FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions -Free STBY for all, SDC for all elites (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1886554-ua-same-day-travel-change-sdc-fees-questions-free-stby-all-sdc-all-elites.html)

lsquare Mar 23, 2024 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI (Post 36103915)
Valid on all UA flights, regardless of where you originate. Must be UA-only flights. And of course many stations only have one flight a day (e.g. Asia and Africa) but LHR-SFO will have options for you including non-stops and connecting itineraries.

-RM

My understanding is that those flights can't have SDFC.

DLade737 Mar 23, 2024 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 36103971)

sorry what is SDFC?

WineCountryUA Mar 23, 2024 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by DLade737 (Post 36103992)
sorry what is SDFC?

A term some other carrier might use, UA's term is SDC -- "Same Day Change"

The reason once-a-day flights is a problem is the new and alternative flight must be within the same 24 hour window to make the change but if you have not board your original flight 15-30 minutes before that point is reach for once-a-day flights, your ticket will be cancelled, The practical limit is 23 hours or less for SDC.

RobOnLI Mar 23, 2024 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 36103971)

Correct. Which is why I called it out separately but LHR-SFO doesn't qualify and has plenty of connections if the non-stops aren't available (fare routing rules aside).

For outstations with once-a-day flights (e.g. South America to IAH or Asia to SFO, etc.), if your ticket originated in the US then you can just change your flight using the flight change button and move up (or back) 24 hours which is similar to SDC. Both require the same fare class to be available for a free change.

-RM

unitedwildcat Mar 26, 2024 3:03 pm

Can you SDC from a partner segment (not codeshare) to UA metal?

On a 016 ticket

AUSNYCflyer Mar 26, 2024 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by unitedwildcat (Post 36112480)
Can you SDC from a partner segment (not codeshare) to UA metal?

On a 016 ticket

Personally I've had mixed luck doing this - sometimes approved other times it's been denied. I do think it would be difficult to handle this any other way than an agent, since the UA app/website will block the check-in flow if the next coupon is not on UA metal.

unitedwildcat Mar 26, 2024 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by AUSNYCflyer (Post 36112527)
Personally I've had mixed luck doing this - sometimes approved other times it's been denied. I do think it would be difficult to handle this any other way than an agent, since the UA app/website will block the check-in flow if the next coupon is not on UA metal.

that makes sense that it’s a YMMV situation. I realized the destination I’m looking at is JFK and not EWR, which makes it a moot point for the itinerary I’m considering anyway. thank you!

SPN Lifer Mar 26, 2024 7:11 pm

From the Wikipost:

Quote:
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.

ThIs provides an incentive for us to spend cash on my wife's General Member ticket to put her on the same passenger name record (PNR) instead of often redeeming miles for her to accompany me. :o

I suppose we would need to evaluate both the likelihood and possibility of any such same day change (SDC) as a mere MileagePlus™ Premier Silver. Since most UA flights to Saipan (SPN) are only daily, maybe it's not such a strong motivator after all. ;)

lsquare Mar 27, 2024 7:25 pm

Is it possible to do the following to gain more time in San Francisco?

I fly UA892 on May 19th and am scheduled to fly UA610 on May 20th, which departs at 1:10 PM.

The last SFO-EWR flight (UA549) leaves at 11:45 PM. If I want to depart on May 21st, is there any way to do an SDFC to the 21st, and essentially get a stopover in San Francisco? If not, can I do an SDFC to UA549, and then do another SDFC to another flight on the 21st? Of course, there has to be space in the same fare class.

fumje Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 36115681)
Is it possible to do the following to gain more time in San Francisco?

I fly UA892 on May 19th and am scheduled to fly UA610 on May 20th, which departs at 1:10 PM.

The last SFO-EWR flight (UA549) leaves at 11:45 PM. If I want to depart on May 21st, is there any way to do an SDFC to the 21st, and essentially get a stopover in San Francisco? If not, can I do an SDFC to UA549, and then do another SDFC to another flight on the 21st? Of course, there has to be space in the same fare class.

Assuming all those flight numbers are SFO-EWR, yes, that's correct. You can make progressive changes, subject to inventory availability. If you have a discount economy fare though, around S / T or below, don't expect inventory to be open.

lsquare Mar 28, 2024 11:17 am

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 36116738)
Assuming all those flight numbers are SFO-EWR, yes, that's correct. You can make progressive changes, subject to inventory availability. If you have a discount economy fare though, around S / T or below, don't expect inventory to be open.

I get it, but it's worth a shot, right? If it's free, then why not? I know SFO-EWR flights can get full quickly.

fumje Mar 28, 2024 11:19 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 36117332)
I get it, but it's worth a shot, right? If it's free, then why not? I know SFO-EWR flights can get full quickly.

Yes, best advice is check early and often. If you don't have other schedule constraints, change with abandon!

Microwave Mar 29, 2024 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Microwave (Post 36097958)
I bought my ticket through Egencia, it was LHR-IAH-SEA and back the same way, and it ended up being a bulk fare booked into A. As it happens, it's a bulk fare—lucky me. Normally I wouldn't book through Houston when trying to upgrade, but those flights were the only ones on the dates I needed with A inventory (everything else was booking into O for insanely high prices). Tomorrow I am returning to London, and of course the IAH-LHR is looking like an impossible upgrade at this point, so I was hoping to change to another flight into London with a better chance to upgrade, though of course the agent said that bulk fares are ineligible for SDC.

I found a 5 year old post in the archive indicating that bulk fares were ineligible for SDC, and wanted to confirm whether this is still the case. In addition, I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with making same-day changes via OLCI (as opposed to calling), as sometimes it's possible to make changes online that cannot be done over the phone. When I tried to do it myself, it was looking for flights with PZ inventory since my SEA-IAH upgrade has already cleared—I am asking this specific question as if putting myself back into B would allow the online system to let me do a SDC, I would gladly call and ask the upgrade to be reversed, though if there's no hope I'd prefer to stay up front for that flight at least. TIA for the advice!

To circle back, the phone agent wouldn’t touch the booking with a barge pole, but a very helpful UC agent in SEA rebooked me onto SEA-EWR-LHR, with instant upgrade PN space available for the domestic flight, and the international flight clearing about 2 hours after the rebooking (and well before getting to EWR, so Polaris Lounge access secured as well). I’ll remember not to book a bulk fare next time, but this time it ended up working out.

goleafs67 Apr 3, 2024 5:52 pm

Experience moving from AC codeshare to UA metal

I know the wiki says generally this may be possible, but does anyone have experience with the following:
  • 016 ticket booked on a UA codeshare transborder flight on AC metal
  • Want to do a SDC to a UA metal flight on exact same city pair
Has anyone done this successfully via the UA app offering the option to SDC within 24 hours of departure? Alternatively if the app doesn't show options, can a call to the Premier Desk do the trick or will I be HUCAing?

Thanks ​​​

seawolf Apr 3, 2024 8:49 pm

The wiki mention SDC just need same cabin (verbiage on same booking code is strickend out). Is that accurate? Several post from 2024 mention you need same original booking code to be avialable.

Thanks.