested another kit to be shipped.

That's when I realized that her MileagePlus account number was kind of weird..... ***66613 (the *** being three letters)

666 and 13? For someone superstitious, it sure looks very unlucky or downright scary. well... unless one is the anti-Christ or a supporter or something....

Does UA ever allow changing of account numbers? Are there any downsides to having the number changed?

BTW... When I immigrated to the US 35 years ago, I was given a social security number that was ##1-31-3226. (13 followed by 13... and the 226 was like saying 13 x 2 = 26, so it was like 13, 13, 13 in the SSN#) Several years later, I had it changed at the social security office and they were very sympathetic after I explained the reason. It did take a little work to have all my records updated with my new SSN#, but it was worth it.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I wouldnt even give it a 2nd thought, especially as 'lucky' and 'unlucky' is very regional specific.
Zeeb likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
OP's username checks out.

i'd assume that changing a MP number couldn't be as time consuming as dealing with the SSA, but this is UA we're talking about.
GDL likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
UA has a revenue opportunity here from the superstitious crowd... for a fee of ($250? whatever the market price is for placating the less intelligent)... they will be happy to assign you an MP number with 777 in it.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia is the term for fear of number 666 @:-)
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
If you're worried enough that having the adjacent digits 2 and 6 as part of your number is unlucky because 26 is 13x2 then I'd bet you could easily find fault with pretty much any number that was assigned to yu. Think of these chilling (and equally absurd) related sequences to worry about:

169 is 13*13
3222 .. 3*222=666
39 is 3*13
etc.

Where does it end?!
Fraser, trooper, ajGoes and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by geometry
Does UA ever allow changing
As you are aware, the OP must be the one that needs to have the # changed, but you can call MP for an answer as to how to do it. It may take a few calls to get a straight answer, as many times the person answering makes stuff up. The problem comes when a new # is given, as it may be just as bad, and I don't know if they will let you pick a # from a group, like getting a phone #. When our UA #'s were changed during the merger, I went thru about 7 of them, before I got my 3's, and not unlucky 4's (for me). I just kept reapplying until I was comfortable, but them days are over.

Last edited by Two Bee; Jan 10, 2018 at 12:41 pm
Old Jan 10, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Just think of it this way: in certain Asian cultures, you've got a number that's about as lucky as they can get! (short of rolling all eights ...)
trooper and Two Bee like this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I can answer unequivocally yes. My dad and I both have (had) numbers that are VD######. He hated having VD so much in his that he called and they issued him a new number and transferred his miles, etc. I kept mine, because I think its hilarious.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:41 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Well, one could certainly argue that airlines are sensitive to the perceived meaning of numbers. After all, they will stop numbering a flight with a certain number if that has been associated with a crash, right? And no one would rationally believe that a flight having a certain number leads to it being any less safe.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Friday the 13th is a lucky day.

And I'd rather laugh with the sinners with 666 than cry with the saints
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by TA
Well, one could certainly argue that airlines are sensitive to the perceived meaning of numbers. After all, they will stop numbering a flight with a certain number if that has been associated with a crash, right? And no one would rationally believe that a flight having a certain number leads to it being any less safe.
Correct. In fact, I recall members on this forum going apoplectic during the merger when (for a VERY SHORT) period of time, UA93 was loaded into the schedule

None the less, I would recommend to the OP to contact UA rather than ask here.

It is bad luck to be superstitious
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
I can answer unequivocally yes. My dad and I both have (had) numbers that are VD######. He hated having VD so much in his that he called and they issued him a new number and transferred his miles, etc. I kept mine, because I think its hilarious.
Sorry you both had VD.
(having a good laugh in my office with this thread)
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Originally Posted by riphamilton
OP's username checks out.

i'd assume that changing a MP number couldn't be as time consuming as dealing with the SSA, but this is UA we're talking about.
The SSA office was extremely understanding and accepted my request as soon as they saw my number. I sat next to the employee for about 15 minutes while she did all the paperwork for me. A few days later, another employee from SSA headquarters(?) called me and verified that I was sure about the # change. Within 2 weeks after that, I received a new social security card in the mail with a new SSN#. That ended the easy part. Going down to the DMV to update my record with the new SS# was another matter... I waited in line for 2+ hours and another hour while the DMV employees figured out how to change the SS# in someone's driving record. (apparently they have never done one at that office) Credit card companies and banks were much easier... they just wanted me to fax the new social security cards to them. By the way, my credit history did not change... it somehow just knew that I got a new SS#.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.